Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Slavek
I do not see a problem in trying one out. Alibaba probably has good quality units for $60+/-10. You will save a great deal bypassing US companies that market those products here. The only disadvantage I see is use of batteries in them.

Every time I think you couldn't be dumber you prove me wrong.

Chinese used to have bad reputation in manufacture of holo sights, but now based on reviews of SiG and Holosun products this is no longer the case. I have only used dot sight and never a holo sight. Do holo sights not need batteries like certain Trijicon telescopic sights?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not see a problem in trying one out. Alibaba probably has good quality units for $60+/-10. You will save a great deal bypassing US companies that market those products here. The only disadvantage I see is use of batteries in them.

Chinese used to have bad reputation in manufacture of holo sights, but now based on reviews of SiG and Holosun products this is no longer the case. I have only used dot sight and never a holo sight. Do holo sights not need batteries like certain Trijicon telescopic sights?

If you've never used one, maybe refrain from giving advice about them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
In my 507K when the co-witness sights are in alignment the dot is always present

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you've never used one, maybe refrain from giving advice about them.

I used electronic dot sight which should be close enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NH K9
Once an individual gets past the learning curve he’s absolutely correct.
You’re not dependent on technology, assuming you set your gun up correctly. Suppressor sights with the dot and one has the best of both worlds. If the dot goes down, you shoot the same way you have for decades.

George

Couldn't there be momentary confusion as you raise the gun up and there's no dot?

Same as a malfunction. Training > stuff

You're overlooking the fact that training requires stuff, in the form of ammo. And right now, that's a problem that must be weighed by those of us already accustomed to our iron sights. I was all set to begin transitioning to the dot, but don't see it as a priority at this time. My risk assessment tells me it's safer to maintain current skills than to start something new, until ammo is more available. YMMV.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Honestly, I’d wager that most shooters probably can’t take advantage of the increased accuracy potential anyway. People who don’t see a gunman at 15 yards as a threat probably feels that way because he can’t hit at 15 himself.

Aiming with 3.25MOA precision doesn’t help with a 50MOA trigger press

Hit the nail on the head with that statement....

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I literally quit shooting handguns in my early 40's due to aging eyes and inability to see the sites other than a large blur. After a few years of bifocals and then later going to trifocals, I discovered my middle lens works for shooting handguns. Using my middle lens to acquire the sights is pretty natural for me now after a lot of practice but not ideal. Reading glasses with a similar correction work better for shooting at the range, but I'd never be wearing them in a EDC scenario. More recently, I've been putting red dots on as many handguns as I can and really like them. They do require more effort initially learning to acquire the dot/site picture but I'm finding it to be less and less of an issue. Bottom line for me is red dots have brought me back to enjoying shooting handguns again. I probably still acquire the sight picture a little quicker with open sights but am confident that will be less of an issue with more practice. At this point in my life, I have no issues with red dots in an EDC scenario, but then I don't make a living with a handgun as part of my daily tool kit.

Last edited by JGray; 10/05/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
You’re not dependent on technology, assuming you set your gun up correctly. Suppressor sights with the dot and one has the best of both worlds. If the dot goes down, you shoot the same way you have for decades.

George

Couldn't there be momentary confusion as you raise the gun up and there's no dot?

You're overlooking the fact that training requires stuff, in the form of ammo. And right now, that's a problem that must be weighed by those of us already accustomed to our iron sights. I was all set to begin transitioning to the dot, but don't see it as a priority at this time. My risk assessment tells me it's safer to maintain current skills than to start something new, until ammo is more available. YMMV.

Solid point. Although my 22/45 with a Holosun on top would be good for training

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pullit
Been thinking about this and I know there are pro's and con's to it. I took a Red Dot class the other day and at the end of it, I am wondering if I really want to go down that road.
I will say that if I did go down that road, it would take a lot more work on my part to get where I would feel good about carrying with one, and I understand that.

My questions is what do y'all think about it and how many use a red dot on EDC?

My nephew is a cop, and he switched to one on his service gun a couple of years ago. He says he'd never
go back. Personally, I cannot see it. I don't want to learn to become dependent on technology that requires a charged battery.

George

This.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

George

Also a good point.

I'd like to know if it matters more to use a similar pistol to what you carry, or if the sight is the same.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

George

Also a good point.

I'd like to know if it matters more to use a similar pistol to what you carry, or if the sight is the same.

For me it was the fundamentals of the draw/presentation.

Getting good with a dot from the holster translates very well to being better without a dot from the holster.

Once you've got the dot, it's just faster and more accurate than irons from day one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

George

Also a good point.

For me it was the fundamentals of the draw/presentation.

Getting good with a dot from the holster translates very well to being better without a dot from the holster.

Once you've got the dot, it's just faster and more accurate than irons from day one.

I understand that. But what I wonder is if practicing with the dot on one pistol model will translate well to the same dot on another pistol with different geometry.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest benefit for aging eyes is a red dot. I will stick with irons for time being but could see red dots in future for me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had one on my EDC's for several years.

It is MUCH QUICKER to make accurate shots, and anything beyond 20 yards and shooting quickly is much more accurate for me. And, I have 20/15 vision.

It takes a week or two of playing with to become second nature.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another guy here that had to abandon handguns due to failing eyesight. Move ahead 30 yrs, I tried a holo sight on a shotgun and quickly abandoned that as I had to build up the stock too high . I did try one on my bow and it is a perfect fit, love it there. Now for the handgun another situation where no cheek weld is needed..

I bought a Glock 19 to carry while hunting on my MC along the southern border and the red dot will give me enough range to be able to use it to hunt with also.

I bought a Crimson Trace, it will get mounted today.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Update, I just came back from sighting it in. Perfect, I now have a serious 50yrd coyote killer. Love it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erich
Update, I just came back from sighting it in. Perfect, I now have a serious 50yrd coyote killer. Love it.

Niiiiiiiice

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Rationalizing not having to take a long shot is assuming you can predict the nature of the fight. If there is an opportunity to stop an active shooter from killing folks and you are not up to the task that is on you. It takes hard work to become competent and few are willing to make the effort.

mike r

Honestly, I’d wager that most shooters probably can’t take advantage of the increased accuracy potential anyway. People who don’t see a gunman at 15 yards as a threat probably feels that way because he can’t hit at 15 himself.

Aiming with 3.25MOA precision doesn’t help with a 50MOA trigger press

It's all about trigger control.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Texas church shooting where the hero firearms instructor took the bad guy out with a headshot at over 30 feet with a .357 Sig got me to thinking. When I was a young police officer, I could put headshot on target at 75 feet pretty much every time. Now, my aging eyes (61 years old) wont allow anything close to that. With my new P365XL with optic mounted I can hit the head of the target every shot at 50 feet. 75 feet from a solid rest. YMMV

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Mucho good point sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.