Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had an UL in .30-06, I tried everything. Bedded, swapped stocks, swapped scopes, different powders, bullets, weights, primers, seating depths, you name it. Everything but recrowning. I loved that rifle but it just wouldn't shoot.

[Linked Image]

It was fine inside of 150 yards but I started hunting open country so I sold it and bought a Tikka. Almost as light, half the price, much more accurate.

My backup is a Vanguard Back Country, the original stainless model. It's a shooter, too.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B6

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had a Euromark in 7mm Weatherby years ago that didn't shoot all that great, but the three MkV's I have now (two Ultralights in 270 Wby and an old Fibermark in .340) shoot beautifully.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up with weatherby rifles, my dad loves them. I hunted with them for years and years without ever knowing anything about accuracy, groups etc, etc.

I don't remember any of them giving us any trouble.

Right now I just have a few mkv sporters, one in 300wby and one in 340wby, both are very accurate. If I were to buy another I'd get that ultra lightweight in 300wby with tha 28" barrel just because it's cool.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Wby Mk. V .257 Wby. is not new, being one of the early ones when Weatherby began making the Fibermark model- but it is a shooter, for sure. Really likes the Barnes TTSX and RL22, and shoots sub-MOA groups consistently. It now wears a McMillan Edge stock, which shaved a few ounces off the weight and improved the looks.
[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I grew up with weatherby rifles, my dad loves them. I hunted with them for years and years without ever knowing anything about accuracy, groups etc, etc.

I don't remember any of them giving us any trouble.

Right now I just have a few mkv sporters, one in 300wby and one in 340wby, both are very accurate. If I were to buy another I'd get that ultra lightweight in 300wby with tha 28" barrel just because it's cool.

"Cool" is the new 6.5-.300. If i was getting a new 9 lug that would be IT!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Years ago if I shot 20 continuous rounds into a 1 1/2”(even 2”)group at a 100 yards with a deluxe factory hunting rifle, I was satisfied it would be good enough for 300 to 400 yard shots from a cold bore (if sighted in). But nowadays standards are higher for more precision. Sub moa , even sub half moa is all the rage. It has put a damper on many older rifles some of us used to appreciate. Considering I was never overly particular other than having a relatively well made good looking deluxe rifle that shot decent groups, I’m changing. Even I want to shoot clovers most of the time. So it’s custom rifles and reloading, unless your luck of the draw on a factory works out well. It is what it is. Besides, what used to be long range is now mid range. The further out you go, the more precise your gun may need to be.

Last edited by Vinootz; 10/12/21. Reason: Change
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No issues with either of my two. Deluxe in 300 wby and Accumark in 270 wby. Been a while since I shot either. Fit and finish are excellent. Not sure why I own them but they are in the safe.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Depends on the load of course but the one bought six months ago is good. 130 grainers with 7828 powder shoot one inch at two hundred yards. The 150 with re22 shoot inch and quarter at two yards. Not bench rest but the 150 grain average 3295 FPS. Edk

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Weatherby Mark V would bey next to last pick for accuracy..right above Kimber...

I had a couple of older Japanese Mark Vs that didn't shoot great. Have had several of the newer American guns, including Ultralights, and they've all shot great. Same with Kimber. I've had 8-10 and all but one was consistently 3/4" or better with numerous loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by goodshot
I had a MKV .280 Remington that shot very well. I kick myself for selling it. Stainless with the 6 lug action. It shot Hornady Light Magnum(pre Superperformace) which had the 139 grain BTSP innerlock at 3100 fps. It consistently shot 3 holes touching with that load. Certainly as good or better than any rifle I have ever had including several customs. I liked the bolt lift etc. Decent trigger as well. As many things on this forum.....many turn there nose up at Weatherby. Fascinating bunch of folks here. Like I said earlier should have never let it go. I think that version had a kreiger criterion barrel. I can't speak for any oaths but that was a keeper.

Yeah many bring out decades old tales of woe and cite the same tired examples when it comes to their experience with a Weatherby, I lost count of how many i had/have and only 2 had to be sent back.

I think this must be basic human nature. My Dad is still convinced all Toyota cars are terrible because he rented one on a business trip in the '70's and it had a problem with the windshield wipers.

Many guys have similar opinions of rifles based on products built 40+ years ago.

First impressions are very long lasting.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AMRA
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have had only positive experiences with the exception of a 1995 made Saco Stainless MK V that I bought from someone on the fire and it was totally misrepresented. My Jap made 270wby shoots very consistently

How bad was the Saco Stainless MK V ?
Was it the one in 270 Win. that was for sale here
years ago?

I have a Saco Stainless MK V in 270 wby that my Wife sent in
to the Wby Custom shop to be made into their Outfitter model
New barrel,stock,action blue-printed,lugslapped the works!
She spent more on it than I could have bought a Brand New NULA
from Mel for!
Wby Custom Shop sent me Factory Test fire targets back with my
rifle when it was done 1/2 in. groups 2 different factory loads.

No it is a 270 WBY. The Chamber was undersized and it was extremely hard to close the bolt on factory ammo. Previous owner attempted to remove the firing pin and left it adjusted wrong with no gas check ball. I found it out at the range after it would not fire a round. I took it apart and found the problem and I had to buy gas check balls from Wby at 5 bucks a shot. Previous owner said it shot under an inch. grin

I can believe that, current MkV is a 270 fluted barrel all stainless made in Maine. TT trigger and a new stock from weatherby and it is a hammer. I have a German 257 on the way, should get it this weekend.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had a MKV 270 Wby for around 10 years - from the Minnesota factory. It shoots fine - sub-MOA consistently. Kills stuff, too...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have 4, a 240, a 7mm Wby, a 338 and a 300 I bought a few weeks ago. The 240 usually goes 1/2 -3/4”. The 7 Wby goes 3/4-1”. The 338 took a good bit of tweaking with loads but it’s good for 1 1/4” and better on occasion. I haven’t shot the 300 yet ‘cause it’s been so warm and/or raining.

With the exception of the 338, they all have the slim 24” contour. The 338 is 24” but seems to have the contour that 26” tubes usually have.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGray
I've had a MKV 270 Wby for around 10 years - from the Minnesota factory. It shoots fine - sub-MOA consistently. Kills stuff, too...

I like that stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You people posting ACTUAL pictures and experiences with Weatherbys should stop. You're making the hyperbole crowd nervous...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only have 2 Mark V’s, both Ultra Lights. 300 Win. Magnum and a 22-250. I do not reload and only use factory loads, Hornady and Federal Premium. Both shoot lights out, I zero at 200 yards, I use good Scopes. I have never been a 1 inch group or better at various distance’s kind of shooter. I’m a hunter, after a gun is sighted in I’m done with the range. Weatherby’s give me the confidence I need at longer distances which is key to me, there may be other good rifles you can buy but to me a Weatherby Mark V is cream of the crop. I respect the people that cover the various bullets and loads at various distances, I just want a great shooting gun that does what I bought it to do, Mark V’s do that for me very well and the weight is nice when hunting up high.
Good luck with your search Justin, Browning’s are great at a lower price point as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Fast forward to 2020 I picked up a MKV weathermark in a 6.5 rpm! 24” criterion barrel, trigger tech trigger b &c stock and cerakote for $1339.00. It shoots120 nbt, 130 stgk, 143 eldx right at 1/2” for 3 shots. Trigger tech is much better than older MKV trigger. The 6 lug action is tight and smooth I like but the 54 degree lift.some don’t like B&C stocks but I’m a fan. I’ve only had 2 MKV s over the years but I like them .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.