Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've heard this before but looking through Rory's calendar ( March 2022 ) it has an ad for the "Six Shot Hammerless Sporting Rifle". I have been unable to put one in the chamber and five in the magazine. What's the trick?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5 in the magazine and push down with #6 from the top while you close the bolt. Pushing down causes #5 to go under the bolt and it will catch #6 and load it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

No need for six unless you see and can take six in one group.GW wink grin

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I usually only load four in mine as it is. Haven't run short yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I load 6 regularly. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have it.

Unless I'm just transporting the rifle. Then I'll remove #6 and leave the chamber empty - but loaded rifles in vehicles is legal in Nebraska. Not true everywhere.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very not true here. Just having boxed ammo on a car seat next to a cased rifle can win you a chauffered trip to the crossbar hotel here 😬

On the bench I put 4 or 5 in mine for groups, and out in the field I normally just throw 3 in them. I'm after coyotes with mine though, so there's usually not even time for shot #2. I actually don't think I've even tried putting 6 into any of them, now that I think of it🤔 It's nice to know I could if I wanted to, though.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I load three, really don’t care if I shoot anything anymore.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I load 6 regularly. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have it.

Unless I'm just transporting the rifle. Then I'll remove #6 and leave the chamber empty - but loaded rifles in vehicles is legal in Nebraska. Not true everywhere.

in Texas, is legal to have loaded firearm in vehicle

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Two down and one up the spout, my guarantee for flawless feeding. After the first shot the rest are pretty much just Hail Mary shots anyway. Yet another reason I'm gravitating toward single shots for hunting anymore. Of course, if you plan on holding off hordes of Chicom's in a human wave attack you might need the magazine full....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
silly collectors, six is for kids...,

never heard of extended magazines?

[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put 5 in magazine and then close the chamber on the top one.

Why would you leave any extras in your pocket or pack if you have room for them in the gun?

Rooster Cogburn:
Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
If I need 6 to hit what I'm aiming at, it's time to go home. Odds are it won't be standing there after the first one anyway, unless it's really stupid 🤣

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Six would be handy pig hunting at times.

I dindnt know you could get six in one.

Last edited by hanco; 10/14/21.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot my rifles at targets way more often than at animals. 1 extra shot before reloading isn't a bad thing to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys that only need one shot in the gun crack me up.

It tells me you have limited experieince shooting at big game.

Unlike the controlled enviroment at the range where you always have a perfect rest and a clear unobstructed path to the target on pancake flat land with excellent light and holding the crosshairs deadon a 1" orange dot at an exact known range and poking holes in a paper target stapled to board.

That's all great fun and if you do it enough you can convince yourself that you are a really great shot and that consistantly hunting and killing and recovering big game with one shot is really easy..

I've seen bullets fail on big game on perfectly placed shots necisitating one or several more follow ups. Not to mention all the million other things that can go wrong in a hunting situation for even the most experieinced rifleman.

Now is the time everbody chimes in how many one shot kills they've recorded in a row. You aren't hunting the same game in the same places that I have been.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've had to plug a few twice. I hunted with a single shot for a while, too. Legal mag cap here for deer is 2, so it's not a huge difference. Single shot was just too muzzle heavy for my taste.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you've never needed to chase down a wounded deer, you probably don't understand why 6 is a good number.

If you've never had a wounded deer, you probably haven't hunted too long. It will happen, no matter how good you are.

Though I do know a number of guys who never realize they wounded a deer, because they think that if a deer runs away that they missed. Idjits.

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/14/21.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Calhoun
If you've never needed to chase down a wounded deer, you probably don't understand why 6 is a good number.

If you've never had a wounded deer, you probably haven't hunted too long. It will happen, no matter how good you are.

Though I do know a number of guys who never realize they wounded a deer, because they think that if a deer runs away that they missed. Idjits.

Lost my first one 4 years ago, it sucked... Ended up following it until it got across property lines onto some no hunting land (of which there is a lot of around my hunting spot) I just hope someone else wound up finishing it off.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nope. I can't tell you how many animals I've let pass in my life because I didn't have a clear easy shot. Killing isn't as important to me as with a lot of people, even when I was a kid. Never have I had to stick a deer twice because if I thought I might need to, I simply didn't shoot. Truth of the matter is I've killed more deer with muzzle loaders and single shots than any other type of gun. I really don't see the humor in that.....

When hunting with a single shot there's one up the spout. The spares are somewhere in one of my pockets. Ditto when I'm armed with a 99 - what isn't in the gun is somewhere in one of my pockets. I think.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/14/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Two down and one up the spout, my guarantee for flawless feeding. After the first shot the rest are pretty much just Hail Mary shots anyway. Yet another reason I'm gravitating toward single shots for hunting anymore. Of course, if you plan on holding off hordes of Chicom's in a human wave attack you might need the magazine full....

False dichotomy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
345 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.