Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The money I’ve spent on food saver and a cabelas vac sealer I could have bought a chamber vacuum long ago.

Chamber vacuum is the way to go in my opinion

CK
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you buy by the 1000 it’s about 9 cents for a 5 mil 8x12 and 6 cents for a 4 mil. Well worth it in my opinion.

I’ve often said that foodsaver is responsible for more wasted fish than the trawl fleet. Does Ok on red meat.

Chinese chamber sealer machines are ok. The Busch pump machines are the ones you want but cost 4-8k.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Why is it bad for fishies?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Few people realize that thawing fish in its packaging presents a high risk for botulism.

Clostridium botulinum is an anaerobic bacteria that forms spores that allow it to thrive in low-oxygen environments—like the ones created by vacuum-sealed packages. When the right conditions are present, the spore can produce a deadly toxin. That toxin causes botulism, a life-threatening disease that attacks the nervous system.

The warmer the temperature, the quicker the toxin forms. And when temperatures rise above 38 degrees Fahrenheit—i.e., the moment you remove it from the refrigerator—the risk for botulism increases greatly.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What's he got a botulism sniffing dog or something?

Kinda like a seizure dog?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A person should really have a chamber vac machine.

I'm on the verge of leaping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

Few people realize that thawing fish in its packaging presents a high risk for botulism.

Clostridium botulinum is an anaerobic bacteria that forms spores that allow it to thrive in low-oxygen environments—like the ones created by vacuum-sealed packages. When the right conditions are present, the spore can produce a deadly toxin. That toxin causes botulism, a life-threatening disease that attacks the nervous system.

The warmer the temperature, the quicker the toxin forms. And when temperatures rise above 38 degrees Fahrenheit—i.e., the moment you remove it from the refrigerator—the risk for botulism increases greatly.

There are a host of bacteria present in/on fish that are killed in the cooking process, clostridium botulinum being one of them.

Takes a minimum of 212 degrees to kill the clostridium botulinum spore.

Cook your fish....enjoy.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Jeff, you cook your fish to that high a temp? Also, i dont think its the spores that are toxic. Isnt it the toxins produced after the spores become active?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idunno, I'm not a quality control type, minimum cooking temps probably would be more correct.

I have been schooled on the machinery that cuts and vacuum packs fish at high rates if speed.

When you have to get rid of a half million pounds of fish a day and the order is 6 oz portions all vacuum sealed ya have to move really fast.

QC was all over the machinery, bacteria was not a issue with intended to be cooked products.

The more fun stuff is the living creatures present in our food.
When freezing fish, the parasites migrate up.
It's best to freeze it skin up if you want to hide the parasites from QC inspections.

I messed with this kinda stuff. Can't find a good video of the high speed vac-paks that these robotics were feeding.
I installed these and would get the call if they weren't running smooth, or if one of those little portions weighed a gram or two over 6. Oz.

Just cook your fish...the entire world eats outta vac-paks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I mostly use quart and pint.

Mostly for breaking down bulk meat purchases, deer meat and veggies from the garden.

There is an eBay seller. Forget the name. BagsUSA or VacUSA , something similar.

Made in USA bags and are reasonable priced when bought in quantity.

Just because they are sold in the US doesn't mean they are made here. I don't think any vacuum bags are made in the states.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I dunno. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

I just go by what they say....

Quart Vacuum Sealer Bags:

Save Money … without having to buy imports!
Thicker than name brands
Spacious 8” x 12” size for plenty of sealing room
USA Made: Free of BPA and other toxins
For universal use in Foodsaver and similar vacuum-sealers

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Fish doesn’t keep very long when frozen. Probably 1/3 life before it starts tasting like fish. A commercial machine makes some good product.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

Mostly for breaking down bulk meat purchases, deer meat and veggies from the garden.

There is an eBay seller. Forget the name. BagsUSA or VacUSA , something similar.

Just because they are sold in the US doesn't mean they are made here. I don't think any vacuum bags are made in the states.

Did you go to the site he linked?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cookie buys rolls that are about 8 and maybe 10 inches wide. Cut to desired lengths.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

Did you go to the site he linked?

I stand corrected.
Maybe they're made in the US by illegal Chinese immigrants?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RJL53

The trick to sealing anything with moisture is to put it in the freezer until the moisture solidifies then take it out and seal the bag. Works every time.

This^^

Pre-freeze any kind of meat or fish for a couple of hours and it'll seal just fine. Don't pre-freeze and it'll suck moisture into the seal and the seal will eventually fail.

I like the bags instead of the rolls. For some reason the roll stuff never seems to seal well, decent bags rarely fail if you follow the pre-freeze ritual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Instead of pre-freezing meat, I use a twist tie gallon vegetable type bag, and put the meat in it, roll it for ground meat or fold it over for steak type stuff, and do not tie the top. Place the open end toward the end of the closed seal bag and seal it. Ground meat I put into 1 1/2 pound rolls and put more than one to the bag. When using I take one out and reseal. Venison, I keep the muscles in large chunks and do the same. I like the rolls better than pre cut bags. I run into meat in the freezer that is several years old that is still fine. Those twist tie bags are cheap, and make life a lot easier. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twist ties and storage bags and what? I’m not really following this.

Oh well doesnt matter. Squanto has me on ignore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy rolls. 8,11,14. I use the 8s mostly. I prefreeze stews and liquids before sealing. I never prefroze meat , fish or poultry. Never have had a issue on a seal failing in my 20 years of using vac sealers but theres always this year.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,058 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.