Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
most people like me, leave bad brass on the range for people that are scavengers for brass to sell for scrap. I only use my brass and in 50 years of reloading never had a problem, or blew up a firearm... you pick up junk and your reloads are junk, stop that ....

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did not fire on bolt closing, fired with the trigger pull.

No sign of brass not seated properly, but I wasn't really looking for that, as I assumed it would not fire out of battery.

Maybe a bad assumption?

Still waiting for the gunsmith to call me back.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Bolt stuck hard" means wouldn't cycle at all by hand?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
I've seen split cases, separated cases, blown primers and set back bullets in AR platforms. Only time I ever saw any damage similar to this was from a slam fire / out of battery condition (not counting the pictures of the 300 BO fired in a 5.56 chambered rifle).

I'm trying to figure out how you can get a slam fire/out of battery when the firing pin can't reach the primer until the bolt rotates and locks into the lugs of the RE?

A bullet setback could cause the bolt to unlock and force the gas/pressure out the easiest route but an OOB firing is next to impossible unless the firing pin is out of spec or broken.

Slam fires have occurred but never resulting in a blown up AR like this.

Not trying to argue just simply going over facts trying to determine what happened.

You can try to figure it out all you want. Over the years, we've all probably had split cases. Never having it fu ck up the gun like this. Something was not right with the load or rifle. A lot of speculation on your end though.. The one sure thing you said is we all need to be very aware of the brass we pick up. Like I said, if its garbage brass, don't pick it up. I find all kinds of military crap brass and leave it lay. I've walked over tons of it. Check out some of the recent manufacture WW brass that they load for the military. Its garbage. The FC I picked up has scamp markings on it, but its commercial brass. Its much better than regular ol FC brass.

"You can try to figure it out all you want" I thought this was what forums were for?

"Something was not right with the load or rifle" Seriously?

"A lot of speculation on your end though.." Just the facts mam, just the facts. Yes it's mostly a guessing game but as I stated, in all the Ka-booms I've followed, the ammo was the culprit. The design prevents the gun from firing out of battery, yet it's always an answer that comes up and it needs to stop. This gun picked up and seated the cartridge in the chamber, fired after he pulled the trigger, went boom and the pressure went the wrong way. How am I speculating?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mulespurs
Just a possibility,

Oncce upon a time I was trying to call coyotes. No luck and no luck and no luck.

After about 6 stands, unloading and loading every time with an ar-15, same shell every time, The last time I unloaded I found the bullet setback into the case enough that the bullet ogive was almost into the case shoulder, almost rattling in the case.

I never shot that one but often thought that it could have been a catastrophic event. No way we'll ever know but it would have been hard to diagnose for me.

Now I crimp my 223 better.

I’ve never crimped my .233/5.56 ammo and never had a problem…however…about 15 years ago my local Walmart hadn’t been having much luck moving Remington.233 ammo loaded with 50 grain HP’s. Finally, they marked it down to $5.00/box and I took all they had at that price, for the brass if nothing else. Figured I’d shoot it up for fun… To get an idea of how accurate the stuff was, (it wasn’t btw) I tried it in my Les Baer Super Varmint. After four or five shots, for some reason I ejected an unfired case and did a double take: the bullet was crammed significantly into the case neck, enough so to scare the hell out of me. I shot up the rest of them in a bolt gun. I have never had a problem with any other ammo that way (and still don’t crimp stuff for my AR’s. I suspect that some bullet profiles and some feed ramp configurations don’t play well together.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Range brass is my first thought. Coupla years ago a notorious scrounger at my IWLA range totaled his upper with a reloaded pickup case. He even fessed up about the likely cause.

Schitt happens, but happens less to the prudent. Let us know what he says.

Range brass is perfectly fine, if you know what you are picking up. Some is garbage and just stays in the dirt. The last time I picked up any, it was primo new once fired chidt. FC and PMC. That was a few years ago and that's mostly all I've been using since then. I think I picked up 1200 pcs of FC and 600 pcs of PMC. I made it a point to shoot the FC range pick up brass in the black rifle challenge here. If you don't know what you are picking up, leave it lay. Sometimes there's a reason it's laying there. Secondly, I'm wondering if the rifle fired out of battery? Glad to hear no one was hurt as well.

Sure, but I would rather buy brass than spend the time sorting, checking for incipient separations, etc. Before the crunch, I bought 750 new LC cases for $45 per 250, a bargain IMO. I did buy some once-fired surplus .308 during a previous dearth, which was fine, and only required sorting, sizing and decrimping, but still more trouble than I prefer. I do pick up a few to use for setting up dies, dummy rounds, etc. To each his own.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Did not fire on bolt closing, fired with the trigger pull.

No sign of brass not seated properly, but I wasn't really looking for that, as I assumed it would not fire out of battery.

Maybe a bad assumption?

Still waiting for the gunsmith to call me back.

Have you broke down any of your remaining ammo from that session, to see if anything looks weird (undercharges, overcharges, powder looking different than normal Tac, etc)?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by auk1124

Have you broke down any of your remaining ammo from that session, to see if anything looks weird (undercharges, overcharges, powder looking different than normal Tac, etc)?

John Stark.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Glad you're ok!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

i had a boom . had to get a new upper and a mag . it looked as though it went off out of battery

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gunsmith will break it down next week, he’s deer hunting now.

He thinks only the bolt will need replaced.

I’ll update when I know more.

John Stark.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The importance of checking the web area of all fired cases with a wire clip before loading up.
Takes a second & if you feel anything throw the case.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was an unsupported case, probably just a little out of battery and a little more than “once fired “

John Stark.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad you found the suspected cause.

If you get pressure from more known safe rounds so to speak I'd look hard for a carbon ring. They can sneak up on you and create havoc until removed. Normally by scrubbing with abrasive...

Haven't seen the campfire for a long time. Unfortunately it seems that the amount of dumbazzes is spreading.

Hope all else is well with you!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Jeff!

I'll check that out and report back.

John Stark.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
It was an unsupported case, probably just a little out of battery and a little more than “once fired “

No offense intended, but I don't buy the "little out if battery" story. I'll believe it if you can explain it, but otherwise it is doo-doo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What’s to explain? Unknown brass failure, probably sizing out of spec (someone else loaded these)

We still don’t have it apart. It’s soaking in Kroil.

You can’t get enough TAC in a 223 case to cause a blowup, or at least I can’t. You certainly can’t double charge it.

It was Hornady’s top load of 24.7 TAC under a 55 grain SP with a CCI41 primer, seated to the cannelur.

What’s not to believe?

What alternative are you proposing?

John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe they can explain it better than I did.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/can-an-ar-15-fire-out-of-battery.408683/
And if your smith hasn’t even got it apart yet, how does he know what happened?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Its speculation at this part.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, finally got the unit apart, and it was a case head separation. The upper, barrel and BCG are OK, the bolt needs replaced, and the charging handle is bent from me "mortaring" it to get the stuck case out.

No more reloads from pick up brass, I guess.

And no more reloads from friends.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

John Stark.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 82 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.