Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the 4" Buckmark.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did someone say 4" Buckmark?......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

or with the 4" Tacsol and suppressor.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i suggest a ruger wrangler, which o.p. tried and dislikes, and a ruger sr22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Ruger mark 2’s. My wife loves to shoot them. I have 10 magazines. She shoots and I load. Amazing how many rounds you can shoot in an hour or two. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Huntsman always takes the nicest pictures of 22s. I need to take a road trip out to see him so he can take some pictures with his scenery of my Woodsman and my K frame. I can't decide which I like better. Maybe If I had a portfolio of photographs of each I could decide.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
An aspiring minimalist, I’ve been able to get down to three. A stainless 5 1/2 inch Single Six, a Smith M&P compact and a Ruger MK II with the rare 5 1/4 tapered heavy bbl. Each has their place, depending on my purpose at the time. I’ve let a few other nice ones go, including a Smith18, but these are enough for now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have just one rimfire repeating pistol, and it is a Ruger MKII 22/45 "Target" with the 5" bull barrel and a camo pattern Uncle Mike holster. It's not pretty or the most accurate pistol in the world, but it fits my hand and I enjoy it. I can load all 5 magazines and go shoot. A S&W 41 auto or 17 revolver would probably shoot better, but they cost a lot more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've gone thru a few more than I realized until I started thinking about it; but I'm really happy with the two I've got now. A revolver and a semiauto.

Always wanted a S&W 63, but couldn't afford one at the time, so I bought a Rossi 511 30 years ago, which was like a poor man's version of it. Poor trigger pull, spit lead out the cylinder gap terribly and I couldn't hit anything with it. Sold it.

Always wanted a K22 Masterpiece, because of their legendary accuracy, so I bought a 6" S&W 617. Noticed right away it was incredibly heavy for a .22. Mounted a 3-9X Burris scope and proceeded to shoot about dozen different loads through it, the best group of which was about 1 1/2" at 25 yards off a sandbag rest. Decided it was too heavy to pack around just for fun, and not nearly as accurate as I was lead to believe. (I didn't know about shooting standard velocity ammo for accuracy back then, so I only tested HV HP's.) Sold it.

Bought a camo Walther P22 because it looked kind of cool, same gun that Ruger later copied and improved to become the SR22. It had controls in weird places compared to my other semiautos, and besides the fact that the gun was inaccurate, I didn't want to develop the habit of say, tugging on the bottom of my trigger guard to release the magazine and other habits that might accidentally transfer to another gun at the wrong time. Sold it.

Bought a Ruger Mark I 5 1/2" bull barrel, which I'd always wanted. It turned out to be pretty doggone heavy too. Kind of weird grip angle, but I could live with it. Kept it for several years, but eventually sold it.

Bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite with the black finish and walnut grips, added some Volquartson trigger/sear stuff, and the Tandemkross Slingshot conversion, and did the LCI delete. Love it!!

Got convinced to give the S&W 617 another try, this time in 4", thanks to several guys on here. Trigger pull was much heavier than I remembered, as in 11.5 lbs double action, and 4 lbs 10 oz single action. Did some work, experimented with some springs, had it at a reliable 8 1/2 lbs double action and 2 3/4 lbs single action when done. But everyone I showed the gun to said the same thing, "This is a .22? Man it's heavy!"

Last year I decided I owed the Browning Buckmark a try. Bought a Camper model and did some work to it. Ended up using a Tac-Sol threaded/ fluted 5 1/2" barrel on it and liked the balance much better than the original. It was okay, but I still liked the feel of my 22/45 Lite much better. So I sold it too.

Like I said earlier, I always wanted a 4" S&W 63, which they don't make anymore, but just didn't want to pay the $$ they were asking for them- about $800 and up for used ones a couple years ago. Reluctantly I bought a new 3" version with the fiber optic sight. Changed the grips to some Altamont Altai's, did a little trigger work, and.. I absolutely love it!!

In fact, I tried the S&W 63 and 617 side by side for multiple 40 shot groups (617 holds 10 and the 63 holds 8- so 40 was the lowest common denominator for full cylinders and gave a good representative sample size.) I shot them exactly the same, so I ditched the much heavier 617.

So, I've got the S&W 63 and Ruger 22/45 Lite. Perfectly happy with them. I'd be hard pressed to pick just one, but every single person that I've let shoot a magazine full out of my 22/45, has asked if they can try it again. And again. And again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh, one more thing, I didn't think my Ruger 22/45 Lite was anything special in accuracy until one day after I bought a scope and sat down at the range for the first time to try it out. This was my first 10 shot group with a new-to-me ammo. I was impressed!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, a guy really needs both- and maybe even several examples of each eventually... smile

I was out shooting with my buddy who has several very high end rimfire pistols- Diamondbacks, Colt Woodsman Match Targets, etc... and I brought my K22 Masterpiece and my Browning Challenger III to play after out rifle shooting was over. I found with the K22 it was pretty easy to hit clay pigeons at 50 yards freehand, then the pieces they flew into. I was seriously impressed with the trigger and the inherent accuracy. After about a dozen cylinders I tried my Browning and found it was also a very accurate pistol- close to on parr with the K22 and my buddy's pistols. I've been very happy with both and often carry one or the other when out in the woods ...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by hookeye
For the $ the Ruger MK target.
5 1/2" for hip gun, 6 7/8" tapered bull if range toy.

Originally Posted by hookeye
For the $ the Ruger MK target.
5 1/2" for hip gun, 6 7/8" tapered bull if range toy.

I agree

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We like and have both autos and revolvers. I happen to shoot the wheelguns a little better than the light weight autos (SR-22s and an M&P 22C), but if I were going for "most accurate" it would probably be a heavier Ruger Mk IV or Buckmark. The lightweights carry better, but it's easier to shoot the heavier guns. Of the handguns we have (no heavy autos), I shoot my Single Six 6.5" better than my Smith 617, which surprises me every time I shoot it. It's not nearly as handy as the 4" Smith, but I shoot it better. My 4.5" SR-22 shoots almost as well as the Smith, but nowhere close to the Single Six, which is scary good. The Single Six is an older gun I picked up used a couple of years ago, I think it's a 1976 model, but it shoots marvelously well. It even shoots Magnums really well, too.

I love .22 handguns, they're just fun, and easy to shoot, besides.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
B
good shooting huntsman22!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd say that a revolver is probably better suited as a hiking gun. I've shot a lot with Ruger MK II's and III's and they shoot great, but for hiking I'd go with a nice mid size S&W or Ruger revolver, either single or double action depending on preference.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My browning buckmark is my favorite, however my s&w victory is a close second.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antero
Thinking about picking up a rimfire handgun for plinking, hiking around with, and generally just using to become a better shot with a pistol. I am fairly inexperienced with rimfire handguns and am wondering which one would be more fun and less hassle. I know it all depends on which model, so just share your personal experience. Which is more of a pain to clean? Which is more fun? What would you prefer if you could only have one?

Although not my favorite, the S&W 22A isn't a bad pistol and they can still be found for under $400.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
New to pistols ,recently considered a S&W but couldn't stomach the $800 pricetag on the one I was looking at ,just for range plinking etc. Upon a recommendation I got ahold of a GSG ( German Sport Gun) Firefly . Price was good ,magazines were ok on price & easy to load up. So far it's worked fine with every .22 LR cartridge I've shot through it . Fun to shoot ,pretty dam accurate too.

I seriously do not know why so many gun guys say nay about a .22 for self defense . Because of less recoil and better control for the beginner ,I can shoot short burst way more effectively with it than a .38 or 9mm I keep practicing though

Edited in - easy to break down n clean too

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have both. I've grown quite fond of my Glock 44. really nice to pack at 16 ounces loaded. I shoot it well and after testing it in a Ransom Rest, found it is capable of far more accuracy than I am. I carried for years, as a trapline gun and Old Model Single Six, 5.5 inch and still have it today. Wonderfully accurate and responsible for dispatching hundreds of trapped coyotes and coon. Along the way a lot of grouse and rabbits found their way into a pot via that old Ruger.

I've added a Ruger Bisley Single Six and an S&W four inch 22/32 kit gun to the group. I haven't shot the Bisley much as its a one of a hundred and I think I'll sell it rather than just look at it. I've shot it less than 50 rounds. The kit gun was a nostalgia buy and is a fun little gun.

I find myself grabbing that Glock more than anything lately. Even used it to finish off my caribou this year. Spine shot and still alive when I got to it. A CCI SGB made short work of it. Whacked a bunch of feral rabbits last fall with it. A friend's neighbor left the state and turned loose about 40 domestic rabbits. They became 100 pretty quickly. I had some fun with the Glock and the kit gun as well as my 32 caliber muzzleloader. A young lynx took care of the rest of them over the winter.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Ruger Single Six and three Browning Buckmarks. So I guess that kinda shows what I prefer. The autos are faster to load so you can shoot more, but the Single Six is a really cool little gun. I’m glad I have it, even if it doesn’t get shot as much as the Brownings.

Teaching kids to shoot is less stressful with the revolver. The point of aim changes fast and easy with a pistol, and the fact that a single action has to be cocked again after each shot has an extra safety margin.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We shoot both here. Huntsman22 probably gives the best advise earlier in this thread:
Originally Posted by huntsman22
just grab a 4" semiauto, threaded. Then getcha a good suppressor. The most fun.......

A suppressor isn’t necessary but sure fun!

I’m especially happy with a Smith and Wesson Victory 22. It keeps up with the 41 in accuracy and is way less finicky. Trigger and other mods helped make it so with reasonable cost. Really like Ruger Mark’s too. A Mark II was my favorite until the Victory came along.

Ruger’s Single Six pistols are fun and accurate. They will help preserve ammo given the extra time they take to load and eject spent cartridges. Great trainer.

Favorite revolver right now is a Ruger SP101. Slicked up the action awhile back which made the trigger more than acceptable and accuracy really good. Eight round cylinder, not overly heavy. The Ruger GP100 is also fun but really heavy. Good for training i guess if one has GP’s in larger calibers.

Knock around too with a S&W pre model 17, 18 and a G44. All fine 22 pistols. Someday I hope to play around with others mentioned.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
485 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.