Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by Termin8r
Whatever on I can find two boxes of before July....

I would like Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer or Monalithic or Barnes Solids.

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

Not on your list, but these are available at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010852860?pid=547354

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl

Originally Posted by Termin8r
Whatever on I can find two boxes of before July....

I would like Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer or Monalithic or Barnes Solids.

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

Not on your list, but these are available at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010852860?pid=547354

Thank you!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's your hunt. Your PHs favorite ammo will be whatever is on your belt because he's hoping that you will give them to you on your way out. Besides; PH's can't agree on what's best between themselves. Why would you think that you stumbled on the one that was right?

Solids suck, unless you're hunting elephant.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 02/01/22.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pretty interesting data point - for the first time, without my even mentioning it, the owner/PH noted to not bother bringing solids for my next Buff hunt. Didn't matter whether I'm bringing the 9.3 or the .375.

His preference is for quality bonded bullets. He didn't mention mono's.

I wonder if age plays a role in it. He's the youngest PH that I'll be hunting with - early 40-ish.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My experience (and from the experience of others that have said the same thing to me), with the advent of good tough expanding bullets that can't break up, the use of expanding bullets trumps the use of solids on buffalo, hippo and even elephant.

With a Barnes TSX, or a Swift A-Frame I'd expect at least as good (or probably better) results on buffalo then with any solid you can buy today. Some good mono-solids might be nice to have along in case you need to run a few through from the south end of a north bound buff after the 1d st shot, but overall I'd prefer the expanding bullets I just named.
Unless you strike the spinal column or brain buff seem never to drop at the first shot, so some solids in the mag may be good, but that is not as "written on tablets of stone" as it was in the 70s and previously. The new expanding solids like the Barnes and the double bonded Swift A-Frame the 1st shot is likely to do the job, and you'll find the buff down after it's first run.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Since it's Tuesday, today I'm thinking of using the 9.3 and A-Frames in either 286 gr. or 300 gr.

No guarantees what Wednesday holds, since both cartridges are too much dang fun... smile

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Hornady 300 grain DGS solids have shot pretty well for me. They shoot within an inch of the point of impact of 300 grain TSX at 100 yards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
It's your hunt. Your PHs favorite ammo will be whatever is on your belt because he's hoping that you will give them to you on your way out. Besides; PH's can't agree on what's best between themselves. Why would you think that you stumbled on the one that was right?

Solids suck, unless you're hunting elephant.

This.

But even some PHs I've hunted with have said elephants in at some areas can be easily handled with today's expanding bullets. I hunted in Tanzania's Selous in 2011, where elephants are somewhat smaller than in other parts of Africa, because the Selous is pretty hot during safari season. This follows the general biological Bergmann's Rule, which states that rhe same animals in cooler climates tend to be larger, and in warmer climates smaller.

I didn't hunt elephant, but did find those in the Selous smaller than I'd encountered in warmer parts of Africa. Which is why my very experienced PH Paddy Curtis says that any of today's better expanding bullets (including Nosler Partitions) are plenty for Selous bulls, whether for head or heart shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small elephants are BIG.

Small elephants are aggressive. Cows and Forrest smile

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A buddy booked a buff hunt for Moz in 2024 when we were at DSC. He is going to borrow my .375. How are the Hornady DGS for solids? They are in stock. Swift A-frames for the expanding bullets

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I wouldn't use TSX on dangerous game at all. I had used them exclusively on everything since 2005 until a lion hunt in Zim in 2018. Little to no expansion on the 300 gr TSX in my 3-7-5 H&H, kinda looked more like solids.

The recovered 3-7-5 bullets (eland & buff) looked so bad my PH wanted me to use my .300 Win 180 gr TSX on the lion instead of my 3-7-5 as we knew those (recovered) 180 gr TSX expanded. He didn't trust the 3-7-5 TSX to open up on a lion.

He made a comment that perhaps Barnes had changed up the alloy as they were great when they first came out, but the more recent ones (around the time) disappointed.

Gone to A Frames for DG in my 3-7-5 H&H and .500 NE. That said, I also had Cutting Edge solids with me and used them on a giraffe but did not use them on buff.

FWIW A Frames and the CEBs shot into the same hole at 100y.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 01/09/23.
J
J
I have one extra box of 375 H&H Sledgehammer rounds I could spare. If you are interested, please contact me.
Jim

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As a few others here have said, I’d just use your 270TSX’s and not worry about a thing. The first shot is the one that counts. Put it in the right place and your buff will die quickly. Good luck on your hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some 375 cal. solids that I’d be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

Rolly
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
I have some 375 cal. solids that I’d be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

rolly
what do you have? how many and how much?.....if you would rather ..pm me......you also jim...bob

Last edited by Bob_mt; 02/23/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are hunting buffalo, you don't need solids..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If you are hunting buffalo, you don't need solids..

Jorge....thats true...I use A-Frames.....I will be needing solids for an upcoming elephant hunt....if that was directed to me......bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, we are snowbirds and won’t be home for a few weeks but I offered them for sale some months ago and that list should be still listed in the classifieds. I was just asking for what I had in them plus shipping. See if you can find my ad. My memory is gone. CRS disease. Should be posted over my name. Rolly

Rolly
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
Bob, we are snowbirds and won’t be home for a few weeks but I offered them for sale some months ago and that list should be still listed in the classifieds. I was just asking for what I had in them plus shipping. See if you can find my ad. My memory is gone. CRS disease. Should be posted over my name. Rolly

ok...I wont be home till around the 15th march....bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
rolly....are we talking loaded factory ammo?.....bob

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.