Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job! Fun read.

It's better to be lucky... laugh though you were good, and far better prepared than most hunters to actually shoot what showed up, not just get excited and tell us a story of how it got away.

Good follow-up tracking as well. After shooting several called ones and having a hard time tracking soft footed creature on moss and duff, we try to get an exit hole and a blood trail. Lions are fairly easy to kill, but often extremely hard to find once shot, as you found. You did well all the way.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cool story and also love the pics of your processing help. Always good to get them involved. I can remember when my girls were young they would "help"/watch when I processed deer and the oldest was always pulling silver skin off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work!

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Way too cool nimrod. Congrats!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Damn cool way to get a cat, congrats. Treat the meet like pork. My wife roasted a whole hindquarter with cloves and some kind of orange glaze, spectacular.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is about as good as it gets. Congratulations

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool story and nice score. The best though is the pic of your daughter running the grinder takes me back years when mine did that. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice cat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice! Well done!

I'd love to get the story on my website if you don't mind. (Happy to put in your website with it.)

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Cool story and nice score. The best though is the pic of your daughter running the grinder takes me back years when mine did that. Mb

She’s a trooper. Always trying to shoot up my ammo but willing to help reload too. Her older sister likes the wrapping part of putting up meat so they make a good team.

Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Nice! Well done!

I'd love to get the story on my website if you don't mind. (Happy to put in your website with it.)

Thanks! For inspiration I’ve watched your videos and read stories on your website. You’re welcome to use my story!

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice job. I'm in your neck of the woods and I run across lions every once in awhile. Idaho is highly populated with them. Last weekend out riding my enduro I had one pop out on the trail in front of me that looked like the size of a African lioness. Good grief that thing was a monster. Most of them I've seen are lithe and thin but this looked like it had escaped from a zoo being big and well fed.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Outstanding write up! Thanks for sharing. You took the time to describe the hunt, took the trophy pic and even found and took pics of the bullet. Great job!

Last edited by Razorhog; 10/08/21. Reason: added
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Thanks everyone!

[quote=30338]Real cool story. Congrats. Never crockpotted a skull. Post pics of that when done please.

Will do. Ever since the wife got an Instapot the crock pot has been available. I've done a few but it is limited to what fits in the pot. They do a great job of low and slow. Keeps me from over cooking/boiling skulls which is super lame.

Jerry, I wouldn't reach for the 10.5" 223 for mountain lion but if that is all I have I'm not passing grin My 12.5" Grendel would probably get the nod if I was calling specifically for lion or wolf.
I've killed a fair amount of critters with a 223 and have confidence in it. I could have shot her a few inches farther forward and probably had a quicker death. I was ~4" inches behind the shoulder instead of tucked next to it. Caught the back of the lungs instead of the center. She only went ~75 yards.

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wow, great hunt but I don't think I want to hear anything breathing that I can't see!!

It was not a comfortable situation and I was glad I was not alone!!

Yes Indeed !! That was my point.

I have used my 22 semi pistol WHEN it was all I had. I understand.

Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

EPIC!

Congrats! I had to sort out a wounded bobcat in thick cover one time and treaded uber-lightly - I can't imagine going into the brush after one of those things. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Local friend here, got a Fox Pro, and was using the turkey call to try and call in coyotes with it...

It attracted more bear and Cougars than coyotes.... of course the coyotes may have been staying out of the area due to the amount of bear and cougars
in the hills up behind his home.

I've had cats track me when I've been out hunting at altitude, seeing their foot prints in the snow, where they have followed me from my truck on a walk and back...
seeing their foot prints in my foot prints... yet cats are as silent as a shadow....

real cool story Nimrod and congrats on your catch..... I think we all loved the pic including your daughter making sausage......

We've got a coyote running around our neighborhood, the size of a German Shepard... I'd like to take that thing down...

about 1 AM last night, I heard it real close to my place, as I heard the moans of a small puppy it had evidently caught close by, out in its yard...

I'll go look for it this morning if they is anything left of the poor puppy.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats!

Good work all around!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Neat story. Hearing it breathing without being able to see the cat might have justified a “sound shot” in the dark. Just kidding 😊

In over 25 years of hunting in Colorado, I’ve only seen a couple of lions while elk hunting. I’ve also seen their tracks in my tracks in the snow. It makes you wonder…..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool and I’m jealous. I’ve called in one that I know of by the tracks but I didn’t see it. Called lots of coyotes bobcat and fox still waiting to get a lion that I called.

Bet that was quite a thrill.

I’m still using my knife!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mountain lion is good eating. Congrats

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,521
Posts18,452,735
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.