Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Agreed OP. Our state DNR hunting guide has a woman out bird hunting on the cover this year, it seems like I’ve seen more woman, Asians, kids, and black men on the cover than I have adult white men, the demographic buying probably 90% of the licenses sold. I know of and have personally seen a handful of woman that hunt not including my wife. She doesn’t hunt but will sometimes come with me. I saw a black guy in the woods once. I’ve known a few others that hunt.

Woman are way over represented as a percent of the hunting public in ads. Some of it is probably virtue signaling under the guise of hunter recruitment and no doubt some of it, probably most of it is showing unusually attractive woman hunting as a way to get the attention of men.

The women and the blacks in outdoor advertising make me want to up chuck....guess next we'll have to look at adds of queerz in the outdoors.

Funny, I'd prefer less misogynist and racists in the outdoors. grin

Circa 91 I was getting my gear together to leave camp for the afternoon blackpowder Elk hunt near Yakima WA and a solo female hunter called out to the camp to see how we were doing. Really attractive and she and her brother were sharing a camper down the road. I've seen lots of other females over the years in the field but that one always stuck with me.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
3 of my best hunting buddies are female. 2 of them being my daughters, the third a co worker who trains her own bird dogs, i'd put her up against most make hunters ive seen as actually ahving a clue about the game they hunt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife gets up before Dawn, and Has camo.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I see the misogynists and racists are leaking down from the freak show.
Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, this isn't some sort of conspiracy theory, and marketing clothing and other gear for an entirely new demographic of hunters might be a good business decision?
I don't find it shocking that companies/DNRs market towards a demographic that spends lots of money on things they are in to. My wife's yoga pant collection costs way more than I have in hunting duds. I can only imagine how much we'd spend on hunting 'twer she in to it.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Couple of things I've noticed last few years............1. there's a lot of attractive woman on youtube and hunting channels doing hunting content. Why are they all attractive? 2. Every year here there's 3 or 4 local pictures of attractive woman killing big bucks out of ground blinds with crossbows opening week. You can set your watch by it it's so obligatory. I'm not certain what this all implies, but it doesn't seem to imply a groundswell of hunting interest by the general female population. I'd bet 75 percent of the female hunting gear is bought by men wishfully thinking they can get their significant other interested. I guess what I'm fearing is hunting is a dying sport and it's an illusion that woman are going to revive it. Maybe it's different other places but not around here from what I've seen so far.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
At the risk of stating the obvious! If you are not seeing them the camo must really work.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I disagree with all you guys that think a female hunter just tags along with her male partner. My Daughter Sandi has harvested Mule and Blacktail deer, a ton of Turkeys and a pig thrown in every once in a while. She has also tournament fished with me until age took it tole on me. She did a lot of this on her own. Along with this my two granddaughters from my youngest Daughter also love to hunt. Being Nurses they have no problem gutting a deer, pig or turkey. The female hunting population has greatly increased over the last ten years hence clothing being made for them only makes sense. The other advantage of women taking up the sport is that they are usually very vocal in their support of it which some of their male counterparts are not. The other advantage I see is I have more fun hunting with them than I do with a bunch of arrogant men only hunt jerks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a daughter and a niece who are better hunters and shooters than most of my hunting friends who are male. I am proud of that and hope the trend of all different demographics joining the outdoor hunting sports continues to grow. It can only be good for us as outdoorsmen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pavementends
At the risk of stating the obvious! If you are not seeing them the camo must really work.

Ka-boom! Best answer of the week!!

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I know quite a few women who hunt. Some of them go by themselves, some don't, and most of them are better hunters than me.

My wife isn't into hunting, but she is a better shot than I am.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Couple of things I've noticed last few years............1. there's a lot of attractive woman on youtube and hunting channels doing hunting content. Why are they all attractive? 2. Every year here there's 3 or 4 local pictures of attractive woman killing big bucks out of ground blinds with crossbows opening week. You can set your watch by it it's so obligatory. I'm not certain what this all implies, but it doesn't seem to imply a groundswell of hunting interest by the general female population. I'd bet 75 percent of the female hunting gear is bought by men wishfully thinking they can get their significant other interested. I guess what I'm fearing is hunting is a dying sport and it's an illusion that woman are going to revive it. Maybe it's different other places but not around here from what I've seen so far.

I think its bought by a bunch of cross dressers that don't have to worry what their friends think. And you thought Bob was putting on weight when you were watching his azz climb the ridge ahead of you. Its the cut of those pants.

Hunt or shoot birds with a friend at his club. Seen several women hunting and working their dogs alone. Good looking and trim. Not sitting home eating the cookies she bakes for the kids and killing a bottle of vodka per day.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Maybe they're so skilled at hunting. They remain secluded.
:-)

I've seen plenty with their spouse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Teal
Interesting - I belong to internet groups other than here - I'd say I've seen a lot more female, black, asian and other minority participation there than what this place would have you believe happens. Blacks particularly seem to be taking up bowhunting quite a bit and I see women represented quite a bit within the flyfishin and bird hunting community. Many in target shooting as well.

It's a shame that those folks don't feel comfortable posting here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cookie does not do a lot of hunting, but a good bit of the issue is our difficultly at drawing quality tags. She only does big game with no interest in the smaller warm fuzzies. All it takes is a suggestion, however, and she's ready to head out the door with her cameras in any season. She did do a week long solo run into Montana recently for elk and moose. No luck with the moose.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Titled this one "turn around damnit," as this guy rose from behind the log as she was heading back to our rig.

Cookie is shorter than average and does especially well in thick situations. I suspect that's due to her field of vision being below the browse line.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/08/21.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know a few women hunters, but not many. And, no, I've never seen one out in the wilds without a husband or boyfriend or daddy.

However, I do believe female hunters are more prevalent in the whitetail woods back east than they are out west where, if you live in the country, it's relatively easy to get out and hunt and relatively easy to get your deer back home after you shoot it. Notice, I said relatively, since I'm sure there are some difficult places to get one out of back east. But at least you're not having to drag it over a mountain or two or pack it out on your back.

Additionally, I think a lot of women that live in the country just like camo and they like clothes that are designed to fit them correctly. So they buy the stuff. They may not be hunting in it, but they're wearing it. Those marketing people wouldn't keep putting it out there if people weren't buying it.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I was in WY earlier in the week. Ran into a truck hunting near my area so I walked over to see which way they were hunting. It was 2 couples. Both the men and women were both decked out in modern, performance camo like Sitka and Kuiu.

Also saw other women hunting across the sage and they were mixed between jeans, camo shirts, and some other garden variety camo.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The wives of a couple of guys in our club hunt with their hubbies. Another sometimes comes along to watch.

Two years ago one of the guys was watching a food plot surrounded by a cutover a couple of years old in the morning. He watched a good buck bed down late that morning next to a stream side management zone. He snuck out, called his wife and told her to get there quick. It took her a while to change and get to the club. They were able to get back into the stand but the buck had moved.

They glassed a little while and eventually she picked out the buck but he was obscured by some brush. She kept the rifle on him and when he eventually stood up she popped him with a 6.5 Creed and he dropped right there. 250 yards…no problem.

Needless to say, she was excited and couldn’t stop talking when they got back to the skinning rack.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've taught a lot of young women in my hunter ed classes, about a 50:50 ratio to young men in fact. So the desire to hunt seems about the same for both sexes at a young age. I'm a man, so I don't presume to know the reason I don't see more women in the field by themselves, but if I was to guess, it's because of the small percentage of men who take exception to women participating in what they define as a "men's" activity. That attitude seems to make women uncomfortable. So they generally look for companions to hunt with. They don't go out alone. I know a few very capable and experienced women hunters. I just wish our hunting community allowed more women to feel comfortable doing what they love, without judgement, and without the insecurity of dealing with a few [bleep]. Women hunters that I have met and hunted with are every bit as competent, and enjoy themselves just as much as any man. But they are not as free to do what they want as most men. At least that's what I've observed.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/11/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Teal
Interesting - I belong to internet groups other than here - I'd say I've seen a lot more female, black, asian and other minority participation there than what this place would have you believe happens. Blacks particularly seem to be taking up bowhunting quite a bit and I see women represented quite a bit within the flyfishin and bird hunting community. Many in target shooting as well. GF's 70 year old mother loves to shoot bullseye league here in town.

There are A LOT of females that hunt. I'd say that right now (fall) - 3 out of 5 women I see in my area have some sort of cammo on. I do live in farm country where hunting is part of the local tradition tho.

Spear chucking season is just around the corner

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know, I saw women hunting with other women 30 years ago. No man in sight. I have a friend who gets together with other women every Sept for their annual women's bowhunt. They got 2 bull elk this year, one being a monster 6 point. I knew a lady (She died 30 years ago) who would go out to get deer and elk to feed her family when her husband was away working. She was a tough lady. Over 80 when she died. Of course red plaid or her only winter coat were more in style then.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.