-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Run it at WOT on your boat with a healthy dose of sea foam, not the maintenance dose

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

And why wouldn't adding Stabil and/or SeaFoam into the fuel tank and running the motor at season's end achieve the same thing?

I run SeaFoam in everything I have on occasion as preventative maintenance, swear by it.

At one time I had 20 outboards I used in a summer boat rental business.

I've always fogged my outboards at seasons end before I put them to bed and always had great luck with them.

Maybe it's over-kill, maybe not. It's worth the added measure to me.

The Ethanol effect on fuel lines is a blown outta proportion rumor.

The manufacturers of Ethanol have debunked these rumors.

All old neoprene fuel lines break down over time, if a line isn't brand new the dark colored residue will be present.

The new fuel line on the market today is due to EPA requirments for the blended fuel on the market we now have.
Ethanol is just one of many things now blended into our fuel.

EPA requires a certified fuel line to have a liner, of course as usual the bigger problem now is the liners breaking down and clogging fuel systems, causing leaks and consequently fires...go figure...

For a better understanding of modern fuel lines and blended fuels there is a good, short read here..

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/10/14/how-to-choose-fuel-line-material/

The comments are as informative as the article.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
Hi, I have an older-!980?- Evenrude 40hp outboard motor. It wasn't started for 5-7 years, has been stored in a heated garage. It started right up, but it has a miss every 5 seconds or so whether on idle or half throttle- I'm running it off the garden hose with earmuff type hose connections. I had it tuned up and only put maybe 25 hours on it before I stored it. When I take the sparkplugs out after running it they are wet and black. I used new 93 octane gas, new hose and connections. My other motor runs great with this setup. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

If the last gas mixture you used had ethanol in it that’s probably your problem. Even mixed with oil it will still varnish your carburetors. BTDT with a ‘85 150 Mercury, Yamaha ATV, Honda BigRed. If you are still using old fuel dump it. Add fresh non-ethanol gas mixture with something like SeaFoam in it. With the gas line disconnected pull the plugs and cycle the motor to blow the old crap out of the cylinders. Spray the inside of the cylinders with Kroil. A lot. Then load your carbs up with Kroil. Let it sit a day or so and spray Kroil into the carbs again. Next day try to start the motor. If it still gives the same problem pull the plugs one more time, cycle the motor, add Kroil again. Next day if it doesn’t run right take it to a repair shop or into the back yard. If back yard apply remaining gas mixture to interior of boat and over top of motor and lay a stream on the ground up wind 20 to 30 feet. Apply burning match to gas on ground.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Sounds like bad float needle seats. Pretty common problem since ethanol came on the scene. It allows too much unregulated fuel into the cylinder, causing fowling and missing. I have 2 snowmobiles sitting out back right now that need new float needles and seats before winter.

Take it out on the water and run the piss out of it for a few hours

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
new spark plugs, sea foam , and the best new fuel you can find

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sounds like bad float needle seats. Pretty common problem since ethanol came on the scene. It allows too much unregulated fuel into the cylinder, causing fowling and missing. I have 2 snowmobiles sitting out back right now that need new float needles and seats before winter.

That’d be a good guess. That, or just a stuck float (or bad float).

Also, any motors this old, that have been sitting, likely need a new water pump impeller, and a new fuel pump (or fuel pump diaphragm).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
new spark plugs, sea foam , and the best new fuel you can find

run the piss out of it for a few hours

In that order.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Agreed. Sounds like time for a carburetor rebuild to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx

That’d be a good guess. That, or just a stuck float (or bad float).

Also, any motors this old, that have been sitting, likely need a new water pump impeller, and a new fuel pump (or fuel pump diaphragm).

all it takes is a little piece of varnish breaking loose an winding up in the needle seat.
it is a lot like a stroke except it doesn't kill the motor.. it just gives you a heart murmur.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 10/10/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am fortunate that I can easily find and buy real gasoline here with no ethanol. I know it doesn't solve the immediate problem with your outboard but once you get the fuel system cleaned and the timing set correctly for the octane fuel you plan to use. Try and avoid the ethanol. It separates and absorbs water and is corrosive to old plastics and rubber seals and gaskets.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It started right up, but it has a miss every 5 seconds or so whether on idle or half throttle-

Now that all the Sea Foam and ethanol gas mechanics have given you their diagnosis, I'll tell you what is wrong. The symptoms you are describing is whats known as a lean sneeze, very common on that era motor. You can try richening the air/fuel mixture and see if it will go away, but it almost always requires a carb rebuild.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ToeCutter

Wonderful way to blow up a motor that is running lean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243
It started right up, but it has a miss every 5 seconds or so whether on idle or half throttle-

Now that all the Sea Foam and ethanol gas mechanics have given you their diagnosis, I'll tell you what is wrong. The symptoms you are describing is whats known as a lean sneeze, very common on that era motor. You can try richening the air/fuel mixture and see if it will go away, but it almost always requires a carb rebuild.

Always better to strat with adjusting a carb that was running fine during it's last use or rebuilding the carburetor vs running a couple bucks worth of fuel/carb treatment through it and keeping your fingers crossed.

A guy's gotta start somewhere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi, I have an older-!980?- Evenrude 40hp outboard motor.......
When I take the sparkplugs out after running it they are wet and black.

[Linked Image from cdn.fiix.io]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JeffA

Yep. While it could be a “lean sneeze”, like Mirage 243 says, the black plugs the OP mentions make me think of flooding/rich. Like I said, could be float stuck open or bad float.

If lean, could be clogged carb or hung float. Could also be fuel pump diaphragm (hardened from years of fuel exposure), and carb is not getting good fuel supply.

Either way, the thing could probably use the carb cleaned out, a new fuel pump or fuel pump diaphragm, and then replace the water pump impeller, as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JeffA

You can't take a plug reading off of something that has sat for years and has only been run on the hose, you have to put it under load. All 2 strokes will show super rich plugs after just running on the hose whether they are truly running fat or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fat 2 strokers runnin?

😜

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ToeCutter

Similar to my advice for my father in law on his motorcycle.
And it was before ethanol gas. Plain gas goes to crap too
A couple burpy, coughing, sputtering passes, then it took
off. Ran perfect!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hi, I have an older-!980?- Evenrude 40hp outboard motor. It wasn't started for 5-7 years, has been stored in a heated garage. It started right up, but it has a miss every 5 seconds or so whether on idle or half throttle- I'm running it off the garden hose with earmuff type hose connections. I had it tuned up and only put maybe 25 hours on it before I stored it. When I take the sparkplugs out after running it they are wet and black. I used new 93 octane gas, new hose and connections. My other motor runs great with this setup. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

Was it run dry before it was stored 5-7 years?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's not much of a problem to me....This is a problem! What you are seeing in the picture my son sent me a couple of weeks ago, the faint haze of smoke, is all that is left of a 1980 9.9 Evinrude that just prior to this picture being taken, was running fine. 16 feet of water with alligators. No oil sheen to mark the spot. There was no indication of it at all when searched for with a depth recorder that can see everything else in the area. I bought it new in 1980. It never took more than 2 pulls to start and ran like a top. I ran it dry after every use and did regular maintenance. It was a great engine that has found its final resting place evidently.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.