Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
100grNP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Came across a mediocre shape pre 64 winchester model 70 in 30/06. Problem is it's owner passed away and he had the bolt hidden and his family can't seem to find it. Would it even be possible to get a new bolt from winchester? And even if you did I'm assuming headspace issues would be the next problem.

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
May be a good question for folks at pre64.com.

They not cheap, but have unique stuff.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 100grNP
Came across a mediocre shape pre 64 winchester model 70 in 30/06. Problem is it's owner passed away and he had the bolt hidden and his family can't seem to find it. Would it even be possible to get a new bolt from winchester? And even if you did I'm assuming headspace issues would be the next problem.

You are not going to get a new bolt from Browning. Too bad the family members can't locate the original. Its probably there somewhere.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If your patient, you should be able to find a complete bolt assembly on ebay or gunbroker. Heck, I wouldnt doubt if one of the gun heads here on the fire has a bolt laying around somewhere

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you look, you can find pre64 bolts. The headspace may or may not be an issue. Of course it could be a simple as finding a bolt and having it either re-chambered to a 300 mag of some sort, or maybe having it re-bored to something like 338-06, 35 or 375 Whelen or 9.3x62. That could possibly solve a headspace issue PLUS give you a gun new cartridge to play with. Or just buy a new bolt and barrel.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
https://pre64win.com/collections/bolt-bolt-parts/products/complete-model-70-bolt

Looks like they start at $475 and go up quickly from there. Top end is $975 but there's more to it than price.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As long as you get a bolt from the same era I will bet there is a 97% chance it will headspace. Eras: PreWar, 1936-1947, Transition 1946-1949, 1949-1952 or 1953 (These are late model bolts that the bolt faces were not recessed to do final headspace and they may go into 1954?? Definitely 1955 and later used less chamber reamers and did final headspace by recessing the bolt face.

In other words if you had an early gun that the chamber was fully cut and then burnished for final head space and put a later bolt in it that was recessed for final head spacing, it will have too much head space, possibly excess.

Now the chance of the bolt dropping in and functioning, i.e. cocking and going on Safe, is a different story. Most likely you will need a gunsmith to fit it if it doesn't function as a drop in. Post the first 3 digits of the serial number and X's for the remaining digits and we will tell you what year it is.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Levers that is NOT a pre 64 Winchester model 70 bolt. It is for a Classic.

Also the man needs an entire bolt, not just the body.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Levers that is NOT a pre 64 Winchester model 70 bolt. It is for a Classic.

Also the man needs an entire bolt, not just the body.

Gas block gives it away.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's what a Pre-64 bolt looks like.

Hang onto yo wallet. https://pre64win.com/collections/bolt-bolt-parts/products/complete-model-70-bolt

You gotta find something cheaper than that....

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Hang onto yo wallet. https://pre64win.com/collections/bolt-bolt-parts/products/complete-model-70-bolt

DF

I'm not even going to look, but guarantee I've bought rifles cheaper than what Jason wants for the things.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go down that list they go down to $475 - $499 depending on eras. That is a clean, early, unaltered, pre war bolt pictured. I have seen complete bolts for sale @ $350, but they aren't growing on trees.

OP post up a pic or two of the gun and the serial info so we can get you steered properly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
if the OP really wants this rifle and can get it at a fair price, he can just be patient and eventually he will find a bolt for it. Depending on what he is willing to pay for a bolt assembly

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I'm not even going to look, but guarantee I've bought rifles cheaper than what Jason wants for the things.

No kidding.

DF

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What "Pre 64" has done for you and folks 'similarly situated', is providing a laundry list of considerations in bolt variations. Some appear likely focus in collector concern context rather than just functional match. Others 'must adhere considerations lest further grief. '06 cartridge head diameter such central issue.

Most likely time, patience & vigilance the key to the 'eureka' moment. For me, I'd simply not buy into such a rifle in any other context than itself "parts gun"! Upfront costs and too many 'ifs' remaining for unwary buyer.

After this Forum further resources, Gunboards WTB and Winchester Collectors Association Forum.

Good luck!
John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by iskra
What "Pre 64" has done for you and folks 'similarly situated', is providing a laundry list of considerations in bolt variations. Some appear likely focus in collector concern context rather than just functional match. Others 'must adhere considerations lest further grief. '06 cartridge head diameter such central issue.

Most likely time, patience & vigilance the key to the 'eureka' moment. For me, I'd simply not buy into such a rifle in any other context than itself "parts gun"! Upfront costs and too many 'ifs' remaining for unwary buyer.

After this Forum further resources, Gunboards WTB and Winchester Collectors Association Forum.

Good luck!
John

Yep, and a good display of what various vintage Pre-64 bolts look like.

That's the reason I suggested the site. Sure wasn't advocating paying a ransom for a bolt.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Even complete Remington bolts which won't have the cocking piece location issue are often around $300 if you need one in a hurry. As mentioned above there is a good chance a random bolt will headspace but also a decent chance you won't be able to get the safety on bc of how your trigger will interact with the firing pin/cocking piece; a gunsmith can fix that but you're just adding more money.

You'll often see altered/molested/non-collectible but complete pre-64s on Gunbroker for $800 and I bought one off a member here last year for about that price. You might end up spending around that just to get a bolt and get it working.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TX35W
Even complete Remington bolts which won't have the cocking piece location issue are often around $300 if you need one in a hurry. As mentioned above there is a good chance a random bolt will headspace but also a decent chance you won't be able to get the safety on bc of how your trigger will interact with the firing pin/cocking piece; a gunsmith can fix that but you're just adding more money.

You'll often see altered/molested/non-collectible but complete pre-64s on Gunbroker for $800 and I bought one off a member here last year for about that price. You might end up spending around that just to get a bolt and get it working.

Yeah, its really a shame the op can't get the bolt from the family members he bought the rifle from. I've bought good pre 64's for less than $500.00, there's no way in hell I'm going to spend that much for a bolt and smith work to get it working sufficiently. I would have walked away from that deal, honestly...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
IN over 40 years of shooting and hunting with M/70's I've only had one occasion to need to replace a bolt. Checked headspace and found it to be within spec., as other posters have said Pre'64 website bolt prices are salty. I found my bolt on eBay paid between $200-$250. IIRC, it's been a few years ago though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I probably wouldn’t buy a P-64 sans bolt. Now if someone gave me one…

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I’d pass

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I’d pass

Well if it was cheap enough and I could part it out, maybe. In good shape, those Pre-64 stock sell pretty well. Bottom metal, etc. will sell.

But, that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

So. generally, I agree.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
408 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.