Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16518380 10/11/21
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
The Commemorative Airforce brought there warbirds to Lincoln,Ne. last Aug. 13-15.On display and available for rides were the B24 Diamond Lil ,P51 Mustang Gunfighter,an AT6 and Stearman.The B29 was parked away from the display area,don't know why.
Always had a strong desire to sample the P51 so signed up for the 30 min. demo ride to take place at 11am on the 14th.Weather was 80 deg, high thin clouds and light SE wind.
The CAF has owned this Mustang for 30 plus years and it has given some 3000 rides.It is sn 44-73264,N5428V.It was built Inglewood Ca.,accepted into USAAF in England March 1945, Eighth Airforce,the airplane did not see combat.The European war was soon over,it was shipped back to the US and passed around to different air guard units and sold on surplus market in 1956.
Approx. 15000 P51s were built,8000 were D models.The D models had the bubble clear canopy for better visibility and the RR/Merlin/Packard V12 engine of 1650CI and 1490HP.Engine has cylinder studs torqued and valves lashed every 25hr.Top end goes 500hr. till freshening and bottum end usually goes 1000hr.,they are expensive to work on.It also swings the four blade paddle prop,almost 14 ft. diameter. This is a gear reduction engine, at takeoff the engine turns about 3000rpm,prop turns about 1400 to keep tip speed subsonic.
Demo pilot was Joe "Rifle" Shetterly,great guy who answered all questions and has pilot qualifications and endorsements galore.Got safety briefings,mostly parachute operations and bail out instructions.Must say the aircraft looked to be in excellent condition,very straight, no missing screws or fasteners,paint excellent no leaks or oil streaks.I have flown cropdusters for 29 years and was hoping for dual controls to get a little stick time,it was not to be ,which is understandable.The aircraft was crewed by a couple guys who checked it over thoroughly.For a 6000 hr. high performance airframe it looked very good.
Climbed in,got strapped in,startup uneventful.Taxi to the active using S turns for forward visibility, it had a few rattles and squeaks about what you would expect for a 65 year old bird.Did the runup,mag check,cycle prop,5* right rudder trim,check fuel selector,secure canopy,check gages.
Takeoff requires gradual application of power.There is not enough airflow over rudder at low speed to counteract engine torque and P factor from the big prop.Acceleration was brisk,about half way through takeoff run it felt like full power was "in",the thing accelerated very hard.The engine would make about 61" manifold pressure at field elavation,pulled 56" on this takeoff.Airborne at about 100mph,no flaps,gear cycled up quickly,flown low over runway and did steep pullup.Climbed to what I would guess 3000-4000 ft AGL,Joe said it is a real climbing machine
Flew NW to where we live and circled house from about 1000' Joe said the airplane cruises nicely at 250mph,burns 60gph and gets along well on present day 100LL av gas.Fuel capacity in each wing tank is 92 gal.,fuseladge tanks of 85 gal. are remove, pylon mounted under wing tanks made for good endurance.Airplane is seldom taken above 12000 ft. as that would require IFR flight plan and it is not IFR equipped.
Turned back to LIncoln,did steep turns,lazy eights,inverted flight not allowed to keep FAA happy.Did flyby over display area and landed 17L,full flaps,touchdown around 85mph.Seemed to be docile on the rollout,Joe said pulling back the power causes the big prop to act as very effective speed brake.
War time empty weight was around 7100 and max. weight around 11000,I would guess you needed everything it had to get airborne off a soft grass runway at 11000lb.
Much respect for the pilots and personnel that kept these things flying,many didn't make it home.
For what it's worth,the 30 min. ride was $2k and was fully booked,kinda pricey but don't think a P51 is cheap to run.Much of it was a donation to keep these machine flying,sure would be sad if they weren't flying.

Attached Images
P51.jpg (16.15 KB, 373 downloads)
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were they once the Confederate Air Force?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bucket list!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Were they once the Confederate Air Force?

Yes. They changed their name due to social media pressure years ago, it's allowed them to retain corporate sponsorships.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome! A friend of mine is a warbird mechanic and he routinely works on a local guys P-51. I have sat in it several times and helped wrench ( actually just hand the tools to the mechanic ) on it some. I have got to start it and been around it a bunch. Its a very expensive toy to own and operate.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Pretty neat. I wish 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for describing your experience! I would love to do that. For our 15th anniversary my Wife wanted a nice tennis bracelet and I wanted an hour in a P-51 in my logbook. She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I bought Her the bracelet. But with growing medical bills and facing a huge unknown I passed on the ride. Glad you were able to do it.

lightman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats and thanks for sharing the story, especially in such detail.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You felt the need?

THE NEED FOR SPEED!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were you able to get pictures of the cockpit?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing and hats off for scratching the itch. Pretty sure it won’t get cheaper and at some point won’t be offered.

Last edited by Farming; 10/11/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big thumbs up from here!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations! Money well spent, I’d say !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This has always been on my to-do list. My gfather worked on the team that put this airplane through its trials when it was a prototype.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Way cool... I would have paid $2K for that ride in a heartbeat! I would have paid even more if I could log it in my logbook.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I could buy Merlin engines for $500 completely rebuilt in a crate in the late 60's there were 100's available.....put one in a 34' Hacker boat built a transmission to run 2 drive shafts boat would do 100 mph and burn 110 gallons per hour......

Remembering back in November 17, 1984 during deer season watching P51 Mustang was doing power dives then buzzing the sod farm fields a couple miles long just feet off the ground near my Grandparents farm....he didn't take into consideration the power lines a mile down the field on his second try hit them and crashed and burst into flames killing the pilot and passenger the plane was spread over 1/4 mile of the field it plowed a hole almost 6' deep for hundreds of yards in the ground.....I have never seen a plane so completely destroyed......the Merlin engine was the biggest piece still had the prop attached with the blades still attached bent back 90 degrees.....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 10/12/21.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
I could buy Merlin engines for $500 completely rebuilt in a crate in the late 60's there were 100's available.....put one in a 34' Hacker boat built a transmission to run 2 drive shafts boat would do 100 mph and burn 110 gallons per hour......

When I was a kid the local newspaper had an aviation writer and once he wrote about P-51's beind sold out of Davis-Monthan AFB for $500-$1500. Some with only ferry time to the airplane graveyard. I decided I wanted one and started saving up coins. Later I called the writer and asked him about them and he said you could maybe buy one but they cost $50 an hour to fly and that was too much money. But, that was real money and was a lot harder to come by than now.

I do remember climbing around on one and was surprised that they had to use 115/145 aviation gasoline.

The Gov't quit selling combat aircraft to civilians when civilians wound up buying them and taking them to other countries where they were used in fighting. The big episode was in Nicaragua, IIRC, between P-51's and Corsairs. That started the increase in restrictions.

Retired cat herder.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Cool!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great post.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.