Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Duane73 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
.357 mag on elk

I harvested this Bull on Monday, October 11, 2021. I used a Rossi Model 92 .357 Magnum with Barnes VORTX 140 Grain Bullet. Took just one shot at 65 yards. Bullet entered right side and exited on left side. It can be done despite what other's say. Too many experts out there these days.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed - too many "experts" with too little real world experience.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle and elk Duane, and welcome to the fire.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Put a hole in them in the right place and they die.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very nice, and great to see. How are you liking your Rosi 92 overall? I'd guess even more after this.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B2

D
Duane73 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Shot placement is everything. I agree. Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy using open sights and handy carbines. To me simplicity is where its at. Granted there are limitations but I never have to worry if my scope loses its zero after a hard knock, etc.

I have 36 years of experience hunting deer and elk with rifle and bow (my preferred weapon is a American Semi long bow) and 29 years of guiding (im retired now)....anyway, 90% of rifle shots I seen taken are 150 yards or less with rifle and 20 yards with bow.

With actual hunting yardages being where they are at, you do not need the fancy scoped rifles all the darn time. If a person is patient and disciplined with their shot selection they can get it done with open sights.

Anyway just my two cents from a guy who loves hunting. Thank you.

D
Duane73 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I like the Rossi so far. Very smooth action and accurate. I never used the copper bullets (Barnes VORTX) before. They grouped well at 50 and 100 yards.

Open sights can be accurate, you just have to know how to use them. I sight all my rifles with open sights to where the bullet will impact just above the bead using a 6 o`clock hold. Makes it manageable. My dad taught me this 40 some years ago. In his time that is all they used and they got it done all the time.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Duane73
I like the Rossi so far. Very smooth action and accurate. I never used the copper bullets (Barnes VORTX) before. They grouped well at 50 and 100 yards.

Open sights can be accurate, you just have to know how to use them. I sight all my rifles with open sights to where the bullet will impact just above the bead using a 6 o`clock hold. Makes it manageable. My dad taught me this 40 some years ago. In his time that is all they used and they got it done all the time.

Pretty much same here, the older I get the more I've gotten away from scopes. I've had too many scope failures to really trust them in the field. Most of my rifles carry peep sights now. Use the same 6 o' clock hold just under the target as you so I can still see what I'm shooting at. I've found running a smaller 1/16" white bead front sight helps me enormously with target aquisition, too.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by zcm82

Pretty much same here, the older I get the more I've gotten away from scopes. I've had too many scope failures to really trust them in the field. Most of my rifles carry peep sights now. Use the same 6 o' clock hold just under the target as you so I can still see what I'm shooting at. I've found running a smaller 1/16" white bead front sight helps me enormously with target aquisition, too.

The problem is that the older I get the harder it is for me to use open sights beyond 50 yards smile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
.357 mag on elk

I harvested this Bull on Monday, October 11, 2021. I used a Rossi Model 92 .357 Magnum with Barnes VORTX 140 Grain Bullet. Took just one shot at 65 yards. Bullet entered right side and exited on left side. It can be done despite what other's say. Too many experts out there these days.

I guess this answers any question I might have in my mind about my .358 Win BLR on timber elk

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
.357 mag on elk

Is there a pic there? I don't see one. Trying to figure out if it is just me

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I agree, My 1894 has peep sights on it and I favor it over my scoped 336. Lever guns and peeps seem to just go together like peas and carrots.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Termin8r

The problem is that the older I get the harder it is for me to use open sights beyond 50 yards smile

Rear peep sight helps a ton. My depth perception is garbage compared to what it used to be, changing from a rear notch to a peep makes a night and day difference because you're eliminating a focal point. I'm lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 with notch and blades, but with peeps I can keep them down between 1.5-2" Makes focusing on the target a lot faster too, without having to himhaw on the stock to get my eyes in focus on the sights.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Termin8r

Rear peep sight helps a ton. My depth perception is garbage compared to what it used to be, changing from a rear notch to a peep makes a night and day difference because you're eliminating a focal point. I'm lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 with notch and blades, but with peeps I can keep them down between 1.5-2" Makes focusing on the target a lot faster too, without having to himhaw on the stock to get my eyes in focus on the sights.

Yea, Peep sight is the way to go for sure. And as mentioned above, they are a perfect match for lever guns for close quarter snap shots

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nice Elk and great shooting.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice work.,
Under perfect conditions you can harvest any animal in North America with a 22 long rifle. But we don't because conditions are not always perfect. Probably 1800 fps out of that rifle. Pretty good wallop at close range.
I have a legacy puma in 454 casull handy little rifle. Lots of power up close.
Good job,good hunting.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great job Duane smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That’s nice wood on your 92.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've been shooting a Rossi 357 for a couple of years now. Had a lot of fun with the original sights but I really like the Skinner barrel mounted peep I replaced the factory sights with.

This should be Duane73's picture below....nice!

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
So which peep sight is everyone using? Need one for an 1894 45 Colt and I’ve been looking at the ranger point precision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.