Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I was not present when it happened. My mom had a misfire, barely dimpled primer. She was able to rack another shell and fill her tag. I was able to duplicate it by lifting the bolt handle 10* or so. If it’s not 100 % down it will misfire. Has anyone else encountered this?

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
What caliber? My 300blk was prone to misfires until I adjusted the headspace.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
What caliber? My 300blk was prone to misfires until I adjusted the headspace.

Yep. I know two people that had misfires with them in 300 BO.
Both had to go back to Ruger.

I haven’t had any misfires with any of mine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
It’s a muddy girl youth .243. I was able to simulate it while dry firing my predator .243 also. I’ll have to wait until I can find more shells for further tests.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alibi
It’s a muddy girl youth .243. I was able to simulate it while dry firing my predator .243 also. I’ll have to wait until I can find more shells for further tests.

Excuse my confusion, but how does one simulate a misfire while dry firing?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Excuse my confusion, but how does one simulate a misfire while dry firing?

Yep. WTH ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Did it the same as the problem rifle but without a shell in it. Lift your bolt up 10-15*, depress trigger and watch and listen. The offending rifle and my rifle acted the same but I don’t have any shells left for live fire with mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No surprise if bolt isn't down.

Exactly how I do my bolt action guns when ready to store. Lift bolt, pull trigger and bolt shuts as firing pin falls.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of reports of that in hunting situations. Not just the Ruger. Any bolt that does not lock with the safety can be bumped up unnoticed.
Someone on Facebook was overcomplicating looking for the cause on a custom 280AI.
If the bolt isn't down, the energy will be directed there before the primer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As per Kenmi the spring energy to the primer is decreased when the bolt is not fully closed. You can duplicate the same thing using practically any bolt action rifle.
The other thing to consider is that you do not want the cartridge the fire with the bolt only partially closed - consequences could be diastrous. It doesn't seem to be as much a rifle problem as it is a user error.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
@KenMi @drover

That is the same conclusion I was coming to. Loss of firing pin energy as it’s camming the bolt into battery. This is the first I’ve come across this. Basically a safety feature. I’m most familiar with 700 type bolts and triggers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve somehow acquired the habit of using my trigger finger to check that the bolt is fully closed, plus I often use the Indian carry, which is the rifle cradled in the crook of my left arm, with my thumb crooked over the bolt knob. That carry method leaves my right hand free while permitting me to pivot the rifle to avoid stuff in the way. Does get tiring with a heavy one.

My Mom didn’t hunt. Lucky you!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The non locking 700s work the same as do Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Ruger and many others if bolt doesn't lock or is on fire.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another pat on the Tikka's back.
Never messed with a Ruger American, but have experienced it with
other rifles, and no of others who have also.

My interest now is only guns that lock the bolt.
Sure there are wirkaronds. Techniques, to accomadate bad design.

PS. Always hated the need to go off safe to unload,
untill I bought a 700 that didn't unlock the bolt.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some use a rubber band to keep the bolt down. If a quick reload is needed the band will easily snap when operating the bolt

Last edited by KenMi; 10/10/21.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’m gonna be 69 years old in about a month and have never had this problem. When stand hunting I never fully close the bolt until ready to shoot. I don’t trust safeties. Guns are not supposed to fire unless bolt is fully down. Edk

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would think, that at some point the shooter has some responsibility to be competent to load, chamber a live round into battery, and fire. Difficult, yes, but do-able. Otherwise we will end up like the auto industry, with seat belts, full airbags, auto collision avoidance programs, back-up cameras, roll over protection, auto on and off headlights, anti skid , anti tailgating and so on.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I just bought one in 300 BO for $10 bucks at a LGS. 😁 I had gotten a nice gift certificate when I retired so I used that and it was on the Second Amendment sales tax holiday weekend so saved another 7% there too.
I’ve loaded some ammo but haven’t shot it yet so I’ll have to be alert for that problem.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was not present when it happened. My mom had a misfire, barely dimpled primer. She was able to rack another shell and fill her tag. I was able to duplicate it by lifting the bolt handle 10* or so. If it’s not 100 % down it will misfire. Has anyone else encountered this?
Yup... One guy brought in his Ruger sayin' he's getting misfires... I checked it out.. All good. He comes back, sez the same thing.. I got a box of rounds, sat him down at my shooting bench and watched how he worked the rifle.. I noticed his hand rode up a bit on the wrist of the stock and the hand came into contact with the bolt handle and moved it up just a hair...

I showed him what that does, and he was plenty embarrassed...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
My cousin had two misfires on deer this month. Same day even. He is way more patient than me because I would have wrapped that sumbitch around a tree.

I will ask if he fugged up and didn't have the handle all the way down.

Weird though that lots of people are having the same issue with the same gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.