Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What brand pillars are recommended for the Remington 700?
I’ve got a laminated stock I’d like to install them on.
I’ve seen the Score-Hi and the Holland. What else is available?

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Score-HI makes one of the best pillar kits available.If you use their boring jig it is about idiot proof.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I note that a lot of the pillars are made from aluminum.
They must work, but what about/why isn't there galvanic action between the two dissimilar metals?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Galvanic action is the reason for anode beds. Got a steel fence? Bury old mag wheels every now and then. Connect them with wire and the corporation goes to the aluminum, not the iron, or steel. Problem with pillars? Never.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Aluminum pillars are what you want to use. I make my own that are custom made for each application as there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to pillars.

The Score High adjustable ones actually work pretty well...they give the DIY'er some adjustability for length. When the threaded inner adjuster is epoxied in place, they don't move.

I don't advise any direct contact between the pillars and the action. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve made mine with stainless tubing….

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used aluminum pillars, but I have "poured" pillars using Marine Tex. Same material as the bedding so same thermal expansion and contraction rate

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've had good luck using 3/8" threaded lamp rods. Available most everywhere & inexpensive.

Attached Images
Treaded Lamp Rod.png (85.62 KB, 497 downloads)
Threaded Lamp Rod
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now that’s being creative….

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I have some SS tubing I plan to use, but have always wondered about the alumimum.
Lube and very dry conditions may well be parts of the solution.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pillar bedding came along with the composite stocks because unlike wood the composite stocks would crush/compress....a laminated wood or a wood stock wont compress it doesn't need pillar bedding glass bedding is all it needs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Pillar bedding came along with the composite stocks because unlike wood the composite stocks would crush/compress....a laminated wood or a wood stock wont compress it doesn't need pillar bedding glass bedding is all it needs.

This is incorrect.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Aluminum pillars are what you want to use. I make my own that are custom made for each application as there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to pillars.

The Score High adjustable ones actually work pretty well...they give the DIY'er some adjustability for length. When the threaded inner adjuster is epoxied in place, they don't move.

I don't advise any direct contact between the pillars and the action. -Al

That mirrors my experience with Score-High. I like them, and I like their kit. If I were bedding another 700 tomorrow, I would order this kit again.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wood stocks are one of the reasons for pillars. A second is that the early fiberglass stocks ( McMillan and others ) were notorious for crushing. The laminated stocks are the most crush resistant, not crush proof. Pillars are a good thing, action blocks are even better.

Last edited by John_Boy; 10/12/21.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No one was pillar bedding before composite stocks came along....I'm not incorrect

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you have all the answers John Boy then why ask a question ?

Let me quess...to spread your vast knowledge.

The only purpose a pillar block serves is to keep the stock material from compressing......action blocks were designed for composite stocks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty testy for a newbie……
You can’t even interpret a question correctly.
I was asking WHICH pillars the good folks here thought best.
I wasn’t asking for historical data. Especially mistaken historical data.
Too much time spent in magazines……

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
No one was pillar bedding before composite stocks came along....I'm not incorrect

Pillar bedding was being done as early as the '50's on wooden stocks of the day.

When Lee Six and Chet Brown introduced the fiberglass stocks in the late 1960's, pillar bedding became mandatory for them, given the stock making technology of the day.

Laminated wood stocks do move. Properly done pillars are mandatory for best accuracy and to reduce POI changes.

Aluminum pillars remain the gold standard for pillar material. Anything else is a compromise.

Originally Posted by LFC
......action blocks were designed for composite stocks.

Action bedding blocks were first designed to be used on early wooden stocks. The epoxies of the day didn't hold up as a bedding compound, even with pillars. The bedding blocks were inletted into wood stocks in an attempt to provide a more stable area for the action to mate to, without using a bedding compound.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd like to see verifiable proof of pillar bedding being done "as early as the 50's"....and also action bedding blocks being designed for wooden stocks.

Until then I'll stick with pillars were first used for composite stocks and the use of a bedding block being designed by Remington for the composite stocks on their Sendora rifles.

Show me proof I'm all about learning.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let’s see….
If a person wanted to describe pillars as ferrules then Mauser was the first to use “pillars”. Or, so no one misconstrues what I’m saying… single pillar / stock ferrule at the rear tang. No need, or room for a front “pillar”….I’ll let you guess the year.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.