Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

I called about this about a year or 2 ago, and to get all this “free stuff”, I had to agree to pay 50% of a certain number of future hospital stays - I don’t recall how many.

Just wondering if there’s anything different now or it's the same old “No such thing as a free lunch”?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We pleased with ours. Find an agent who deals with multiple companies. He can explain the workings to you and find a plan that fits your needs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JJ from “Good Times” loves it…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you're old enough for medicare, you should already know there's no such thing as a free lunch. that being said, if an ad sounds too good to be true, then this company isn't who you want to deal with. there are good plans. i have one. blue cross. there are different types of coverage. you get what you pay for.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
JJ from “Good Times” loves it…

Dynomite

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have A,B,D,G No out of pocket except about 150.00 per year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why does it make a difference what zip code you have???

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best to check out a bunch of companies, or the one you have been with before you signed up for medicare if you were happy with them. I was with Providence for my health insurance when I was working and was extremely happy with their service so I compared their advantage plans and customer service to other companies and found they were highly rated and had excellent coverage. Sometimes, what they say they will cover and their customer service aren't what they advertise and you can get a sour taste from that, even if it is saving you some money down the road. I also didn't want to deal with a company that was many states away or one that didn't have a real person answering the phone.

Blue Cross is highly rated, as well as Providence, and several others I can't remember at the moment. Check out as many as you can, go to a seminar or two to get a feel for the company and ask questions before making a decision...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love our Advantage program from United Health Care. Had it for eight years now and have been in hospital once. My total costs for a gallbladder removal, bladder surgery and meniscus knee repair is a whopping $210.00. If I have to go to the hospital for more than one day/night, the most I will have to pay is $3,500. Any Medicare Advantage program is better that no M.A.P.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whelenman

They say some zip codes are food deserts

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had United Health Care. I switched to Humana PPO A little more expensive,but their network is considerably bigger .Mine is the entire front range here in Colorado and if I call ahead of time, I am covered else where. Say like on a trip.Bad thing about any plan,, once you get on one, and I think it is year, you cannot get back on regular Medicare and buy a supplement.They will ding you real bad for any existing conditions.One exception would be if you move out of the area and there is no affiliate where you move to.
Don't call the company direct.Find a good broker. They can guide you to what plan is best for you and they are free.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/13/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I cant answer 'why it makes a difference', but I know it does. If you live along the Ms. River in South Louisiana, you get a lot of things that we dont get in North Louisiana, unless we pay extra for them.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I worked for a Medicare Exchange Company before I officially retired some time back. The zip code thing is called “community rated.” Health of the population of any zip code is directly related to expense of Medicare Advantage plan. That’s why often you’ll only see one or two providers for a particular zip code and rates are very expensive compared to other places. Maybe this helps.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Does My Zip Code Affect My Medicare Coverage?

You might be surprised to know that your zip code can affect your Medicare coverage. Here’s how the availability of certain Medicare programs can change based on where you live.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services reports that, with Original Medicare (Parts A and B), you can use any doctor or hospital that takes Medicare, anywhere in the U.S. Medicare plans like Medigap and Medicare Advantage are a different story, though. The pricing, rules, and availability of these plans vary by state, and even sometimes by zip code. Here, we cover what you need to know about Medicare coverage based on where you live, using the official U.S. government website for Medicare as a guide. ...

...Assuming now that you are eligible, let’s address the question—is Medicare different in each state? Since Original Medicare is a completely federal program, it’s equally available to residents in all U.S. states.

However, certain programs within Medicare vary from state to state in terms of rules, availability, and pricing. Two such Medicare plans are Medigap and Medicare Advantage. The coverage and features of these Medicare plans will vary depending on where you live.

Medigap

Medigap, sometimes called Medicare Supplement, is available to Original Medicare beneficiaries. It works like an insurance policy to cover the “gap” between what Original Medicare pays and what you owe in out-of-pocket expenses (like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles).

Medigap plans must follow Medicare rules, but because they are run by private insurance companies, their availability and pricing will vary from state to state. You can compare the plans available in your region using the official U.S. government website for Medicare.

In addition, your State Health Insurance Assistance Program or State Insurance Department are good resources for more information about local Medigap availability and pricing.

Medicare Advantage

Medicare Advantage takes the place of Original Medicare and is a form of managed care. It relies on the use of pooled resources as well as networks of caregivers to provide you with low out-of-pocket expenses. Medicare Advantage Plans come in several forms, including:

Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plans
Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plans
Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) Plans
Special Needs Plans (SNPs)

Like Medigap, Medicare Advantage Plans are offered by private insurers who must follow Medicare's rules. Medicare Advantage Plans must offer the same coverage as Original Medicare, with the exception of hospice care.

Because Medicare Advantage networks of care are dependent upon the private insurer supplying each individual plan, the availability of Medicare Advantage Plans will vary according to region. This is where your zip code matters in terms of Medicare eligibility. You will always be eligible for Original Medicare, but eligibility for specific Medicare Advantage plans require you to live in that plan’s service area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ro1459
Love our Advantage program from United Health Care. Had it for eight years now and have been in hospital once. My total costs for a gallbladder removal, bladder surgery and meniscus knee repair is a whopping $210.00. If I have to go to the hospital for more than one day/night, the most I will have to pay is $3,500. Any Medicare Advantage program is better that no M.A.P.

Our experience as well; we have been very happy with our UHC Advantage plan.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stick with buying the regular medicare supplemental plans. With my plans if I go to advantage plans I can't go back.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I kept my Blue Cross family insurance from my working days covering both Cookie and myself. I simply view it as health insurance and see no reason to even link it's existence to any sort of "Medi" prefix.

Allowing these companies to adopt the "Medi" terminology introduced a ton of confusion around the fed's Medicare program and the advertising world takes full advantage of it. Doesn't help the confusion issue either to have variation in state to state oversight and regulation.

Did the cataract thing a year or two back, and at every step providers kicked out comments about how Medicare would take care of all. Not one entity, however, asked for my card or number. They sure hit Blue Cross/Shield up for serious bucks though, and I didn't see "Medi" anything mentioned anywhere.

Given my age and history of excellent health, I'm pretty sure I'd be a millionaire if I'd been able to bank/invest the bucks that went to Medicare.

Sadly, I know several peers that had to come out of what was a well balanced retirement when Obama fixed things.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/13/21.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For every Medicare Advantage member, Medicare is sent a certain number of dollars every month from every company offering them. The amount is based on the average care cost of individuals in each location that plan is offered

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Look up Medicare Advisors they will help you get the coverage you need at a price you can afford.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.