Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Returned from the Michigan annual....Wasn't one of the better trips in that in rained 3 days and it was hot with temps going up to the high 70's on occasion.

Missed the better part of the Woodcock flight and the Grouse while there, seemed to be in the nasty cool wet areas, and for the most part were going out of the pines...Still the Dogs got some good work in and a few Birds were brought home.

Couple Buds who were there....With Bull and Jack...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Some of Merlot's work....

Last edited by battue; 10/13/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice pic’s Battue. I was wondering when you would chime in, report, and post some pic’s. You never know this time of the year. Weather can be all over the place.

Barring breaking something serious, most trips, even without game in the bag, are a net positive experience. That’s what I hear your dogs saying. 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too bad about the weather, but it looks like you made something out of the trip though. Good pics.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice trip.. I love that little dog!!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, in reference to your last sentence....If you are going to take pics of your Dog, and then forget to place your shotgun back in the car and drive off...and it rains all night before you realize the next morning you don't have it...

Well, a Model 12 is a great choice...Wiped it off, oiled it....and it looks the same as when you left it... whistle

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great pic's and love the shown Parker side X side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Well, in reference to your last sentence....If you are going to take pics of your Dog, and then forget to place your shotgun back in the car and drive off...and it rains all night before you realize the next morning you don't have it...

Well, a Model 12 is a great choice...Wiped it off, oiled it....and it looks the same as when you left it... whistle

Ok, I immediately felt what you must have felt. Yesterday I drove to the semblance of a range 30 mi away with the usual gear, targets, chronograph, shooting bag, etc. but just one rifle I wanted to sight in — a rifle worth just south of $2k. Finished in an hour, drove home.

Unloading my truck in the garage, I realized my rifle wasn’t there. Near panic, I drove the 30 mi back expecting it to be gone. Went over all the calls I’d have to make in my mind.

Get there, now after an hour of driving and my cousin, of all people, a former policeman is there having secured the rifle and had another officer on the way to take the rifle. Is this yours?!

My relief was almost physical. “Absentminded” is a very descriptive term.

Sorry Battue, but I’m somewhat relieved I’m not the only one. 🙄 😊

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like a great time nonetheless! My good buddy just drove out there Monday, he’s going to stay there for about a month. Any advice I should send his way? His first time hunting up there.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Looks like a great time nonetheless! My good buddy just drove out there Monday, he’s going to stay there for about a month. Any advice I should send his way? His first time hunting up there.

We were outside of Atlanta, Mich....If he is after Grouse there are good numbers, and hopefully the weather will cool off and bring them into more traditional locations. At this time the larger Woodcock numbers seemed to be a little South of Atlanta...However, we were still getting around 20 flushes a day. But not the 50-75 we normally had. However, more Birds may drop in from the North as the weather moves them down..

Have found the Woodcock migration map to be fairly accurate in the past of where the higher concentrations are....Type in your hunting area and it may give you and idea of what is happening in your area.

https://ruffedgrouse.maps.arcgis.co...html?id=130717a05023440a93138a696ad05b31

Last edited by battue; 10/13/21.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’m glad to see that Merlot got some work in. Looks like you had some nice looking Springers in the group too. Bummer that the flushes were down this year. Did Higgy make the trip?

IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, Higgy made the trip...and on his walks even managed to find some dead Woodcock and Grouse....Odd they would be there in the weeds. One even managed to fly again into the brush, the gun went bang and he brought it back out to the trail...He was pumped!!!!

Last edited by battue; 10/14/21.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wow! Good for him, and you! I like the picture too! Our pup would try to eat the bird, at this point. We are taking him on his first boat ride tomorrow. Gonna scout some duck holes.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, he brought them back out and kinda close, but would have been chewing on it hard if I hadn’t of taken it from him. He mostly worked on the head and wings….so the eating parts were still whole.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a very nice trip!

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Debating with self about heading up your way for a few days. I need to see more Grouse and hopefully cooler weather. 😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Debating with self about heading up your way for a few days. I need to see more Grouse and hopefully cooler weather. 😁

If you go, get well North of the Golden Road.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
One of the reasons for the debate....Have been up there hunting in the North Woods and it takes more than a little planning to have things work out OK.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cooler weather is in sort supply this year.

I will PM you.

Last edited by GuideGun; 10/15/21.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.