Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by xarcher
The notion that we accept different umpires having different strike zones is not acceptable. There is only one strike zone and each umpire us instructed to call that strike zone. Players should expect to have the same strike zone called regardless of the time or place. The human element is not that players have to adjust to an umpires strike zone, but instead how accurately can an umpire call the pitch.

If we remember back years ago to the Maddux, Glavin, Smoltz era the umps essentially turned the strike zone on its side and called strikes 6-12” off the plate.
Keep the umps and just call the strike zone as it’s written in the rule book. I think having the strike zone depicted on tv has actually made the umps do that better. Instant replay for the close calls on the bases, foul balls down the line, etc shows the umps are usually correct.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by navlav8r

If we remember back years ago to the Maddux, Glavin, Smoltz era the umps essentially turned the strike zone on its side and called strikes 6-12” off the plate.
Keep the umps and just call the strike zone as it’s written in the rule book. I think having the strike zone depicted on tv has actually made the umps do that better. Instant replay for the close calls on the bases, foul balls down the line, etc shows the umps are usually correct.

Agreed, 100%. It's just like wanting all of these new gun laws. If they actually enforced the laws already on the books, we would have little need for "new" laws.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've always felt the best thing for youth baseball is the seating be 1000 yards from the field and let kids play the kids game. I've missed my share of ball/strike safe/out just like every umpire had but I'll take my goods over my bads.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Uh,

it's not like it's HOCKEY,

so does it really matter?

PS, look at what video review has done in slowing down most sports that now use it. There are call for some sort of detection in HOCKEY pucks to make sure one fully crosses a goal line when hidden by a goalie's glove or body. Watching soccer sucks more nowadays as they stop the game to contest/view offsides and penalties. Let the refs do their jobs.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I've always felt the best thing for youth baseball is the seating be 1000 yards from the field and let kids play the kids game. I've missed my share of ball/strike safe/out just like every umpire had but I'll take my goods over my bads.

***** THIS *****

You've never seen little league parents syndrome until you've had to deal with parents who have "invested" a few thousand dollars in their little ski racers and think that their good, but not great, kids would be coached up to become an olympic or FIS World Cup elite level ski racer. I coached kids between 12 and 18 when I was in graduate school and there were some parents who apparently thought that there was a formula that involved pouring X dollars into a program would produce Y outcome for their kid, whether the kid had talent or not.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by jaguartx
On Houston vs Sox game not realize we get the strike box on pitches showing where the ball crossed the batters box?

Puke is calling strikes against Astros on pitches 3 inches outside the strike zone.

We need an electronic ball & strike call.... they have tested it and know it works... but so many idiots want the "essence" of the game protected... basically do not want it called correctly

Hell...why not just play virtual baseball and completely ruin the game.

The DH has ruined it enough.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Daverageguy

I umpire games from age 8 thru college and without question the coaches/parents in the 11-12 age range create 90% of the problems. My opinion is the coaches think they qualify for manager of the year award and the parents think their son is their next meal ticket. And the both think they have a better look at a ball/strike from their seat than I do from behind the catcher. Parents don’t know the rules and coaches only know some.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Sako
On Houston vs Sox game not realize we get the strike box on pitches showing where the ball crossed the batters box?

Puke is calling strikes against Astros on pitches 3 inches outside the strike zone.

We need an electronic ball & strike call.... they have tested it and know it works... but so many idiots want the "essence" of the game protected... basically do not want it called correctly

Hell...why not just play virtual baseball and completely ruin the game.

The DH has ruined it enough.

I haven't watched much of baseball since that rule started up. Sure took a major part of "strategy" out of one of the most strategic of team sports.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deflave
The White Sox kicked the schit out of Houston last night.

LOL

Well, them and the ump actually.

From a long time Astro fan who badly wanted them to win last night, it's hard to tell if old jag waz full of booze or just full of chit when he started this circus....

They got their collective azzes handed to them by the WS last night. No umpires involved.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The batter looks white, maybe the call is reparations for all the privileged calls he's gotten in the past.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.