Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes?

No?

Not "Savage Mfg".. actual Savage Arms bicycles? Were they a thing??

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This came up not long ago https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...35028/interesting-watch-fob#Post16435028 and this is the only Savage Bicycle reference I have seen over the years.

The tack hammer was in a catalog I would think that iif a bicycles were made that would be cataloged somewhere.

I vote NO

Last edited by Rick99; 10/12/21.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick99
I vote NO

NO.

We've seen a bicycle marked Savage Mfg. Co., whoever that was.

Have not seen anything connected to Savage Arms, Utica, Chicopee, etc.

Refrigerators, washing machines, etc. were all marked Savage Arms Co.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
And savage lawnmowers! smile

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Loggah
And savage lawnmowers! smile

And trucks! Well... truck frames. grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Savage named bicycles I've seen have nothing to do with Savage Arms. Savage Arms did own a patent for a three speed shaft drive bicycle and an 'ornamental bicycle frame' for it from 1945 but I could never find an example of a shaft drive bicycle with the Savage name.

uspto/002378634
uspto.gov/D0142522

Gene
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, from the depths of Fug's vaults comes this from the Thirtieth Annual Report from December 31, 1946.

Now.. did Savage Arms ever put together a production line? Ever make some prototypes? I can't answer that. But a picture of one is something I don't recall being seen here. Looks like it matches the patents Gene references.

Chainless bicycle.. boy, that would have been nice to get those hours back as a kid trying to get the chain back on the bike. grin

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Protos are a requirement for patent?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Automotive type transmission? I bet that was quite a contraption inside that pedal shaft housing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Chainless bicycle.. boy, that would have been nice to get those hours back as a kid trying to get the chain back on the bike. grin
I read reports on a Colombia brand single speed chainless bike from the turn of the century that appears similar and it sounds like having to change a rear tire on those would make you wish it were a chain drive. There also create more friction.

Originally Posted by ctw
I'm not sure of that, I believe at least a working model is needed for most patents. Those listed as design patents apparently are different and I'm not sure exactly what they are, the one linked to above, D0142522 for the frame, states that the description goes with the "accompanying drawing" so it appears it only required a drawing.

Originally Posted by zcm82
Automotive type transmission? I bet that was quite a contraption inside that pedal shaft housing.
It's quite simple, look at the forth patent drawing, it's a large gear with three rows of teeth and a single sliding gear on the shaft to engage them.

Gene
IC B3

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That might be an artist's concept drawing.. but based off of other Savage artwork for catalogs/etc at the time I would guess it's a drawing of a real item. No way to know, unless somebody runs across one, or finds more information on one. Maybe in a bicycle hobbyist magazine of the time.

Looks like there were plenty of attempts to create a chain free bicycle around the turn of the century, and obviously all failed. The chain drive was an established and mature technology for bicycles by WW2, wonder why Savage thought their chain free design would compete? Wonder why they dropped it before it hit the market?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Maybe cost prohibitive to produce, or the market just wasn't there for it yet? It took the US economy a couple of years after the war to really get a full head of steam and completely reverted from a war production economy to domestic use goods. There were some big winners, and big losers in the aftermath.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
A friend of mine had a early POPE bicycle that was shaft driven,around the turn of the century. but i also had a friend who had a STEAM powered bicycle(ROPER) . I guess i must be old. eek It would be pretty cool if savage actually built one. Don

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeneB
Originally Posted by ctw
I'm not sure of that, I believe at least a working model is needed for most patents. Those listed as design patents apparently are different and I'm not sure exactly what they are, the one linked to above, D0142522 for the frame, states that the description goes with the "accompanying drawing" so it appears it only required a drawing.
Doing a quick history check...

*) A design patent is a patent for any article that can be manufactured - as opposed to a utility patent which covers processes, etc. There's now also patents for plants, probably animals, etc..
*) All patents up to 1880 had to have a small model submitted with the patent. it didn't have to work, but it had to show the patented invention.
--) Discontinued in 1880 due to lack of space and fire hazard (many old models were lost in a couple of fires that had broken out in the model storage areas).
*) From 1871 onwards, drawings had to be submitted.

I can't find any mention of working prototypes ever being required, though there were 2 year time limits on patents submitted by foreign nationals in regards to the patents being used or becoming voided. Another possible reason that Arthur might have assigned his early patents over to others even before he was employed by a company. They may have bankrolled him in exchange for ownership of his patents, or it was a workaround to avoid the 2 year limitation.

So drawings had to be submitted, but prototypes didn't have to exist. It doesn't mean that prototypes couldn't exist.. obviously Savage did build prototypes of many (most?) of their patents.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.