Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread below about Buffalo bullets. I’m contemplating a Cape Buffalo hunt and want to be prepared. I’ll be shooting my Whitworth 375 H&H. Left to my own choices, I would exclusively shoot 270 grain Barnes TSXs. These have taken Kudu, Nyala, and Black Wildebeest in Africa, and a Caribou in ANWR (rifle carried because of grizzlies). And in the thread on Buffalo bullets, there are very good arguments in favor of the 270 TSX.

But there is a real possibility that the PH will want me to step up to 300 grain bullets and may want solids for follow up. I’ve got a good supply of 300 grain TSXs but only 20 Swift A-Frames. In the past I’ve worked up loads for these that shoot well. I have no solid bullets, and it is clear that many are difficult or impossible to find.

I’d appreciate recommendations for solids so I can start looking to see what is available. The hunt is not imminent, but who knows when or if supplies will return to normal? And I don’t want to be doing load development at the last minute if the PH insists on solids.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Al: I was able to get the 300 grain Woodleigh Hyrdo-stabilized solid to print 1/2” higher than my 300 grain TSX load and 1” lower than my 270 grain LRX load at 100 yards

I used the 270 grain LRX and the 300 grain WHS this September on Buffalo in Namibia with Kowas Safaris there is a picture of a recovered LRX in one of the 4 posts about the trip.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I shoot 300 grn Nosler Partitions for my softs and 299 grn RWS solids. They both hit with in an inch of each other at 100yds out of my .375. I've used them on 3 Cape Buffalo. I liked the combination.

Hang on tight !
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Woodleigh Solids

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Cutting Edge and Northfork solids are both bore riders, which does a lot to simplify loading and keep pressures down. I think you can backorder Cutting Edge and get them "somewhat" soon.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just an FYI, if/when you get some solids make some "dummy" rounds to make sure they feed into the chamber with no problems. Some of the solids are not round-nosed like the old Hornady or the current Woodleigh. They have a truncated nose like the Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer and they may need a bit of gunsmithing for them to work flawlessly. Best time to figure that out is long before (if) you go to Africa.

This is what I am talking about with the different nose designs....
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019827374?pid=493714

Woodleigh RN
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010852176?pid=523083

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.416, not .375, but a lot of DG bullet info. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15839685/6

Swift makes a Breakaway solid, designed for the tip to blow off, leaving an open nose like the Hydro-stabilized, which sometimes don't feed so slick.

These feed slick and after contact, have the big open profile, sorta best of both worlds. The Breakaway cost around $7 a pop (when you can find them). And they aren't quite as accurate as 400 gr. NPT and SAF softs, but are still sub "minute of a buff". By the time you're down to solids, MOA isn't your primary concern.

Picture of 400 gr. .416 SAF, NPT and Swift Breakaway Solid.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m leaving in a few days for a western Tanzania hunt with Alan Vincent on his Mlele concession, which includes 3 buffalo bulls on license. I’m shooting a .416 Hoffman, so not .375 but the principle is the same.

For solids, I’m using 400 grain Cutting Edge. I’ve found then to group within an inch of my other Bullets. I also got Trophy Bonded sledgehammer solids (which I’ve shot before with good results) and Swift Breakaway solids to try. In load testing, the Cutting Edge solids shot well enough that I didn’t shoot either of the other two, but will get around to trying them after I return home. My old .416 load was 2,510 FPS and new load is 2,350. It groups better and is noticeably easier on my surgically repaired shoulder.

On this trip, I’ll be using 3 different Bullets, with the others being Cutting Edge Raptors and Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. I’ve shot buffalo with Bearclaws before and they are great. Haven’t yet tried the Raptors but hear great things about them and my PH is also keen to see how they perform, so we will shoot at least one buffalo with them. Alan wants me to have a Bearclaw for the first shot, to avoid a pass through. Fortunately, both Bullets shoot under an inch in my rifle and group together, so it’ll work easily.

For those of you who get on AR, this is the same hunt as Saeed is posting about right now, though mine will be 16 days, while he’s hunting 21 days. They’ve shot a pile of buffalo so far, over a dozen among the group, in first two weeks. Lots of very old bulls, he tells me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds great.

Reports and pictures, of course.

Breakaway accuracy was ok, just not as good as the NPT which was slightly better than the SAF. I was using Bill Hober data. It took 77 gr 4064 for the solids to have same POI as the softs at 75 gr. I called Swift and he answered the phone, which was impressive. The interest and time he spent with me, even more impressive. Google Swift and Bill Hober to understand what I’m saying.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Al
I would use the 270 TSX. Tell your PH whatever he wants to hear. PH’s are not rifle nuts, usually, and are creatures of habit. If he wants a Swift say “that’s right” and do what you want. If he wants 350’s or 300’s just agree.
On buffalo I would never load backup solids. That idea is a holdover from the old days when expanding bullets routinely failed.

I promise you that you will have thought about it more than he has.

The most important thing is to be patient and place the first shot perfectly. Don’t rush into a poor shot.

Solids are for elephants and hippos.

Last edited by RinB; 10/10/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I used the 300 Swift A-Frame and 300 gr A- Square Monolithic solids in my Whitworth. I dunno if A- Squares Are still available...Your choice of a 270 TSX is a good all arounder in my opinion.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 270 TSX in the .375 H&H has a well deserved following.

I’ve noticed that some ares in Africa, PH’s like that bullet. Other areas seem more in the old school mold of softs followed by solids.

And it’s been said, PH’s are generally great hunters, not all of them are gun people. Old habits die hard.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe, A-Square solids are no longer available.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ingwe, A-Square solids are no longer available.

Figured as much....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Gents, Many thanks for all of these responses! You’ve given good information and a lot for me to think about.

Feeding is an important concern because the Whitworths were built on a standard length commercial FN action rather than a magnum action. I don’t know, but that might make this rifle more susceptible to feeding issues if the bullets are at all problematic. An older version of a solid that feeds smoothly will do a lot more good than the latest technology that won’t.

My rifle is very accurate with 270 and 300 grain TSXs and 300 grain Swift A-Frames.

I’m sure African PHs have differing opinions like most of us. I’ve read Kevin Robertson’s book, “Africa’s Most Dangerous,” and he is adamant about solids in the magazine. But that book was copyrighted in 2007, and there’s been a lot of development and experience since then.

I still prefer using the 270 grain TSX. In 2015 I shot a Kudu with my load at what the PH said was 218 meters, so almost 240 yards. The bull was severely quartering. The bullet went in behind the left ribs, tore up the right lung, broke the right shoulder, and was found right under the skin. It was a perfect mushroom and weighted 269.5 grains when I got it home.

I’ve looked around and find the Woodleigh Hydroshocks, Cutting Edge solids, and Swift Breakaways are available in different places. I’m tempted to order the cutting edge bullets to have something on my shelf that would likely feed well. But the technology of the others is very tempting too. But I hate to spend a fortune on bullets I hope to avoid using. We’re all different personalities. If my PH insists on solids, I’ll humor him.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
How about Norma 350g Woodleigh and Norma 300g Oryx for everything else and buffalo in a pinch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to recommend the Barnes Banded Solids, but a little research shows they were banned by the ATF. I need to see if I still have any- things are probably worth a small fortune now.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RinB

Al
I would use the 270 TSX. Tell your PH whatever he wants to hear. PH’s are not rifle nuts, usually, and are creatures of habit. If he wants a Swift say “that’s right” and do what you want. If he wants 350’s or 300’s just agree.
On buffalo I would never load backup solids. That idea is a holdover from the old days when expanding bullets routinely failed.

The most important thing is to be patient and place the first shot perfectly. Don’t rush into a poor shot.

+1000..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Al

+1000..

Nothing much left to add to that.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hornady DGS in 300 gr. Solids are available at Powder Valley. The matching Bonded Core are out of stock at the moment.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone overthinks this, every time.

300gr Nosler Partitions hammer buffalo.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
But, hunters generally don't buck their PH's recommendations, even though they may know better.

Some here have said, it's your hunt, you dictate. That's easier said than done, especially with a first time hunter.

As has been rehashed numerous times here, PH's are not always gun guys, often know less technical info about ordinance than their client.

I've not been over there, no plans to go. But, good friends have been. And, I've loaded PG and DG ammo..

DF

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
But, hunters generally don't buck their PH's recommendations, even though they may know better.

Some here have said, it's your hunt, you dictate. That's easier said than done, especially with a first time hunter.

As has been rehashed numerous times here, PH's are not always gun guys, often know less technical info about ordinance than their client.

I've not been over there, no plans to go. But, good friends have been. And, I've loaded PG and DG ammo..

DF

As I said earlier, we all have different personalities. I would not want to start off a several day hunt with a knock down argument with my PH. As long as I think what he wants me to do will work, I’ll humor him. If he wants something different than what I would choose, I’m most likely to think that it is overkill. It’s no big deal to me to load 300 grain instead of 270 grain bullets. I worked up accurate loads for 300 grain TSXs and A-Frames several years ago. The issue with solids in the magazine is trickier because I think an expanding solid will do the job. But I ought to be able to load a solid to minute of Buffalo. I know things can happen, but I believe I have the discipline to not take a first shot unless it looks right. I’ve never hunted Buffalo, but I have hunted lots of things on four continents.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

With the 300 TSX you might shoot thru one and wound another. Then the rodeo begins plus a few thousand dollars.
I have only killed 8 with a single 270 TSX each.

Last edited by RinB; 10/11/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

With the 300 TSX you might shoot thru one and wound another. Then the rodeo begins plus a few thousand dollars.

I hear ya!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yeah, if one goes on a hunt with a non compromising attitude about bullets, etc. and something goes a bit wrong, I'd think that wouldn't be a good scenario for the client to have much of an argument. I wouldn't want to be in that position.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yeah, if one goes on a hunt with a non compromising attitude about bullets, etc. and something goes a bit wrong, I'd think that wouldn't be a good scenario for the client to have much of an argument. I wouldn't want to be in that position.

DF

There would be no argument.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly. You are hiring the PH, and while it's good to get along, they're your employee.

As some have stated (and I have found while hunting with a couple dozen PHs), they're not always very knowledgeable about bullet performance.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It’s my hunt, I’m paying the bill. I’ll use what bullets I want to use, end of story. Solids are not needed at all for Buffalo these days, plenty of better choices for a client hunter. Save them for elephant or hippo. I’ve never had a PH tell me what bullets or calibers I should use.

Last edited by John55; 10/12/21.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by John55
It’s my hunt, I’m paying the bill. I’ll use what bullets I want to use, end of story. Solids are not needed at all for Buffalo these days, plenty of better choices for a client hunter. Save them for elephant or hippo. I’ve never had a PH tell me what bullets or calibers I should use.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Exactly. You are hiring the PH, and while it's good to get along, they're your employee.

As some have stated (and I have found while hunting with a couple dozen PHs), they're not always very knowledgeable about bullet performance.

These 2 post sum up my sentiments perfectly

Last edited by jwp475; 10/13/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ph asks what bullet are you using. You say 300 gr SAF. He smiles, chit dies, he’s seen this movie before. It’s pretty simple . MAGA

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As long as you are using TSX or A-Frames, or maybe Northfork Softs, you don't need solids. Every year, more PHs figure this out.

I've whacked more than a few buff with 270 and 300 grain A-Frames. I wouldn't want to live off any difference.

Pick whichever you can get and shoot best in your rifle. Shoot up a bunch of Hornadys in practice.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I went to a lot of trouble and expense (his dime), getting my good bud set up for an upcoming DG hunt. Getting solids (Swift Breakaway) set up with POI to match NPT's and SAF's took some doing. His South Africa PH insisted on softs and solids, so that's what we did. .416 Rem. not .375, but the concept is the same.

Another good bud killed a nice Buff in Zim, using a .416 Rigby and a 400 TSX. One bullet, one buff. Seems in Zim, the PH consensus appears to be more along the lines of the TSX, not necessarily softs and solids. In South Africa, seems they're more into softs and solids.

Could this be a regional thing? I've seen reports of other Zim PH's recommending TSX's. Ya reckon area PH's compare notes and go with the consensus? Are some areas more "progressive" than others. I hate to use that word, but it is what it is. Any comments or observations?

DF

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Good question.

I’m getting a lot of advice beyond recommendations for solid bullets. I am “listening” to all of that. Perhaps the PH is like my employee and should just do what I want. When I supervised people I almost never issued “orders.” I had a successful career, rising to a senior executive position in a very large organization, and have had a long and happy life using listening, negotiation, and compromise rather than issuing ultimatums.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I hunted Zim the TSXs weren’t on the market. Later safaris in Tanzania the PHs loved TSXs and were using them in their rifles for everything but elephant. I can tell you a 450gr TSX shot from a 450 Dakota is sudden death on buffalo. Unless it’s a herd situation where a TSX would pass thru the target animal and wound another behind it, I’d use the TSX every time. For the herd shot a Swift or NF soft would be my choice. A few years back a good friend hunted Zim for buffalo and plains game. He used a 375 with NPTs and his 450 Dakota loaded with TSXs. When he got the chance on buffalo it was in a small group so he shot with the 375. Made a good hit but as usual the bull took off with the others. A quick run and they caught up to it lagging behind so the 450 was put into action. One shot and the buffalo hit the dirt. PH was impressed!

Last edited by John55; 10/13/21.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Whatever on I can find two boxes of before July....

I would like Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer or Monalithic or Barnes Solids.

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Termin8r

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

I have plenty of 300gr Barnes Banded Solids. PM me if you want

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I have plenty of 300gr Barnes Banded Solids. PM me if you want

I had to rely on Fire contributors when I was putting together loads for my bud. Some of these components were not to be found. One box of bullets was the last one Graf and sons had. Good luck. And, you may want to get some help from your friends.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is a copper clad steel jacketed 300 grain bullet that would be my choice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010829094?pid=595477

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
here is a copper clad steel jacketed 300 grain bullet that would be my choice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010829094?pid=595477

Good to know. Thank you

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

Not on your list, but these are available at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010852860?pid=547354

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl

Not on your list, but these are available at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010852860?pid=547354

Thank you!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's your hunt. Your PHs favorite ammo will be whatever is on your belt because he's hoping that you will give them to you on your way out. Besides; PH's can't agree on what's best between themselves. Why would you think that you stumbled on the one that was right?

Solids suck, unless you're hunting elephant.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 02/01/22.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pretty interesting data point - for the first time, without my even mentioning it, the owner/PH noted to not bother bringing solids for my next Buff hunt. Didn't matter whether I'm bringing the 9.3 or the .375.

His preference is for quality bonded bullets. He didn't mention mono's.

I wonder if age plays a role in it. He's the youngest PH that I'll be hunting with - early 40-ish.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My experience (and from the experience of others that have said the same thing to me), with the advent of good tough expanding bullets that can't break up, the use of expanding bullets trumps the use of solids on buffalo, hippo and even elephant.

With a Barnes TSX, or a Swift A-Frame I'd expect at least as good (or probably better) results on buffalo then with any solid you can buy today. Some good mono-solids might be nice to have along in case you need to run a few through from the south end of a north bound buff after the 1d st shot, but overall I'd prefer the expanding bullets I just named.
Unless you strike the spinal column or brain buff seem never to drop at the first shot, so some solids in the mag may be good, but that is not as "written on tablets of stone" as it was in the 70s and previously. The new expanding solids like the Barnes and the double bonded Swift A-Frame the 1st shot is likely to do the job, and you'll find the buff down after it's first run.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Since it's Tuesday, today I'm thinking of using the 9.3 and A-Frames in either 286 gr. or 300 gr.

No guarantees what Wednesday holds, since both cartridges are too much dang fun... smile

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Hornady 300 grain DGS solids have shot pretty well for me. They shoot within an inch of the point of impact of 300 grain TSX at 100 yards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
It's your hunt. Your PHs favorite ammo will be whatever is on your belt because he's hoping that you will give them to you on your way out. Besides; PH's can't agree on what's best between themselves. Why would you think that you stumbled on the one that was right?

This.

But even some PHs I've hunted with have said elephants in at some areas can be easily handled with today's expanding bullets. I hunted in Tanzania's Selous in 2011, where elephants are somewhat smaller than in other parts of Africa, because the Selous is pretty hot during safari season. This follows the general biological Bergmann's Rule, which states that rhe same animals in cooler climates tend to be larger, and in warmer climates smaller.

I didn't hunt elephant, but did find those in the Selous smaller than I'd encountered in warmer parts of Africa. Which is why my very experienced PH Paddy Curtis says that any of today's better expanding bullets (including Nosler Partitions) are plenty for Selous bulls, whether for head or heart shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small elephants are BIG.

Small elephants are aggressive. Cows and Forrest smile

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A buddy booked a buff hunt for Moz in 2024 when we were at DSC. He is going to borrow my .375. How are the Hornady DGS for solids? They are in stock. Swift A-frames for the expanding bullets

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I wouldn't use TSX on dangerous game at all. I had used them exclusively on everything since 2005 until a lion hunt in Zim in 2018. Little to no expansion on the 300 gr TSX in my 3-7-5 H&H, kinda looked more like solids.

The recovered 3-7-5 bullets (eland & buff) looked so bad my PH wanted me to use my .300 Win 180 gr TSX on the lion instead of my 3-7-5 as we knew those (recovered) 180 gr TSX expanded. He didn't trust the 3-7-5 TSX to open up on a lion.

He made a comment that perhaps Barnes had changed up the alloy as they were great when they first came out, but the more recent ones (around the time) disappointed.

Gone to A Frames for DG in my 3-7-5 H&H and .500 NE. That said, I also had Cutting Edge solids with me and used them on a giraffe but did not use them on buff.

FWIW A Frames and the CEBs shot into the same hole at 100y.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 01/09/23.
J
J
I have one extra box of 375 H&H Sledgehammer rounds I could spare. If you are interested, please contact me.
Jim

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As a few others here have said, I’d just use your 270TSX’s and not worry about a thing. The first shot is the one that counts. Put it in the right place and your buff will die quickly. Good luck on your hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some 375 cal. solids that I’d be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

Rolly
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
I have some 375 cal. solids that I’d be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

rolly
what do you have? how many and how much?.....if you would rather ..pm me......you also jim...bob

Last edited by Bob_mt; 02/23/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are hunting buffalo, you don't need solids..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are hunting buffalo, you don't need solids..

Jorge....thats true...I use A-Frames.....I will be needing solids for an upcoming elephant hunt....if that was directed to me......bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, we are snowbirds and won’t be home for a few weeks but I offered them for sale some months ago and that list should be still listed in the classifieds. I was just asking for what I had in them plus shipping. See if you can find my ad. My memory is gone. CRS disease. Should be posted over my name. Rolly

Rolly
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
Bob, we are snowbirds and won’t be home for a few weeks but I offered them for sale some months ago and that list should be still listed in the classifieds. I was just asking for what I had in them plus shipping. See if you can find my ad. My memory is gone. CRS disease. Should be posted over my name. Rolly

ok...I wont be home till around the 15th march....bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
rolly....are we talking loaded factory ammo?.....bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

This.

But even some PHs I've hunted with have said elephants in at some areas can be easily handled with today's expanding bullets. I hunted in Tanzania's Selous in 2011, where elephants are somewhat smaller than in other parts of Africa, because the Selous is pretty hot during safari season. This follows the general biological Bergmann's Rule, which states that rhe same animals in cooler climates tend to be larger, and in warmer climates smaller.

I didn't hunt elephant, but did find those in the Selous smaller than I'd encountered in warmer parts of Africa. Which is why my very experienced PH Paddy Curtis says that any of today's better expanding bullets (including Nosler Partitions) are plenty for Selous bulls, whether for head or heart shots.

Elgin Gates killed a huge elephant 🐘 with a 300 Weatherby shooting Noseler Partitions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use Swift A Frames and the old Hornady copper clad steel solids in both my .375 H&H and .416 Rigby (300 grain in .375 and 400 grain in .416) The loads I worked up are well within 1" in each caliber. Very effective on Buffalo in Zimbabwe. I'm fortunate in that I have supply enough to reload for my lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only killed one Buffalo (the one in my avatar) that I shot in Zimbabwe in 2004. One 300 gr TSX bullet from my .375 RUM worked perfectly on the Buffalo and a few other PG animals.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Nosler solids for sale .

Last edited by Rolly; 02/25/23.

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great story JWP. I had read it before but had to re-read it again. Thanks for posting.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.