OP Offline
B
What is the best elk hunting boot?

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Too broad a question. Time of year? Elevation? Miles hiked? Backpack hunter? etc, etc.

Having said that....I like Kenetreks.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just like asking what's the best pickup truck. The one that fits.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I like my Lowa Renegade GTX’s . I also will be trying out Oboz boots tomorrow and see how they perform. I broke em in this summer and they feel great. They tend to run small if you ever order some online. I’d recommend going to a dealer and trying them on. My 11.5 D feet required a 12W

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve killed them in $50 China made Redheads but more recently have been wearing a pair of US made Danner Elkhunters that are pretty nice.

My uncle is the elk killingest dude I know and he wears Meindel hikers.

For the terrain and season we hunt the main requirement is comfort. To kill elk reliably in our area requires putting lots of miles on daily in rough country. Warmth and waterproofing aren’t nearly as important as proper fit and a good sole.

Decide what the weather is likely to be like when and where you plan to hunt and find a quality boot that fits you well. By the time a couple pair are worn out you might be getting pretty good at killing elk.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anything not made in China, though I don't think the elk would care!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as it's not too far below freezing, I wear uninsulated 6" Keen boots. I like Keens because they're wider in the toes and fit me better than any other brand I've tried. Mainly our elk seasons are in Oct and the temperatures are moderate. Last year we hunted a Nov season and it was a bit colder but nowhere near brutal. The boots worked fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No elk here in Germany but red stag, fallow deer, sika, wild boar and roe deer. In mountainous parts ibex and chamois. I use Meindl Perfect but would also go for Danner boots if available in Germany.

Danner boots btw reminds me always of this:

https://www.vogue.com/article/reese-witherspoon-wild-hiking-boots-rei

Last edited by ElmerKeith; 09/30/21.

Elmer Keith
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless you are talking early season, I now have some Hoffman Explorer boots and love them.

Honestly think I'll buy another pair soon just to have a backup pair.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Did 10 miles the other day with my not quite new, La Sportiva Makalu boots. Had some discomfort at the end but wore them again the next day. My third pair of La Sportiva's in 20 plus years of pretty consistent use. Would not buy any other.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have always used garden variety, 7” hiking boots like Vasque and North Face with good success. However, they wear out and soles rip apart after 2 seasons of good use. I like to run & gun in early season and mid season elk so I haven’t encountered many temps <20F. With liners and good performance socks, I have been fine with uninsulated boots.

I ripped apart my North Face boots last week in WY and CO and have already sent them back for a replacement pair. These will be my light weight general purpose boots and for day hikes with the family during summer trips.

I’m going to buy a better pair of boots for my style of hunting and am leaning towards Kenetrek’s Hardscrabble Hiker and Mountain Extreme. I like the look of the rubber sole and the support they offer over what I have been using.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 73 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.