Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Dumbass hypothetical question in the 1st place.

MM

Which has been rehashed literally thousands of times and is a worn out beat to death topic. Yeah I know, I read and replied to it but I'm kinda worn out too. But only beat half to death.

You're missing the added nuance of this thread. The OP only loads his guns with FMJ.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Personally I don't care.

Things are based off the lowest common denominator in the house, which is my wife, who is not a shooter, so there are .38 specials tucked here and there. I have whatever I am carrying that day, or was carrying the day before usually sitting close by, and that might be a single stack 1911, or a Glock 17/19/34. It really makes little difference.

In actually pointing my guns at people literally hundreds of times over decades, I have found that my actions matter more, more than my hardware. Gaining control and maintaining control are of more importance to me. I don't care if I have a lever action or a Glock, or a .44 mag.

It's almost like you think training, mindset, and experience > "stuff"

Crazy talk.

On a funny note, a Vietnam vet 1st Sgt told us once before we had "experience" that your 1st gunfight is gonna be like the 1st time you got laid. You're not gonna be as good as you thought you would, it'll be over quicker than you thought it would be, and the best possible outcome is that you're just good enough to get the chance to do it again."

He was a genius.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker

You're missing the added nuance of this thread. The OP only loads his guns with FMJ.

Then he's even dumber than his question indicates.

As I replied in the thread about that, yeah, I'll sure as hell use ball if there's nothing else, but good HP's are surely preferred today by anyone with an ounce if sense.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
9mm or 45 ?.........the answer to that question is .40 or 10mm LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
In the drawer that is directly in front of me when I am at my desk is a Springfield MilSpec 1911 in .45 acp, nine rounds.
Right next to it is a SIG P2022 9mm, 18 rounds.
If a "serious social situation" should arise, ie home invasion , I'm not completely sure which one I would grab.
I shoot the 19911 better than the SIG.
But the idea of 18 rounds vs 9 is worth pondering also.
Obviously its all conjecture until something happens, but, if I had to choose one now, I think I'd grab the SIG.
How about you?

Instead of being critical I will help you by suggesting .40S&W as alternative to both. The ammo price is between 9x19 and .45ACP and pistols can be same or similar size to 9x19,

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
In the drawer that is directly in front of me when I am at my desk is a Springfield MilSpec 1911 in .45 acp, nine rounds.
Right next to it is a SIG P2022 9mm, 18 rounds.
If a "serious social situation" should arise, ie home invasion , I'm not completely sure which one I would grab.
I shoot the 19911 better than the SIG.
But the idea of 18 rounds vs 9 is worth pondering also.
Obviously its all conjecture until something happens, but, if I had to choose one now, I think I'd grab the SIG.
How about you?

Instead of being critical I will help you by suggesting .40S&W as alternative to both. The ammo price is between 9x19 and .45ACP and pistols can be same or similar size to 9x19,

Another big SD advantage of the .45 ACP, is that it is a low-pressure round.

... given the confined spaces that SD shootings generally occur.

GR

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yea, but witch one would be the best against a bear attack. 😂😂😂

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you've ever fired a non-suppressed firearm indoors with no hearing protection, try it once and you will truly appreciate what I'm about to state.

For self-defense, I want the largest diameter bullet I can use for the situation. That is generally going to be a .44 or .45, unless the gun needs to be concealed in hot weather, then there's no choice but to go to a 9mm/.380 or.357 diameter.

Why do I want big diameter when all the arguments about kinetic energy, temporary wound cavity, etc... are out there? Because I carry and use for home defense subsonic ammo. In a defensive situation, particularly in the dark, your ears can be as important as your eyes, and your eyes are useless if they're blinded by muzzle blast. Shoot a full house 125 grain .357 magnum load out of a 2" barrel in the dark, you will be blinded for several seconds, and if indoors, your ears will be ringing loud enough that you are nearly deaf as well.

It's not good to be deaf and blind if someone is trying to do you harm.

My defensive carry/house handguns are:

3" barreled Ruger GP100 in .44 Special, loaded with 180 grain XTPs at 1,000-1,050 fps.
Colt 1911 5" Government Model loaded with 230 grain Silvertips at similar velocity.
Colt 3 1/2" Defender with 185 grain Silvertips at 950-1,000 fps.
Colt Mustang Pocketlite with 85 grain Hydroshocks at 900-950 fps.

If I have a large jacket, I carry the Government Model. The Defender if my outer carry garment is less bulky but can still be pulled down over the weapon. The Mustang Pocketlite goes in a front pants pocket holster if I'm wearing a non pullover shirt.

The GP100 is my truck glove box gun and also sits in my top right desk drawer at home (where I work). The Government Model is in the nightstand. A suppressed Mini-14, loaded with 50 grain Ballistic Tips, sits vertically in a wall-mounted bracket behind the headboard.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It seems silly to have to shoot somebody more than once, which is why the 9's have high cap mags.

.45 all the way. I may be biased as I do not own any 9mm's.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Personally I don't care.

Things are based off the lowest common denominator in the house, which is my wife, who is not a shooter, so there are .38 specials tucked here and there. I have whatever I am carrying that day, or was carrying the day before usually sitting close by, and that might be a single stack 1911, or a Glock 17/19/34. It really makes little difference.

In actually pointing my guns at people literally hundreds of times over decades, I have found that my actions matter more, more than my hardware. Gaining control and maintaining control are of more importance to me. I don't care if I have a lever action or a Glock, or a .44 mag.

Fascinating.
I’ve only ever pointed a loaded gun with potential intent to fire at one person in my life. I’m pretty sure the caliber of it didn’t make a difference either. Interesting insight.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t do .46 ACP but prefer 44 special or mag, and also like 9mm para. Whichever was closest to my hand would suffice. In a perfect world of picking ones poison, I like the big bore for shooting through things, at my intended target. And the 9 for not doing that.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I think you need to buy a double stack .45 ... compared with the 9mm. Then its not as bad a comparison... wink

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by goalie
Personally I don't care.

It's almost like you think training, mindset, and experience > "stuff"

Crazy talk.

On a funny note, a Vietnam vet 1st Sgt told us once before we had "experience" that your 1st gunfight is gonna be like the 1st time you got laid. You're not gonna be as good as you thought you would, it'll be over quicker than you thought it would be, and the best possible outcome is that you're just good enough to get the chance to do it again."

He was a genius.

Spot on , with added humor, he knew how to get youngsters to remember

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Around the house? First I’d start with a dog that barks.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

MM

Which has been rehashed literally thousands of times and is a worn out beat to death topic. Yeah I know, I read and replied to it but I'm kinda worn out too. But only beat half to death.

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point. If you know what your doing the bullet style means nothing. If a bunch of jackasses is coming through a doorway you could get some twofers and otherwise make head, or pelvic hits. Inside a house hitting an egg sized target is easy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Around the house? First I’d start with a dog that barks.....

At my house the dogs would be the intruders first problem.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gunzo
Which one of those do you carry to the john?

If the schit happens, murphy says it won't happen when you're sitting in front of the drawer with 2 pistols.

If it happens before he gets to the john, he’ll have more than pistols in his drawers. And will smell bad. That alone might deter the invaders.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by rickt300

MM

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point.
How many of those were multiple hits from subguns?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

MM

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point.
How many of those were multiple hits from subguns?

How many were from 1 single hit?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of the real pleasures of shooting FMJ's is the opportunity for shooting the perp more than once. Shoot for bone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
587 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.