Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Likely to continue as it has the past year, for at least another year.... possibly more

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not even close.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Our local Walmart — yes, I go there — is usually flush with shot shells but they have just few boxes of 16’s.

‘Course 20-30% of the grocery shelves are spotty also.

Was in a usually flush Sioux Falls gun store this morning and they are essentially emptyyyyyy except for a few esoterica like the 307 Win.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not even a little. And probably won't for a year or two, if ever again.

Local SW shelves are filling up with the same stuff no one is buying. At least locally. Ermine and Elephant, nothing much in between. Some 25-06 hunting loads, quite a bit of ball ammo in 7.62/308 calibers. 450 Legend or whatever... I passed on that lone $62 box of .260 140 Scenars.... I have Corelokt that work just fine, rounds and components both.. Ditto my other calibers- enough for several years if I don't waste it unnecessarily at the range. Which I don't do anyway.

I've shot maybe 15 rounds of .22 RF in the last decade, so my several thousand rounds should be gtg....that raspberry patch -raiding porky hasn't shown back up again yet - no need to dirty up a barrel. smile

Last edited by las; 10/13/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
AGL4now Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
So "What" is the ammo situation in Anchorage, Alaska and the Kenai/Soldotna area......??? Are the shelves heavy with wide assortment of ammo......???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AGL4now
So "What" is the ammo situation in Anchorage, Alaska and the Kenai/Soldotna area......??? Are the shelves heavy with wide assortment of ammo......???

The Sportys las referred to is Slowdotna.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by las

Local SW shelves are filling up with the same stuff no one is buying. At least locally. Ermine and Elephant, nothing much in between. Some 25-06 hunting loads, quite a bit of ball ammo in 7.62/308 calibers. 450 Legend or whatever... I passed on that lone $62 box of .260 140 Scenars.... I have Corelokt that work just fine, rounds and components both.. Ditto my other calibers- enough for several years if I don't waste it unnecessarily at the range. Which I don't do anyway.

I've shot maybe 15 rounds of .22 RF in the last decade, so my several thousand rounds should be gtg....that raspberry patch -raiding porky hasn't shown back up again yet - no need to dirty up a barrel. smile

This is very "Helpful" information for me. I very much appreciate the help.

None of my business, but what two or three cartridges are you looking for the most....???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see a supply turn around until there's a dominant party reversal at the national level. If one is not stocked up, it's a matter of panic buying if a box shows up. Given the inflation we're seeing too, if there is a recovery we'll still be paying 30 to 40% more. Seriously glad I'm not a youngster just entering the shoot sports. There'd be no way.

Fortunately, I'm stocked for ammo and components well enough to get through a decade or so. Unfortunately, I'm also old.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/13/21.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If one lived through the Clinton and Obama years there is no excuse, other then finances, for being caught short during the Crazy Joe years. But, it ain't him as he ain't calling the shots, Susan Rice and Obama are.

I don't think the ammo or powder or loading component shortage issue is over or ending soon.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
I don't see a supply turn around until there's a dominant party reversal at the national level. If one is not stocked up, it's a matter of panic buying if a box shows up. Given the inflation we're seeing too, if there is a recovery we'll still be paying 30 to 40% more. Seriously glad I'm not a youngster just entering the shoot sports. There'd be no way.

Fortunately, I'm stocked for ammo and components well enough to get through a decade or so. Unfortunately, I'm also old.

I agree the future looks bleak for ammo. In less then two years the Russian supply ends. Plus inflation will only accelerate, eventually leading to "Price Controls" which totally shuts off supply, other then "Black Market". With the "Mid-term" elections coming up, there will be more and more jabbering about gun control, and signing for the purchase of ammo.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you think this is just about Biden or the supply chain, you haven't been paying attention. It is much bigger and more extensive than any previous "we can wait this out" scenario.
Don't look for this to change (I hope I'm wrong!), but the lefties play for keeps and they now control EVERYTHING! (well, not to diminish God's ultimate control). They own the executive, judicial and legislative branches; they own the press, they own judges and mayors and governors. They own Wall Street.
I hope you stocked up and are in it for the long haul. Oh, and BTW, they don't even want you to HAVE a gun, much less buy ammo for it.
This is not a drill.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Supplies seem to be improving. Care to explain why one should stock up asap? Thanks
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We have a decent supply of everything (except 243), but I really think I don’t have near enough in the warehouse. Had I kept our ammo online, we’d be empty.

I really believe it’s about to get worse. I’m thinking worse than 2020 - worse than we’ve ever seen.

I think everyone better get what they can as soon as they can. Reloading supplies too.

NRA lifetime member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinLA
Supplies seem to be improving. Care to explain why one should stock up asap? Thanks
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We have a decent supply of everything (except 243), but I really think I don’t have near enough in the warehouse. Had I kept our ammo online, we’d be empty.

I really believe it’s about to get worse. I’m thinking worse than 2020 - worse than we’ve ever seen.

I think everyone better get what they can as soon as they can. Reloading supplies too.

Well, it would certainly seem to be of benefit to those selling the supplies if people did so.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las

This is very "Helpful" information for me. I very much appreciate the help.

None of my business, but what two or three cartridges are you looking for the most....???

I'm fairly good for my hunting purposes for 5 years, or so, but will pick up a bit more factory ammo opportunistically if reasonably priced in 243, 260, 270, 06., Or more powder if I can find it reasonably. But then again, I haven't reloaded for anything in over 10 years- but I can, and am feeling a few lbs shy in the powder department. Primers and brass I have. Favoring the 260 and '06 overall.

I don't blow lead down the barrel just for the hell of it, but I'd like to build up a bit more margin on factory ammo and components both, especially powder.

I'm considering buying a bunch of currently available 25-06 factory, a barrel and maybe some dies..... smile. ditto 7 Mag. barrel if I get desperate and run out of .338 stuff- not likely-I have a couple hundred rounds of 7M, and no gun.... I would like to mess with the 7X57 more if I can do it without shorting the powder supply. I suppose I can pull the 7 M components and use them in 7X57 if- again unlikely- necessary. Contingency planning here.... smile

At my age, and with what I have, and my shooting/hunting practices, I'll probably be dead or done hunting before I run out of current stock, but still... nice to be sure. I can wait.

I have 100 rounds or so of factory .270 and a take-off barrel that I can swap out for one of the three '06's to stretch that supply if I get some time this winter...if it shoots.

I have some machinery repairs to get ahead of first... and no, I'm not trading anything off. One never knows....

Last edited by las; 10/14/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got an E-mail from Brownells saying that they had small rifle primers in stock. I went to their site as soon as I saw the E-mail. They were out of stock :(, so I think people are still hording ammo. bullets and primers. I'd expect it to stay that way for at least a few months.
I might be guilty of that in a way, so I'm not pointing fingers. But I bought mine before there was a pandemic and a moron in the white house.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/14/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
What bewilders me is people waiting for a "GOOD" deal on ammo and powder and primers. Now if all the store have shelves bending with the weight of abundant ammo, and a substantial number of stores were have big weekend sales events, then I could envision the potential for super good deals.

But if the shelves are empty, and prices are up from pre-shortage, and raw material costs are rocketing from inflation and supply chain disruption......what is to be gained by waiting. Only higher prices, and maybe what you need is "Never" ever available.

And this is "Only" ammo......not like it is something important like food or fuel.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
There are a lot of people hoarding right now. I may be pt in the camping depart but I make sure that if somebody is from the Bush that I will move heaven and earth to get them ammo.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
There are a lot of people hoarding right now. I may be pt in the camping depart but I make sure that if somebody is from the Bush that I will move heaven and earth to get them ammo.

What price for 9mm ball ammo......??? I have about 3,000 rounds "factory" available for sale......???
What price for .40 S&W "GOLD DOT" by the case lot (50 boxes of 20 rounds=1,000 rounds)...???
What price for cases of .44 Magnum 240 gr. 1,200 fps factory (500 rounds per case).

I have lots of ammo for sale, in case lots.......but can't find prices, if the Alaska stores, are "Currently Not Available".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... And this is "Only" ammo......not like it is something important like food or fuel.

WHAT?!!!!! wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... And this is "Only" ammo......not like it is something important like food or fuel.

WHAT?!!!!! wink

NO Worries........it will be a surprise for you. (Curious, how many different times in you life, you have experienced Government Price Controls......)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.