Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My good friend gave me a sealed bag of hot smoked salmon. Maybe 3 pounds? I tried some on a cream cheese bagel with dill, onion, and thin sliced lemon. It was pretty good stuff.
This is smoked and dried to near jerky density.
I am going to try a cream cheese/sour cream dip. Thought about a pasta carbonara. Any other ideas?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a crab dip recipe. But I've made it with smoked salmon a few times and it's good.

Crab artichoke dip
Ingredients

1/4 cup cream cheese, room temp
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup (about 4 oz.) crabmeat, well drained
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbl. grated parmesean cheese
3 Tbl. chopped drained marinated artichoke hearts from jar
2 Tbl. sliced green onion
2 Tbl. diced red bell pepper
2 Tbl. diced celery
1 Tbl. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 1/2 tsp. Sherry wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
Toasted baguette slices for dipping

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400. Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add mayonnaise; beat until just blended. Season with salt and pepper. Using rubber spatula, fold in crabmeat, 1/4 cup parmesean, artichoke hearts, green onion, bell pepper, celery, parsley, vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Transfer crab meat mixture to 2-cup souffle dish. Top with remaining 2 Tbl. Parmesean cheese. Bake until crab mixture is warm and cheese melts, about 15 minutes. Transfer to platter. Surround with toasts; serve immediately.

Last edited by Steve; 10/12/21.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Most of what I make is eaten as is, as a snack. Occasionally crumble it on spaghetti.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use the same dry rub I use for ribs on salmon, smoke it with Alderwood. I eat it warm as it comes out of the smoker or cold with Ritz crackers. Never made a salmon dip but that should be great too. Sometimes I skip the rub and marinate overnight in Teriyaki and smoke with alderwood.

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I used the dip recipe somewhat. It turned out fantastic. I added sour cream, cream cheese and mayo with chopped onion, red bell pepper, chopped salmon. I chopped/blended that up with a hand blender. Then I added more finely chopped onion, bell pepper, salmon, celery seed, lemon zest, and a lot of fresh dill. Folded that stuff in, no baking, and it was a 10/10.
I really like blending in stuff before adding more solid ingredients.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You’ll find that if you make that up either the night or morning before, the smokiness has a chance to work through the cheese etc and gives a really nice flavour.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Flake it and remove the bones. Mix up equal amounts of cream cheese and sour cream, add some diced jalapenos and as much smoked salmon as you like. Spread on a tortilla and roll up and slice into small pieces.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I frequently make 'smoked trout rangoons' with the stocker trout we catch around here. I can't imagine smoked salmon wouldn't be better.

1. softened 8 oz bar of cream cheese, hand mixed smooth
2. 6 green onions chopped fine
3. 2 heaping spoons of minced garlic (and I'll throw in some thai pepper paste for added flavor)
4. couple big shakes of Old Bay
5. 1/2 cup of smoked trout
6. mix that all together
7. spoonful into a rangoon wrapper, moisten edge and seal into triangular form. Or get fancy and form into the star shape....
8. fry for a minute or two on each side until brown.
9. Eating plain is good. A light smear of sweet thai chili sauce doctored up with some more thai pepper paste makes it more gooder...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We do a smoked fish dip

1 package of cream cheese room temp
8 oz sour cream
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped horseradish
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
4-5 oz (or so) smoked fish
Salt and pepper to taste.

Beat cream cheese and sour cream. Add everything else. Let it sit for a day or two. Serve on any vehicle a dip should go on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I throw it in a cheap box of mac and cheese. Highbrow living at its best.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.