Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by kwg020
Ruger Predator. I really want one but I don't really need it. I still want it.

kwg

I assume you mean the Hawkeye Predator.

Not necessarily, I swore that I would never own another Ruger rifle, but one of my buddies stuck me with a new Ruger American Predator in 204 Ruger. It has some awesome features for a budget rifle.......the stock is Tupperware like so many others these days but has a very good bedding system (night and day better than on my recent Tikka purchase). It has the Glock style trigger that I HATE, but I was able to get it to 30oz.......better than my new Tikka again. and I absolutely love the AI 10 round magazine, again much better than the Tikka magazine. for the icing on the cake it shoots better also.........never say never !!!!!!!!!!!

BA-

Unlike the Savage Accu- trigger ,that "Glock" trigger on the Ruger can be made normal feeling by simply removing the safety blade. The slot in the trigger feels like a grooved trigger face and with a lighter return spring change the Ruger triggers can be made to break like a glass rod at about 2.5 pounds.

Another advantage of the Ruger over the Tikka is that the Ruger is made by American workers and serviced by Ruger- not the crooked sh*tbirds at Beretta.

Last edited by jk16; 10/12/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would expect a $1000 Weatherby Vanguard to be pretty much flawless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor

What model did you buy that was under a grand ????????????

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/035496226/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I paid $839 + $84 tax = $923 for a Kimber 84L 280AI on 04/24/18

I usually build rifles on used Rem 700, Win M70 or Mauser 98 actions.

The Kimber is a better rifle than what can I build for twice the money in parts with my labor being free.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It seems based on the results that the poll splits along the same line that divides most of the other threads on this forum: the Tikka vote likes out of the box MOA accuracy but doesn't care as much about plastic vs. wood/metal and the M70 vote cares about accuracy but might sacrifice a smidge of out of the box ease for all metal components, walnut, etc.

Honestly, the couple votes for the X-bolt is the first time I've seen anyone mention Browning here in quite a while.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
And just to show how biased I am, here's the best rifle you're gonna get for $900!

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/535200227/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Honestly, the couple votes for the X-bolt is the first time I've seen anyone mention Browning here in quite a while.

A few guys by my cabin have them. I'm considering a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 after shooting a few of their offerings.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Northman
A Tikka Lite SS costs $1800 in Scandinavia..

They are practically giving them away in the US...

Yes, you don't even want to know what they go for used. My vote is for Tikka. Next vote would be for Savage, then Ruger American.. In that order.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
After shooting my brother's new Tikka I would have to say that is the one... and at 5.5 lbs without scope, I really appreciated it ... may have to look at one in a couple years...

5.5 lbs ???

Lightest one I can find is 5.94 lbs ?

His is the T3X Superlight in a 30-06 and stainless. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he said it weighed in around 5.5 lbs without scope, rings, etc.... about 6.5 -7 lbs with his Vortex scope on it... and he said he paid just over $700 for it about a year ago....

Bob

Thanks Bob.

It's hard to know what a Tikka weighs, unless you actually weigh it. Be suspicious of any weight they list.

The lightest rifle in their latest catalog is 2.7kg, or 5.94 lbs.

But if you look at the Superlite in 30-06 they say it weighs 6.1 lbs. Below is a link to a page with the 30-06 Superlite specs. Hit Show More to find the 30-06.

Tikka Superlite specs.

You are probably right, and I'm sure he got his info off some literature or hearsay as neither one of us has a scale to weigh our rifles with- probably a good thing... wink In any case, a very impressive rifle for the money and a lot easier to carry than his 12 lb Winchester Classic 300 Mag... at least I think that is what it weighed... smile

Bob

Whether it is 5.9 or 5.5, still a damn good rifle and choice IMHO. . Very hard to go wrong with a Tikka. I was shooting some of mine today, along with my A7, but that one is a $1,200.00 rifle and not worth consideration. Too bad they discontinued another rifle I was shooting today. A Steven's 200. That one meets all the criteria and outshoots most of the suggestions here. Just sayin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was really surprised by the T/C Compass but since T/C is kinda up in the air I guess it doesn’t qualify. Cheap stock and Mag but handles well and the one I had in 6.5 Creedmoor shot under 1/2” with factory loads consistently, not just a one time cherry picked group

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pacecars
I was really surprised by the T/C Compass but since T/C is kinda up in the air I guess it doesn’t qualify. Cheap stock and Mag but handles well and the one I had in 6.5 Creedmoor shot under 1/2” with factory loads consistently, not just a one time cherry picked group

Cherry picked targets are the best though. You can cut them out and put them in your wallet and show all your friends....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by jwp475

1885 Highwall

You’re a bad influence

Must be a bargain shopper too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll take a 70 Featherweight. .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars

I threw the 6.5 Cm conversion on my Dimension for the first time this past weekend. It shot rather well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ll take a 70 Featherweight. .

Ditto

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
After shooting my brother's new Tikka I would have to say that is the one... and at 5.5 lbs without scope, I really appreciated it ... may have to look at one in a couple years...

5.5 lbs ???

Lightest one I can find is 5.94 lbs ?

His is the T3X Superlight in a 30-06 and stainless. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he said it weighed in around 5.5 lbs without scope, rings, etc.... about 6.5 -7 lbs with his Vortex scope on it... and he said he paid just over $700 for it about a year ago....

Bob

Thanks Bob.

It's hard to know what a Tikka weighs, unless you actually weigh it. Be suspicious of any weight they list.

The lightest rifle in their latest catalog is 2.7kg, or 5.94 lbs.

But if you look at the Superlite in 30-06 they say it weighs 6.1 lbs. Below is a link to a page with the 30-06 Superlite specs. Hit Show More to find the 30-06.

Tikka Superlite specs.

You are probably right, and I'm sure he got his info off some literature or hearsay as neither one of us has a scale to weigh our rifles with- probably a good thing... wink In any case, a very impressive rifle for the money and a lot easier to carry than his 12 lb Winchester Classic 300 Mag... at least I think that is what it weighed... smile

Bob

Whether it is 5.9 or 5.5, still a damn good rifle and choice IMHO. . Very hard to go wrong with a Tikka. I was shooting some of mine today, along with my A7, but that one is a $1,200.00 rifle and not worth consideration. Too bad they discontinued another rifle I was shooting today. A Steven's 200. That one meets all the criteria and outshoots most of the suggestions here. Just sayin.

Maybe a good choice. I can't like them for all of the well-known reasons, but I hear they shoot well.

Can't help but wonder why a company that is touted as producing precision products can't quite figure out what they weigh.

Check the link I posted. It says 6.1 lbs.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Whelen,
Those weights are pretty damn close. Every superlight I’ve owned and weighted (t3 and t3x) from Sportsmans has been between 5 pounds 15 ounces and 6 pounds 3 ounces - or ~ 5.9 to 6.1 pounds. They advertise “as light as 5.9 pounds” or something similar; which, they are. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone took 5.9 pounds to be 5 pounds 9 oz - or 5 1/2 pounds - which they aren’t. Happens all the time on here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Whelen,
Those weights are pretty damn close. Every superlight I’ve owned and weighted (t3 and t3x) from Sportsmans has been between 5 pounds 15 ounces and 6 pounds 3 ounces - or ~ 5.9 to 6.1 pounds. They advertise “as light as 5.9 pounds” or something similar; which, they are. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone took 5.9 pounds to be 5 pounds 9 oz - or 5 1/2 pounds - which they aren’t. Happens all the time on here.

My creedmoor weighs 5.9 pounds. Now whether a 30-06 weighs 6.1, rather than 5.9, I could really give a fuc king rats azz.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Whelen,

My creedmoor weighs 5.9 pounds. Now whether a 30-06 weighs 6.1, rather than 5.9, I could really give a fuc king rats azz.

Oh really? Not 6.6lbs like the Tikka boys say?

Pretty sure neither you, or Tikka knows what your rifle weighs.

But it sure as hell isn't 5.5lbs like was mentioned earlier.

All them recycled milk-jugs is heavy smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M70

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 15 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.