Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Testing some of that old Lube 103 patch lube. I let the bag sit in the sun for an hour to melt the lube since its almost as old as me. Now the .015" patches are a little on the thin side for my bore. I normally run .020" patches. The first clean patch I recovered had just the slightest hole on the edge, which is normal for this barrel due to the thin patch. Once the barrel fouled up, no more holes.

Accuracy was ok. I personally wouldn't compete with it nor would I hunt with it, but today was just a day to relax and test out a lube that once was popular before the company went under. Reloading after 8 shots was great. Not one hiccup until I hit #9 and found the bore to have a very sticky spot that required me to put a little muscle into the short starter and loading rod.
Their claim of 3000+ shots without swabbing must have come from shooting balls that were .020" undersized because there's no way in heck that's going to happen with your hunting or target practice load.
Overall, It was a fun shoot and after reading about the lube in so many magazines and books over the years, it was even better to experience it.
This lube smelled just like Hodgdons old Spit Patch lube, including the waxy feel. Paraffin or beeswax? Who knows.
10 shots total at 50 yards shooting my Traditions St.Louis Hawken .54cal
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Note the clean triangle shape on the patch. One other patch had this as well. I am guessing that its where the patch folded up during loading?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like the patch folded. I’d bet .018 or .020 patches would work a bit better.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
P.S. burning black powder is always fun!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Back in the 80’s when it originally came out we were told by the sales reps that the majority of the mixture was cocoa butter.

That’s what we were led to believe anyway. I dunno?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

371 members (160user, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.