Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by OldHat

2) I'd say a major blunder is letting the enemy know you were right next to them yet could not figure out enough info to prevent us from ramming them. Really, what the hell good is that. They now KNOW we can't hear them. They now KNOW their subs are pretty good. They gained intel from the blunder.

No. Now they know they can't hear us but we know exactly where they are. They know their subs aren't as good as they were told they were. How would you feel if you found out you'd have to fight someone you can't see but they can see you.

Probably the same feeling Clarice Starling had in The Silence of the Lambs when she faced off with Buffalo Bill in the basement scene where it was pitch black and he had the night vision goggles……his outreached hand, her waving her 38 around……

Last edited by JTrapper73; 10/08/21.
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
At this point all we know is that the NEWS said the sub hit something which gives the impression that our boat did the hitting but the only ones that know are the crew members. Whale? Unknown seamount? Another.sub?

In the end, we (meaning those of us here on the “Fire) will never know what it was unless 1.it was an unknown object and the Navy wants the public to know. or 2. the Chicoms report a problem with one of their boats. If there was another boat involved we’ll never know who was the “hitter” and who was the “hittee”. Political points and intelligence could be gained from either scenario. Even if the CO remains or he is relieved, that wouldn’t be proof of an “accident “ or an “accidentally on purpose” bump either. Only the board of inquiry and those with a need to know will be privy to the info.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe Rdensck will check in.
I think he knows a little about subs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.

Navy Chief (Ret.)

I'm not a moron. I'm not going to play in traffic. I am certainly going to let the navy run the navy, obviously.

My only point is I can't in any scenario see how this was not a major blunder.

Then let the Chief enlighten you. Noted hazards to navigation are charted and a sub is only going to operate in an area submerged if they have up to date charts. Given the location of this the best bet is China was doing something crazy. Perhaps China is building something or moved something into the area without notifying the International Maritime organizations as required. Or they may have been trailing one of our subs very closely. We used to do that with Russia. The sonar on a sub isn't very effective out the ass end because the cavitation of the screw churns the water so if they were right on out tail they are hard to detect. My money is on the tailing scenario.

Fools like you have watched too many movies and don't have a clue about operating on the ocean. Yet you're here flapping your gums which makes you a moron. Collisions at sea are not new and they aren't that rare. But in today's world things get news coverage when they didn't 20 years ago. Get it?

Now go play in traffic.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a lost shipping container?

Bruce

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

I know, that comms tape and that story, preceded every SUBSAFE Program and QA School the Navy ever sent me too. They always used to say "That SubSafe Certification Manual" was written in their blood...

Been a looooong time, but I still remember filling out those SUBSAFE work packages, and staring at that hydro pump chugging away testing repairs.

Addition of the emergency ballast tank blow system was another outcome of the loss of Thresher, and there were some design and operations changes on the reactor to improve overall survivability.

Not sure there's been anything close to a serious event pointing at flaws in the the basic overall sub design since then. I'm not saying I felt bad about collecting hazardous duty pay, but the record since the 60s has been pretty good.

None of that really mitigates running into stuff though, that's a whole 'nother story.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.

Navy Chief (Ret.)

I'm not a moron. I'm not going to play in traffic. I am certainly going to let the navy run the navy, obviously.

Then let the Chief enlighten you. Noted hazards to navigation are charted and a sub is only going to operate in an area submerged if they have up to date charts. Given the location of this the best bet is China was doing something crazy. Perhaps China is building something or moved something into the area without notifying the International Maritime organizations as required. Or they may have been trailing one of our subs very closely. We used to do that with Russia. The sonar on a sub isn't very effective out the ass end because the cavitation of the screw churns the water so if they were right on out tail they are hard to detect. My money is on the tailing scenario.

Fools like you have watched too many movies and don't have a clue about operating on the ocean. Yet you're here flapping your gums which makes you a moron. Collisions at sea are not new and they aren't that rare. But in today's world things get news coverage when they didn't 20 years ago. Get it?

Now go play in traffic.

I don't watch any navy war movies.

You seem to be proposing that the Chinese were tailing and did the hitting with out us knowing. Okay. The common theme here is that we hit them, and that was what I was addressing. If they hit us because we could not detect them then that is bad news for us.

If there is a war I suspect the Chinese may place uncharted objects in the ocean for us to run into. That seems like a problem.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MAC

Navy Chief (Ret.)

Great.

Please address the navigational "misshaps" the last fews years off our own coast.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys with big balls, playing with big toys, in a politically and militarily hostile region, and an even more hostile environment.

What could go wrong?

There are elements of the military that operate on the edge.

Neverbeen second guessers abound...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MAC

Navy Chief (Ret.)

Thanks Chief

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm not buying the "ignorant act" ....they have a real good idea. Probably some secret Chinese mission to Taiwan.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RufusG

Originally Posted by las
Anyone here think the Thresher blew up/sank on it's own, back in the day?

We will never know.

Yeah, actually, we’re all pretty sure she was lost during sea trials due to faulty brazing, welding. Crew and shipyard personnel around 129 lost. This caused the Navy to rethink how they certify certain systems and brought about the implementation of the SUBSAFE Certification Program.

The one you’re thinking about, Scorpion, that’s another story…

Thresher actually had some measure of voice comms with surface ships right up to the end.

Arrgh, you are right- Scorpion.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The crew of the SeaWolf know exactly what they hit. The crew of the "something" only had a "WHAT THE..." moment. But in Chinese or Korean.

The real question is, is it an accident, Chinese grabassery or an engineered event designed test out a response.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The USS Connecticut's is said to be in stable condition after the Thursday incident with damage inspections on going....

Link

Phil

Sorry they hit your hero's sub.

Take it to grinder.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Navy Chief (Ret.)

Now go play in traffic.

Were you on subs?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Was,nt there a game of chicken called Crazy Ivan? With the Rissians Sub turning around as we followed them and came straight at our Sub. Is there any truth to that?

Crazy Ivan was a midstride full reverse as described by Tom Clancy in Red October.

Eight years ago, the San Francisco drove head first into the side of an undersea mountain. How the fugg that happened I have no idea. Even an antique inertial positioning system should have been more accurate than that.

In the case of the Connecticut, a couple theories have been advanced. One being a shipping container suspended midlevel in the ocean. That is entirely plausible, as even the largest container would be totally undetectable by anything other than active sonar. Which has been explained earlier is almost never used by a submerged vessel.

Enemy subs usually make some noise, even if if suspended in a static position. There will be air circulation and some slight machinery noise. But the newest generations of diesel-electric are damned quiet when running on battery.

With the highest tech sonar we have available, our boat would have to be very close to hear them.

We may never know. Maybe they drove her into the side of a mountain. Maybe they hit a mine. Maybe the Chi-coms dropped a depth charge or a torpedo on her.

And then, just possibly, they had heard faint whispers from another boat, and they were trying to isolate or flush the target.

Ever step on a pheasant before it flushed?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I know, that comms tape and that story, preceded every SUBSAFE Program and QA School the Navy ever sent me too. They always used to say "That SubSafe Certification Manual" was written in their blood...

Been a looooong time, but I still remember filling out those SUBSAFE work packages, and staring at that hydro pump chugging away testing repairs.

Addition of the emergency ballast tank blow system was another outcome of the loss of Thresher, and there were some design and operations changes on the reactor to improve overall survivability.

Not sure there's been anything close to a serious event pointing at flaws in the the basic overall sub design since then. I'm not saying I felt bad about collecting hazardous duty pay, but the record since the 60s has been pretty good.

None of that really mitigates running into stuff though, that's a whole 'nother story.

I would say the survival after an undersea collision of the San Francisco is a testament to the efficacy of the sub-safe program. As will be the safe arrival of the Connecticut into harbor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well, I was NOT a submariner, but I spent 20+ years assessing, pulling, overhauling, collimating and reinstalling periscopes and their fairings, and other masts and antennas in the sail.
I remember 100% procedural compliance to what was written in those SUBSAFE or Controlled Work Packages, or (best case) stripes tend to fall off of your shirt, and (worst case), a catastrophic failure and sailors die.
I remember making round covers for two removed periscopes (that's a pair of 7.5" holes right into the people tank!), in prep for a rare hurricane that came through New London back in the 90's. 3/8" steel plate, cut to fit just inside the bolt pattern of the hull gland, lined with common rubber gasket material, glued in place, and held snug with some double nutted all-thread. That boat broke her storm lines about 2100 or so and was drifting in the Thames River. Her CO put her on the river bottom, with only those steel plates and rubber gaskets in place, and she stayed dry. (phew...)

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by johnw
Guys with big balls, playing with big toys, in a politically and militarily hostile region, and an even more hostile environment.

What could go wrong?

There are elements of the military that operate on the edge.

Neverbeen second guessers abound...

No one is questioning anyone's ball size.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,521
Posts18,452,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.