Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yeah, they're in Livonia. Between Plymouth and I96 and Merriman and Farmington.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Right now mine has a Leupold 3-9X40 with some sort of ranging crosshair. I'm not that fond of it but it gets me by for now. Previously I had a VX-3 4.5-14X CDS .. better choice for my use but that scope is busy on another rifle for now.

It is likely that a lower powered scope has additional tactical utility, however, I have trouble downgrading when I was getting groups under 0.75" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

This is where I think most get sidetracked when picking a scope. We think we need high magnification and sub MOA to have a useful rifle. I shot this plate with a Colt pencil barreled carbine with a Leupold VX6 1-6 if I remember right. It might have been my Noveske with the Trijicon 1-4 but either way, it was at 400 yards.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’ll take the utility of a LPVO over a Hubble telescope any day.
The 1-4 Trijicon Accupower, I sent the 1-6 Leupold down the road and purchased another one of these. I’d buy a third if they hadn’t doubled in price.

What I thought when I saw BSA's show and tell..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Right now mine has a Leupold 3-9X40 with some sort of ranging crosshair. I'm not that fond of it but it gets me by for now. Previously I had a VX-3 4.5-14X CDS .. better choice for my use but that scope is busy on another rifle for now.

It is likely that a lower powered scope has additional tactical utility, however, I have trouble downgrading when I was getting groups under 0.75" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

This is where I think most get sidetracked when picking a scope. We think we need high magnification and sub MOA to have a useful rifle. I shot this plate with a Colt pencil barreled carbine with a Leupold VX6 1-6 if I remember right. It might have been my Noveske with the Trijicon 1-4 but either way, it was at 400 yards.
I’ll take the utility of a LPVO over a Hubble telescope any day.
The 1-4 Trijicon Accupower, I sent the 1-6 Leupold down the road and purchased another one of these. I’d buy a third if they hadn’t doubled in price.

What I thought when I saw BSA's show and tell..

I shoot 2" targets at 400 yards too. A little difference there. I wouldn't be able to see a 2" dot with a 4 power scope at that distance. Like I've said before, If I were just shooting man sized silhouettes or 2'x2' steel plates, I would maybe have a change in heart (likely not though). As it is, I can also use the 4.5-14x42 or 3.5-15 scope up close and personal too. Not everyone's eyes are the same. No wrong answer here really, just answering the op with what works for us. If the op wants to shoot small groups at 100 yards, I still stand by my first post. That's not saying you can't shoot small groups with irons either. A lot of it has to do with target size and how it matches up to the power range and reticle of your scope. The irons on my Noveske are a prime example of that: I use an 8" bullseye that matches up with the front sight. Works great that way. I'll be using a 4.5-14x42 scope on my 10-22 tomorrow in a know your limits shoot. That's only 50 yards from the bench to the targets. No one even uses a 4x scope in that event. A 3-9x40 is considered a low powered scope, in fact. My single shot wears a 6-18x40. I run max power in this event. Most of us use scopes with a 14 power minimum. Go back and read my first post, where I say everyone is different. Especially when it comes to our eyes.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 3.5x10 Leupolds on my Rock River varmints

Last edited by hanco; 10/09/21.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Everyone is different… Truth.

I know a guy that obsesses over small groups at 25 yards with a pistol, while my obsession is a shot in the A zone from 7 yards under 1 second from the draw. Consistently.

I like carbines and versatility. Some like rifles and Hubble telescopes. No real right or wrong choice just different. Pick the right tool for the job. That’s why you don’t see carbines and LPVO’s at long range tactical matches and a 24” rifle wearing a NF Beast at a 2 gun match.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm not sure how they are going to hold up. I've heard good things about the Nikons, but not from anyone who has twisted the knobs long term.
For the money, they are hard to beat. I'd trust a Nikon long before I'd trust something like an Athlon, and damn sure long before I'd trust a Bushnell, Leapers, NcStar or UTG!
I agree but just a small FYI. Leapers is the company name and one of their brands is UTG. They are only 4 miles from my house. I used to pick up orders there for my employer before I retired. I wouldn't own anything they make.
Had no idea. Are you sure they don't just import from China?

Since I wrote that, someone told me about an old Highmaster who still shoots HM scores using a Nikon M-223 1-4X with the 3MOA dot. So, apparently at least his example is standing up to some knob twisting. Sample of 1, YMMV, offers void where prohibited.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve had a Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 Ballistic FireDot Illuminated Reticle Scope on my heavy barreled AR in 223 / 556 I use for hogs and culling deer at the Ranch for quite a while.
I’ve been very pleased with it and it’s never failed me.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/09/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I just put a bn Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 on my Mini14, at 12"long it's perfect fit, crystal clear optics. Everything I own is Vortexed except wife's MP 15-22, has an old Nikon 4x12 on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Dre
Burris 2.5-10 should cover you on the cheap.
It would be plenty for Your range time and varmint.

I would of said Nikon but they are no longer in the game. Burris is a good choice.

kwg

Nikon's are disposable now. That doesn't mean one won't work. Just when it goes tits up, you are sol..

When do Nikons go tits up? Never had a scope failure Nikons or Leupolds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are places that specialize in repairing optics.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.