Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Browning X Bolt. The one I own is consistently accurate with factory loads or hand loads. 3/4" MOA I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

What model did you buy that was under a grand ????????????

Bud's has them

I'm not a fan, but to be fair, I've not seen an A-Bolt nor X-Bolt that didn't shoot lights out.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Where do people find all these Howa 1500s? Local stores? I never seem to find any in stock online.

Cabelas has 5 or 6 scratch n dent howas in 6.5 manbun in their used gun library. Most look to be new with minor handling scratches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried GI? I seem to find more of what I’m looking for there than at the other place.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
has anyone looked at the Sauer 100 ? Sweet looking rig to me. Have not heard much on them.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kenjs1
has anyone looked at the Sauer 100 ? Sweet looking rig to me. Have not heard much on them.

Do they have the same pinned barrel as the newer Mausers? They seem very similar. I had an m10 briefly. Very nicely made, especially the trigger.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have liked Tikkas for many years and every one that I have, and have had, were excellent in respect to quality but I am really surprised that they have turned out to be such a favorite in this thread.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by skeen
Browning X Bolt. The one I own is consistently accurate with factory loads or hand loads. 3/4" MOA I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

Bud's has them

I'm not a fan, but to be fair, I've not seen an A-Bolt nor X-Bolt that didn't shoot lights out.

I've seen an xbolt3 that shot like [bleep] until I bedded it. The xbolt3 doesn't come bedded like most other brownings. After bedding it shot as good as anything I've ever shot and better than most

Last edited by Trystan; 10/11/21.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Bud's has them

I've seen an xbolt3 that shot like [bleep] until I bedded it. The xbolt3 doesn't come bedded like most other brownings. After bedding it shot as good as anything I've ever shot
Originally Posted by drover
I have liked Tikkas for many years and every one that I have, and have had, were excellent in respect to quality but I am really surprised that they have turned out to be such a favorite in this thread.

drover

I'm one more vote for the tikka as well! Maybe not the prettiest but the most usable. IME tikkas are less susceptible to environmental change than any other rifle under $1000. They have always gone bang and hit where I aim. They also have by far the highest quality machine work according to a few gunsmith friends.

Last edited by Trystan; 10/11/21.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Winchester 70 as currently made.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Predator. I really want one but I don't really need it. I still want it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

[/quote]

A SS Carbon Mini or an SS Carbon 7-08 would melt my butter.

My SS Howa, purchased new last year, was in a black synthetic stock. I saw a handful of the same in 30-06 around the same time, but haven’t seen any since. Gunbroker is the only place I ‘saw’ them.[/quote]
I would love to find a stainless in 243 or 6.5 or 708 that isn't marked up to insane prices.[/quote]

Have you seen a stainless 7-08 at any price? I have my Creedmoor in an Alpine stock, but haven’t shot it. I’d rather have a 7-08:

Last edited by drano 25; 10/11/21.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Weatherby vanguard

Yep, I agree. The Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 is hard to beat. Here's a few pics of my 1985 CMC Mountaineer .308. - it's an older Aussie version of the Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard made for CMC (Commercial Marketing Company) by Howa in the 80's & 90's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

1885 Highwall

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I assume you mean the Hawkeye Predator. The one I had, which now belongs to my son, is just about perfect. I floated the mag box and the barrel, but “just because”, not to address any problems. Stellar trigger. When I read about how rough the actions are on Rugers, I think about this one. I applied a bit of moly truck bearing grease to all the right places, and it’s slicker than snot on a doorknob.

When I gave my son the choice of several nice rifles, he took this one, having borrowed it for a cull hunt and putting it to work on a couple. Good choice, dammit!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

1885 Highwall

You’re a bad influence

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by jwp475

1885 Highwall

You’re a bad influence

LOL

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Trystan

Bud's has them

I've seen an xbolt3 that shot like [bleep] until I bedded it. The xbolt3 doesn't come bedded like most other brownings. After bedding it shot as good as anything I've ever shot and better than most

You must be a bit confused, Browning never made an xbolt3......nor did they make an A-Bolt III

Browning makes an X-Bolt and they make an AB3 (could mean abortion three but surely is not an A-Bolt)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka T3x Superlite

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dingo

Yep, I agree. The Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 is hard to beat. Here's a few pics of my 1985 CMC Mountaineer .308. - it's an older Aussie version of the Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard made for CMC (Commercial Marketing Company) by Howa in the 80's & 90's.

That's some good looking lumber on your .308

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I assume you mean the Hawkeye Predator.

Not necessarily, I swore that I would never own another Ruger rifle, but one of my buddies stuck me with a new Ruger American Predator in 204 Ruger. It has some awesome features for a budget rifle.......the stock is Tupperware like so many others these days but has a very good bedding system (night and day better than on my recent Tikka purchase). It has the Glock style trigger that I HATE, but I was able to get it to 30oz.......better than my new Tikka again. and I absolutely love the AI 10 round magazine, again much better than the Tikka magazine. for the icing on the cake it shoots better also.........never say never !!!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,491
Posts18,452,102
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.