Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
OP Offline
H
Building a rifle to take out west. Looking for suggestions on glass.

GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best that you can afford.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I put one of the new Trijicon 3-18's on my main rifle (7mm Mashburn Super) and couldn't be happier. Amazing glass, adjustments are on point, illumination is real nice and the reticle is excellent for shooting.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How far are you expecting to shoot? For thee average Joe a 3X9 SWFA is had to beat.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
H
OP Offline
H
I’ve heard some great things about Trijicon. Especially in low light conditions.

IC B2

H
OP Offline
H
Don’t have a specific distance in mind. Want something that will be comfortable making a shot 350-400+

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
bushnell lhrs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
How far are you expecting to shoot? For thee average Joe a 3X9 SWFA is had to beat.

I'm in this camp ^

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what I choose:
LEUPOLD VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 (30mm) Duplex Reticle
https://www.bearbasin.net/product-p/leu171714.htm

H
OP Offline
H
That is a good deal too! Have been a fan of Leupold as well. Have a 3x9x40 and it runs with the best of em

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out to 400+ yards a good 3-9 , 2.5 - 10 , or 4-12 in any decent scope will do nicely... Lots of great suggestions above, but I would look at some of the Athlon scopes Doug has on his site.... I would recommend the SWFA in a second but it seems they never have anything in stock any more... hopefully that will change soon when the supply chain gets fixed.... which may never happen while Biden is in office...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I put one of the new Trijicon 3-18's on my main rifle (7mm Mashburn Super) and couldn't be happier. Amazing glass, adjustments are on point, illumination is real nice and the reticle is excellent for shooting.

Scotty, how much does that one weigh and is it a FFP or SFP scope? 3-18 is a great power range. Very versatile for sure. I imagine it would work great for the OP's 400+ yard requirement, as long as it tracks well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m already out west, and I usually shoot 350 yards plus. My hunting rifles wear Leupold VX-2 4-12 CDS scopes.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Bingo. Swfa 3-9x42 HD super chicken. Easy button.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Huckabuck32

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is what I use for 2 of my western rifles. The 28 Nosler which has insane reach has a Nightforce NX8 2.4-20 but it's heavy.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/13/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

I'm in this camp ^

I have the SWFA but I prefer the Trijicon Credo 3-9. I like locking or capped turrets on a hunting rifle. Trijicon Mil-Square is comparable to the SWFA Mil-quad but it's illuminated and second focal plane. They are similar price points and in my opinion the SWFA and Trijicon Credo are the best at that price point.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-credo-3-9x40-riflescope

Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Scotty, how much does that one weigh and is it a FFP or SFP scope? 3-18 is a great power range. Very versatile for sure. I imagine it would work great for the OP's 400+ yard requirement, as long as it tracks well.

I believe mine weighed 23 ounces on my scale BSA, without the battery in it. It is a FFP, easy to set up zero stop and dials like it has eyes so far.

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

I'm in this camp ^

I have the SWFA but I prefer the Trijicon Credo 3-9. I like locking or capped turrets on a hunting rifle. Trijicon Mil-Square is comparable to the SWFA Mil-quad but it's illuminated and second focal plane. They are similar price points and in my opinion the SWFA and Trijicon Credo are the best at that price point.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-credo-3-9x40-riflescope

That FFP Credo 2-10 looks danged nice as well. I may spring from one of them for my 300 RUM.

Love the SS 3x9 as well and just put my last one on a PRC, great scopes for my use, but they're getting tougher to grab these days. So far not many have found the Trijicon's, so they're available and a little less money than the NF 2.5x10 NXS's

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nightforce in the 4-16 power range

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard to recommend a scope without knowing the build specifics…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd go with a quality 3-9x40 . I've repeatedly read it's the most popular scope, both east and west.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hard to beat the ziess v-4s for the money

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Nestucca

What does the store owner in Beaver use? He was telling me about shooting eggs at 500 yards with his 7mm practical.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Hard to recommend a scope without knowing the build specifics…

I agree. Doesn’t make sense to put a yard of scope on a light rifle or a little fixed 4x on a Sendero. It would be good to know what kind of rifle.

I have lived and hunted western states my whole life. Deer, elk, etc. I’m a competent, but not exceptional marksman in the field. For someone like me, it doesn’t make sense to have a “specialized” rifle to shoot out to 300-400 yards. I use fairly standard bolt actions with modest scopes in the 2.5-8x to 3.5-10x. I’ve actually been using a lot of fixed 6x scopes lately. Just plain reticles and fairly pedestrian calibers.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

What does the store owner in Beaver use? He was telling me about shooting eggs at 500 yards with his 7mm practical.

He shoots Leupolds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a Western rifle, and a new scope, I'd be inclined to go with a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 Forceplex. Meebe a Tract Toric.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/17/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’d go 14-20x as your top magnification. I have several 4.5-14x, 3-15x, 4-20x. Functionally, they’re all useful. I think a 3-9 will leave you wanting. For elk, it would probably work. For coues at 500+, a 9x top end will hurt you.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I live out here and everyone I know uses a 3x9 of some breed. Mine is a Bushnell.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Huckabuck32

I have very pleased with Tract Toric line of scopes. I have 3X15X50, 2X10X42, and one of their rimfire scopes. They are high quality scopes at an amazing price

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A 3x9 is more than sufficient - a anything from 2-7 will work well. personally I would trade every one of my variables for straight 6x40.

if i knew then what I know now.........

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las
A 3x9 is more than sufficient - a anything from 2-7 will work well. personally I would trade every one of my variables for straight 6x40.

if i knew then what I know now.........

For YOU it may be "sufficient".

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

He shoots Leupolds

I thought so. Upper end VX6 and the HD's If I remember correctly. I won't hold that against him though...

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
He does well with them BSA. I’m not knocking the Leupolds I’ve just had very good luck with Ziess products and as of now I have no reason to change. His practicals really shoot well by the way.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I find that mirage can play heck with anything over 10-12x. I too prefer 2x8, 3x9, 3.5x10, 2x7 even 1.5x5 (Leupold) I have killed just a few with scope up on 8X or higher. Mostly from 1-5 power. I wish they still made 4x and 6x scopes that are smaller in size, etc.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
For 350-400 yards, any solid 2.5x8/3x9/3.5x10 will suffice, particularly if you sight in for maximum point blank range (on my western rifles, this equates to 2.5 to 3.5” high at 100 yds). This will allow you to hold center chest and get a vitals hit from 300-375 yds depending on round/ ballistics. As long as the scopes will hold zero, they are good to go.

For set and forget rifles sighted in this way I’m using Swarovski Z3, Z5, Leupold VX3, Vari-x-III and Nikon Monarch glass. Please note I view these as only good for set and forget. Of these, the the Monarchs have been the most predictable/repeatable. Of these, my favorite have been an early Z3 and the Z5 (truly stunning optics). Having said that, I doubt I’ll purchase another Swarovski rifle scope.

I also sight my dialing capable scopes in this way so I can dial for extended range. Of those, I’m presently using a Tract ToricS(SCP), a SWFA SS(FFP), Zeiss DL(SFP) and a LRHSi(FFP). Of these, the LRHSI is the stand out. Sadly, they no longer make these.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure why a rifle scope from the east wouldn't work out west. Animals can be killed at bayonet range and anything beyond. I don't like a heavy scope so I put Leupold 2-7's on most of my rifles. Good out to 500 yards, no problem. My old man has been using the same Weaver 2.5X since the 70's and never has an empty freezer.
I guess like others have said, what type of rifle you are building will make a difference. Also depends if you are going hunting or shooting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most guys think "Going out west, I need a 24x scope".

I could hunt with a 6x and not feel too bad. 2.5-8 is about ideal.

LOL
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2.5-10 or 3-15
You really don’t need more than 10x for hunting normal ranges. You ever get into thick, you’ll appreciate the low end wide field of view.
The bigger the scope the heavier it is. You going to be in side b side all day or on foot?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's refreshing to read so much (in my opinion) GOOD advice on this thread. Something tells me that on some other forums you'd hear guys pushing for a lot more magnification and weight. And complexity. Maybe even batteries.
Consider that 8X makes a buck at 600 yards look like he's at 75. That kind of puts the power requirement in perspective. Shooting animals is a lot different than punching paper for the tiniest groups, but 8X will still support very accurate load development at the range.
And Out West is a real big place, with lots of different terrain and cover, so don't overlook the low end of your magnification range in your choice. You can go from thick heavy dark timber to a cross-canyon shot in a few minutes walk.
Good luck with your search!

Rex

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with Brad and others, a little more info about the rifle and what you'll be hunting would be nice. Out west is a big place with varied conditions from dark timber to wide open plains. What animals will you target?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by super T
I agree with Brad and others, a little more info about the rifle and what you'll be hunting would be nice. Out west is a big place with varied conditions from dark timber to wide open plains. What animals will you target?

A few years back I was looking for a reasonably light scope that would cover all those bases for my 3 go to hunting rifles.
I picked up 3 Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 scopes with the Firedot Duplex Reticle.
They are working out great for me, this year I got my antelope at 438 yards and my elk at 650, although I can also end up at close range in the mentioned dark timber.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With a lack of info these are some examples: A new bean field rifle such as a 26" 6.5 PRC could carry a 3-10x40mm or 4-14x44mm scope, a new field toting rifle would be 20" or 22" barreled 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem or 308 Win with a fixed 4x32mm or 6x36mm or a 2-8x36mm variable or a 3-9x40mm variable, a bear buster in heavy timber would be a 22" 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 Mauser with a fixed 2.5x20mm, or 3x 28mm or a 4x32mm.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would go as light as possible unless it is a flat land only rifle or a heavy build. More weight and more X's are hard to carry and harder to hold if you are winded. I have never felt handicapped by a 6x scope for typical hunting ranges. I have cranked scopes up to 9-10x but rarely when hunting. 10x + pretty much only for targets.I grew uo with fixed four X's and then 2-7x's so this predisposed me to stick with what works for me. Last couple of scopes were Meopta Meo Stars and so far so good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a western hunter, but shoot the same ranges here in the east as I would imagine I would in the west.

Ive used about all the popular scopes, besides Nightforce and S&B.

Anymore it’s real simple for me. If I’m going to be dialing, I buy Bushnell LRHS/TS. If not, either Burris FFII 3-9 or 4.5-14.

Still have a few Leupolds and SWFA on rifles, and will buy V16s when I see a good deal. But the Bushnell or Burris have and will do all I need from a scope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.