Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone overthinks this, every time.

300gr Nosler Partitions hammer buffalo.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
But, hunters generally don't buck their PH's recommendations, even though they may know better.

Some here have said, it's your hunt, you dictate. That's easier said than done, especially with a first time hunter.

As has been rehashed numerous times here, PH's are not always gun guys, often know less technical info about ordinance than their client.

I've not been over there, no plans to go. But, good friends have been. And, I've loaded PG and DG ammo..

DF

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
But, hunters generally don't buck their PH's recommendations, even though they may know better.

Some here have said, it's your hunt, you dictate. That's easier said than done, especially with a first time hunter.

As has been rehashed numerous times here, PH's are not always gun guys, often know less technical info about ordinance than their client.

I've not been over there, no plans to go. But, good friends have been. And, I've loaded PG and DG ammo..

DF

As I said earlier, we all have different personalities. I would not want to start off a several day hunt with a knock down argument with my PH. As long as I think what he wants me to do will work, I’ll humor him. If he wants something different than what I would choose, I’m most likely to think that it is overkill. It’s no big deal to me to load 300 grain instead of 270 grain bullets. I worked up accurate loads for 300 grain TSXs and A-Frames several years ago. The issue with solids in the magazine is trickier because I think an expanding solid will do the job. But I ought to be able to load a solid to minute of Buffalo. I know things can happen, but I believe I have the discipline to not take a first shot unless it looks right. I’ve never hunted Buffalo, but I have hunted lots of things on four continents.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

With the 300 TSX you might shoot thru one and wound another. Then the rodeo begins plus a few thousand dollars.
I have only killed 8 with a single 270 TSX each.

Last edited by RinB; 10/11/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RinB

With the 300 TSX you might shoot thru one and wound another. Then the rodeo begins plus a few thousand dollars.

I hear ya!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yeah, if one goes on a hunt with a non compromising attitude about bullets, etc. and something goes a bit wrong, I'd think that wouldn't be a good scenario for the client to have much of an argument. I wouldn't want to be in that position.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yeah, if one goes on a hunt with a non compromising attitude about bullets, etc. and something goes a bit wrong, I'd think that wouldn't be a good scenario for the client to have much of an argument. I wouldn't want to be in that position.

DF

There would be no argument.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly. You are hiring the PH, and while it's good to get along, they're your employee.

As some have stated (and I have found while hunting with a couple dozen PHs), they're not always very knowledgeable about bullet performance.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It’s my hunt, I’m paying the bill. I’ll use what bullets I want to use, end of story. Solids are not needed at all for Buffalo these days, plenty of better choices for a client hunter. Save them for elephant or hippo. I’ve never had a PH tell me what bullets or calibers I should use.

Last edited by John55; 10/12/21.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by John55
It’s my hunt, I’m paying the bill. I’ll use what bullets I want to use, end of story. Solids are not needed at all for Buffalo these days, plenty of better choices for a client hunter. Save them for elephant or hippo. I’ve never had a PH tell me what bullets or calibers I should use.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Exactly. You are hiring the PH, and while it's good to get along, they're your employee.

As some have stated (and I have found while hunting with a couple dozen PHs), they're not always very knowledgeable about bullet performance.

These 2 post sum up my sentiments perfectly

Last edited by jwp475; 10/13/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ph asks what bullet are you using. You say 300 gr SAF. He smiles, chit dies, he’s seen this movie before. It’s pretty simple . MAGA

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As long as you are using TSX or A-Frames, or maybe Northfork Softs, you don't need solids. Every year, more PHs figure this out.

I've whacked more than a few buff with 270 and 300 grain A-Frames. I wouldn't want to live off any difference.

Pick whichever you can get and shoot best in your rifle. Shoot up a bunch of Hornadys in practice.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I went to a lot of trouble and expense (his dime), getting my good bud set up for an upcoming DG hunt. Getting solids (Swift Breakaway) set up with POI to match NPT's and SAF's took some doing. His South Africa PH insisted on softs and solids, so that's what we did. .416 Rem. not .375, but the concept is the same.

Another good bud killed a nice Buff in Zim, using a .416 Rigby and a 400 TSX. One bullet, one buff. Seems in Zim, the PH consensus appears to be more along the lines of the TSX, not necessarily softs and solids. In South Africa, seems they're more into softs and solids.

Could this be a regional thing? I've seen reports of other Zim PH's recommending TSX's. Ya reckon area PH's compare notes and go with the consensus? Are some areas more "progressive" than others. I hate to use that word, but it is what it is. Any comments or observations?

DF

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good question.

I’m getting a lot of advice beyond recommendations for solid bullets. I am “listening” to all of that. Perhaps the PH is like my employee and should just do what I want. When I supervised people I almost never issued “orders.” I had a successful career, rising to a senior executive position in a very large organization, and have had a long and happy life using listening, negotiation, and compromise rather than issuing ultimatums.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I hunted Zim the TSXs weren’t on the market. Later safaris in Tanzania the PHs loved TSXs and were using them in their rifles for everything but elephant. I can tell you a 450gr TSX shot from a 450 Dakota is sudden death on buffalo. Unless it’s a herd situation where a TSX would pass thru the target animal and wound another behind it, I’d use the TSX every time. For the herd shot a Swift or NF soft would be my choice. A few years back a good friend hunted Zim for buffalo and plains game. He used a 375 with NPTs and his 450 Dakota loaded with TSXs. When he got the chance on buffalo it was in a small group so he shot with the 375. Made a good hit but as usual the bull took off with the others. A quick run and they caught up to it lagging behind so the 450 was put into action. One shot and the buffalo hit the dirt. PH was impressed!

Last edited by John55; 10/13/21.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Whatever on I can find two boxes of before July....

I would like Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer or Monalithic or Barnes Solids.

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Termin8r

I will be shooting 300 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws but want a handful solids for backup. Will practice with 1 1/2 boxes and take 10 solids with me.

I have plenty of 300gr Barnes Banded Solids. PM me if you want

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Termin8r

I have plenty of 300gr Barnes Banded Solids. PM me if you want

I had to rely on Fire contributors when I was putting together loads for my bud. Some of these components were not to be found. One box of bullets was the last one Graf and sons had. Good luck. And, you may want to get some help from your friends.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is a copper clad steel jacketed 300 grain bullet that would be my choice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010829094?pid=595477

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
here is a copper clad steel jacketed 300 grain bullet that would be my choice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010829094?pid=595477

Good to know. Thank you

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
606 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.