Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I guess I will have to buy a wolf tag next week when I’m there. A buddy killed one about a month ago. He should have waited…😂

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunters will not eliminate the wolves. Doing so would require hunters, professional hunters, trappers, and poisons.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Why is it acceptable that we killed off all the wolves but not the buffler?

Wolves....sneaky fast and tenacious.

But buffler....big stupid and slow. Those we couldn't have possibly killed off?

I think "we" did a dang good job on both of those species................along with a few dozen more.

I do wish they'd restock the LA basin with grizz though. That might raise a ruckus, and I ain't talkin' about no beer getter for the 'flave.

Don’t forget San Francisco too. Piglosi could host one in her mansion.

We have to start somewhere.

I just figured on the economic aspect. Biggest bang for the buck you know. The bears would eventually work their way N and S and get to San Fran and San Diego.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Hunters will not eliminate the wolves. Doing so would require hunters, professional hunters, trappers, and poisons.
There's no chance in the world that casual hunting can dent their numbers. They're too hard to find and they're scattered too thin. Statewide, there's only 1 per 60 to 80 square miles. A pack will cover many miles a day while hunting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Aerial...

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've got 3 Duke #2 coil spring traps

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's no chance in the world that casual hunting can dent their numbers. They're too hard to find and they're scattered too thin. Statewide, there's only 1 per 60 to 80 square miles. A pack will cover many miles a day while hunting.

You get one and you can afford reloading components off gunbroker...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was watching [video] 2 lads riding dual-sport motorcycles on mountain'ish single track south of coeur d'alene lake region , wow , didn't realize it was SO THICK up there . A pack of 20 wolves could stand still at 30 yards in some places without being seen .
Deep bottoms as dense as a jungle , thought south-eastern coastal areas were bad - same/same . Hike down in there and use a climbing tree stand might give a hunter a chance - very small chance .
Have a Bear/ML/Wolf tag and plenty of time on your hands , plus a trail bike/snow machine/4x4 truck .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Now that I think of it, I believe it might have been when I was hunting elk in Colorado, a few years earlier, that I bought a wolf tag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope the Idahoan's whack the schitt out of the wolves and make the Greenies cry like babies. Kill 'em all, leave none alive.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That is the truth, I have spent 2-8 weeks/year since delisting trying to get a shot. I have heard, seen and tracked them but have never got into rifle range where I could legally shoot one...yet.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Aerial...

That works but not as well as you think. When done in Alaska it worked because of all the open terrain. Wolves have very good ears and they learn quickly to use cover which Idaho has plenty of.
Setting up traps and snares around fresh kills will probably produce the best results. That and finding someone truly good at conversing with wolves.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I've got 3 Duke #2 coil spring traps

Years ago in Northern MN I saw a good sized wolf being held by a 4coil #2. Every so often it seems you get one that doesn’t fight the trap much. Most do however.
I think an MB 650 with inside lams would be my minimum, a 750 would be better. They get caught here as incidentals and those traps hold the biggest of them.
Depending on any sort of restrictions on snares in Idaho, they would be a bit more suited for the job.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.