Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I bowed out of it for about 15 years but have decided to dust off some rods and start fishing again. There must be 10 million different fly lines now, some costing close to $150 dollars. Has catching a fish 40 feet away really become that expensive and specific?

I can't believe the Cortland 444 is $60 now either. I know things have increase with time, but it's daunting these days. You also can hardly find a reel that doesn't look like a set of rims on the southside of Chicago. Very weird times.

Last edited by LongSpurHunter; 10/01/21.
GB2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
LSH, you took the words right out of my mouth exactly! I've gotten back into it in last 3 years, and it about made my head spin considering which? I did go for a Orvis Hydros Superfi e 4wt, because I thought it would be perfect for my need, and it has been. But for the most, I still have used a new SA Air Cel 6wt on my Smallue rod about 3 years ago, $29, it's everything I needed for that! The Internet has sold stuff beyond compare, so they just keepexpanding. Used to it was by word of mouth or fly-fishing magazines, people didn't bite just anything!
And I said same thing about the reels, perfect description. I still use my old Plueger Medalist on my smallmouth rod. The new Orvis Battenkill Click & Pawl I got last year, is the ultimate small stream trout reel, I'm loving mine!

Last edited by Windknot; 10/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fly fishing, post "the movie" took on this mythical concept vice simply being the way many of us have fished for years. It then became another sport that the rich and famous decided they had to participate in and companies saw all that potential income and suddenly everything went up.

Despite Medalist, Lampson, or even Orvis single action reels being fine for what 90+ % of us fish suddenly the complexity and cost of the "must have" gear began to go up. I have nice stuff but for the most part it was all bought 30+ years ago. At the same time, I'm really thankful for breathable waders and better wading boots. The tippet material of today is a far cry better than back in the day and more expensive! Fly lines today are unbelievably expensive but they are so much better than what we had before as well and they last much longer. I think all of mine are at least a decade old.

I was up in NH in July fishing and I realized that much of my stuff is Orvis and it made me think "have I become that which I mock" but then I looked at the stains and nicks and repairs on my rod, reel and my faded vest and figured I had the mileage on it to still look bemused at the streamside fashion plates.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You're right Pugs. I've been in and out of it since 1969. A River Ran Through It and has washed it away! I'm not against new that's for sure, but I like making my decisions about my equipment, then stick with it when I find what works. Hard to decide nowadays tho. I'll sure agree about leader materials, man they're great! I use glass rods still occasionally but these new rods are outstanding! But I still got a couple that I scrub the cork with toothpaste and brush, hard to beat. I. Just getting to old & tired to fish em all!

Last edited by Windknot; 10/04/21.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I decided to compensate by purchasing a old Martin 63 tuna can reel

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Truly old school. The only shortfall IIRC was they were so small they couldn't take a full length line but maybe they came in different sizes than the one I had.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Truly old school. The only shortfall IIRC was they were so small they couldn't take a full length line but maybe they came in different sizes than the one I had.

Just the opposite really. They will easily handle a WF6 line with 50 yards or so of 20 pound backing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool - the one I had would only take a short line and no backing.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pugs
cool - the one I had would only take a short line and no backing.

I think all of the tuna can Martins take the same amount of line. Perhaps you are thinking of something else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too re-dipped my toe in the fly fishing water this year after a long hiatus. Similarly to other's observations I was mildly shocked at how much has changed and gotten more expensive.

I feared for my fly lines, some of which are now 30 years old. It turns out they're still good, which is a relief because I would need to rob a bank to replace the dozen or so lines I have. I did splurge for a new triangle taper to go onto a new to me Ballan reel and a new bamboo rod. (Yeah the old "gotta have it" attitude reawakened along with a renewed interest in fly fishing. Thanks, Pugs....)

Advances in rod technology? I suppose, but my bamboo stuff is the equal of any new bamboo stuff being made today. There's other rod making materials?

I will acquiesce to improvements in leader/tippet material. I just wish this new stuff didn't require living on pork&beans for a month to allow building all new leaders.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was recently cleaning out my Mom's house... found the receipt for my Pflueger Medalist reel from 1974... though not $300, it'll still catch fish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Neat! Still have a couple of those and have them lined up for steelhead fishing. Not the best implement for the job, but they're like old friends one simply cannot dispose off. Still feels like an accomplishment when they're successful and remind me as well of days where I had to get by as inexpensively as possible.

I'd probably get laughed at if I put that on one of my $800 Spey rods and hauled it to a clave.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/10/21.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only ones who will laugh will be the uninformed ones.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I still use occasionally a Medalist Rim Control I bought new in aprox 1990. It still in 98% condition, I don't know why? I have a Scientific Anglers Mastery Series made by Hardy I got also in the 90's, still works fine but has been through it. I had to straighten the spool 2 years ago I bent from a bad fall, would hardly even turn. I sure wish I had any of a number of my old Garcia Conlon's rods, 3* and 5* from the 70's. Great flyrods! 5, 6, n 7wts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started fly fishing, tying my own flies, and building and re-building rods back in the early '60s when I was in high school. That was my big thing to do outdoors back then. Through the years other things became a higher priority to the point that I'd only go fishing once or twice in a year. In the last 20 years I've somewhat rekindled my interest in fly fishing. My GF's family lived near the St Croix rod factory in Park Falls, WI, so several times when we went back there to visit I'd stop by the factory and usually come out with one of their factory 2nd or cheaper fly rods. I'd then match those rods with a Cabela's Prestige fly reel and line. But I'd still only go fly fishing a couple of times a year.

Then last month I went on a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska. It was a two week hunt and I shot my bear on the first day, so my guide suggested that we go spend a week at his cabin about 200 miles north of Anchorage. We stopped in the Cabela's in Anchorage to get my fishing license, and looking around the store I saw a brown bear mount that I liked. That mount happened to be by the fishing department, so as we wandered through there we saw some 3 wt 7 1/2' fly rods with reels, line and backing for $79. We both left the store with one.

There was a creek that ran by my guide's cabin that was full of grayling up to about 13". I "borrowed" a about size 12 black dry fly from Bob and immediately started catching those little graylings. I remembered from my high school days that my record for the most fish caught on the same fly was 36. My first day fishing in that Alaskan creek I surpassed my 36 fish on the same fly record and when I was trying to unhook fish number 52 it flopped out of my hand and broke the fly off. I then got another fly from Bob and caught another 20 or so fish that day and another 50 or so fish on it the next day.

Bob also told me that the river by where we were bear hunting had salmon in it before I got there, and had a good resident population of 5# plus Arctic Char and Grayling up to 2# or more. I have rekindled my desire to go fishing. I just might have to go back to Alaska for a moose and some of those large Char and Graylings.

When I got home I dug out all of my old fly tying "stuff" and I went to two local sporting goods stores and bought about $40 worth of new fly tying stuff. My 11' reloading bench is now covered from one side to the other with all kinds of fly tying materials and I have filled one box with #12 dry flies and nymphs and another half box with larger streamers and woolly buggers.

Fall is a great time to fly fish in Montana, but in the last 2 days Mother Nature has covered SW Montana with a foot or more white stuff.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Things got out of hand shortly after I developed my own technique I called “shadow casting”. I showed it to Redford and BAM, everyone wanted to fly fish.

In all seriousness, things can be as complicated/expensive or simple/affordable as you make them. I was never very good at fly fishing but I had a lot of fun trying. If you think fly fishing has gotten expensive, take up largemouth bass fishing. If you think that’s bad, try offshore fishing…

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My first good rod was a Fenwick Fenglass 7.5' rod with #6 line.. I still have it and a host of other Fenglass rods.. They are still my first choice for fly fishing.. I have had Fenwick, Scott, Orvis, & a host of other rods made from newer materials.. I have stored them in my attic, for what I do those old rods work fine.. My biggest expense there days is buying flies.. But I have more than enough for my life time and then some. Like Buffy, I seldom fish much these days.. The local lake has a problem with a plants that can bloom and kill me and my dogs.. I don't go near it.. I stream fish a couple days in the mountains.. That used to be peaceful and pretty much deserted.. Since the greenies have found it, I fish a couple times in June and pretty my forget it.. Shooting is easier and more enjoyable..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing wrong with old school rods. Bamboo and fiberglass worked three generations ago and still works today - you're forced to slow down your casting rhythm vs. with graphite, maybe, but that's about it. I have them all, and more often than not will reach for bamboo. But then, a good friend/rod builder is gifting me a four piece graphite travel rod, a 2 weight for small creeks, which might sway my opinions!

Shocking how the prices have risen for custom bamboo rods, both old and new, but deals can be found with a little diligence.

I'm glad I don't have to buy any new reels to manage my renewed interest. The sack full of old Hardy's should still do the job, and with class! (I have a 3" Hardy Perfect an old GF gave me for Christmas in 1987. I about had a heart attack when I recently saw what current retail is for them.)

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I just received a spool of 406 4wt DT for a bamboo rod. I'll get it spooled up and try it this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.