Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wife and I think we want a walk-in tub with shower and I’m asking for anyone with knowledge here to cast some pearls. I could use them. I’m not handy and will either have a good carpenter/builder I know install it or one of the brand name seller/installers.

Unless persuaded otherwise, we want one of the small footprint sit in tubs with a door on the side and low threshold, no extras or frills.

Whether online or on the phone I’ve run into gobbledygook and evasions from ALL seller/installers. Safestep, Kohler and American Standard are scheduled to come look at our place and give us a bid. Home Depot and ilk are the only places that give features and price.

Experience, advice, warnings welcome.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Roger might be the man.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with those estimates. Seems they will try as hard as they can to upselll you from the base model you seem to want.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, one day the wife and I might want to go that route. Right now I use the regular tub/shower combo in the second bathroom and she uses the walk in shower in the master bath. Neither of us uses a bathtub regularly, so for now, the walk in works when we can' get over the edge of a regular tub, as in after knee replacement surgery.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Something to consider with the walk in tub is that you have to sit in it while it fills up and while it drains out. You may also need to upgrade your water heater.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Was looking at having a drop in tub and wall liner done for Khans bathroom and the updated plumbing and tub and shower fixtures done for it also.

8k.........

Fugg dat...

Had em do the updated fixtures and inside wall plumbing with access door to it thru a closet wall and new drain assembly with pipe.

925 bucks......
Bout a 3 hr job from Ben Franklin.

But that was all also late spring 2019.

I can only imagine cost now.......

Last edited by renegade50; 10/11/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Before you buy understand how they work.

The door opens almost to the floor, for easy access.

You MUST enter the tub while it is empty.

Then you must sit there and wait for the water to fill.

You must also sit and freeze your ass off waiting for the water to drain.

You can avoid the waiting to fill and waiting to drain buy climbing over the edge, but then you just defeated the purpose.

If you have medium to low water pressure the fill wait can be a royal pain.

You will prolly have to install a drain large enough to drain it fast, so as to keep you from freezing your ass off .

Also make sure your water heater is large enough to fill it without sending you Luke warm water towards the end.

Besides, never wash your face in the same water you have your ass in.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Besides, never wash your face in the same water you have your ass in.
You do that in any bathtub, Jacuzzi, or swimming pool, not just in a walk-in tub.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Were it me I'd just get a Jacuzzi and forget the tub. I changed out all the tubs long ago and went to walk in showers. Pat Boone should've stuck to singing and golf.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Walkin in shower with a seat??

Last edited by hanco; 10/11/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As others have pointed out you sit in it as it is filled and emptied. You will be rinsing yourself as it empties to keep soap scum off of you. The seals can and do go bad. A curbless tile shower is a much better idea.

GreggH

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Be careful with estimates. This is one of the biggest rip offs for seniors. I had two, one was $12,000 the other $15000

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In our former house, we had a walk in shower that had the same footprint as a common bathtub. Seats on both ends and a sliding glass door.

I sure miss that set-up.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Phuque that , I might as well just install a dive tank so I can repair and service dive gear while I wait for the tub to fill and drain!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Walki in shower with a seat??

I'd prefer a shower alone but wife likes the tub opton, though the comments here have me reconsidering.

Appreciate the info and comments. Very helpful.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My mother, who is 103, had a sit down shower installed a few years ago. It has 2 shower heads, one of them being a hand held mounted about waist height. She can sit on a stool and use it to wash all over. Make sure the stool has a back to keep an elderly person from rolling off backwards.

This one is one I installed for my MIL who used to live with us. The hand held slides up and down the bar so a person can sit on a stool and reach it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Something to consider with the walk in tub is that you have to sit in it while it fills up and while it drains out. You may also need to upgrade your water heater.

Another thing to consider is that Jim has AIDS.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Was looking at having a drop in tub and wall liner done for Khans bathroom and the updated plumbing and tub and shower fixtures done for it also.

8k.........

Fugg dat...

Had em do the updated fixtures and inside wall plumbing with access door to it thru a closet wall and new drain assembly with pipe.

925 bucks......
Bout a 3 hr job from Ben Franklin.

But that was all also late spring 2019.

I can only imagine cost now.......

And you could have done all that yourself for $146

Just have to take a day off from Good Guys at Sunrise

LOL

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A decent bathroom remodel done by a contractor will run you about $18-25k depending on fixtures and flooring. Those walk in tubs aren't cheap.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Walki in shower with a seat??

exactly. before or shortly after i retire i will eliminate the last tub in the house and do a tiled shower stall. i did mine downstairs with a seat, shelves, etc and my wife likes it. it takes up more space though and unless you do it yourself, it is pricey. i did mine and it only took me two years lol. talk about scope creep. started out as just a shower and ended up involving a jack hammer, sledge hammer and about 200 SF of tile. the next one will not be nearly as much.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Those commercials on TV make those walk in tubs with the door look cool.

Betty Sue in there soaking…

Nothing to trip on….

Not a care in the world….

Until the bubble guts hit.

Never tell you how long it takes to drain.

Now you trapped in brown pond water…..

Cant swim from it either.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,538
Posts18,453,065
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.