Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chisos
Watch Pawn Stars then apply the beating they give their customers to what Cabela's is going to do to you.

Your comparison of Cabela's to a pawn shop is spot on. Only you're supposed to feel much better about being ripped off since it's "Cabela's!!!".

Johnny Morris (net worth $71 billion) could NOT be reached for comment........

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
May be Cabela's is pulling the Dick's Sporting Goods ruse & will destroy them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Caplock: IF... you are looking for advice I will chime in - don't even consider using Cabela's to buy or sell (consign) your firearms.
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There isn’t anyone out there that is going to do you any favors. What does it cost to sell them on GunBroker? You will get closer to retail value.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I sold a few through Cabelas a couple years back. I came into them unexpectedly and wanted to move them fast. I could have gotten more selling them privately but the difference in the time that would take compared to the $$$ pretty much made it a wash. I had no emotional attachment to the guns and no financial stake so it was pure profit and this was the easiest way to send them on the way.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Caplock, given the current inventory woes at many local gun stores, and depending on what you want to sell, I would try selling on consignment at a trusted local dealer. They may be happy to get your guns on their shelves.

Bass Pro killed Cabela’s.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I can't think of a single "pro" to selling a firearm to Cabela's. Put 'er up here, on the Classifieds, price it right, and you'll move it quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on the state there may be a trade-in tax advantage, but I can't imagine that outweighing the cons.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Chisos
Watch Pawn Stars then apply the beating they give their customers to what Cabela's is going to do to you.

Your comparison of Cabela's to a pawn shop is spot on. Only you're supposed to feel much better about being ripped off since it's "Cabela's!!!".

Johnny Morris (net worth $71 billion) could NOT be reached for comment........

Don’t think so.
https://ozarksindependent.com/2021/...s-ranked-705-on-global-billionaire-list/
Still incredibly wealthy, but not $71 billion wealthy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by SKane
Pros: No need to ship and you walk out with $$ in hand.
Cons: Getting raped on what they're willing to give.

Pretty much sums it up. No need for this thread to go any further.

Yep.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather give a screamin deal here in these classifieds than let Cabela's/BP rape me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My local Cabelas has a JM Marlin 45-70 for $1,900 so I thought "wow I wonder what they'd give me for my JM Guide gun"? I took it in and they offered $450 crazy

Last edited by moosemike; 10/13/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This was back about 13 years ago. Contacted the KC Gun Library Mgr regarding a NIB early 1970’s 2 1/2” Colt 38 Diamondback. Worked an even trade. Traded a Win XTR FWT 257 Bob with an older 6x Habitch scope. I think total value on both was fairly close. Probably never get a deal like that today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's pretty much like trading in a car instead of selling it yourself. They do the work but they also make the profit instead of you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
LAST time I brought a firearm to Cabela's to find out what they would give me for it, they said they needed to log it in to their system with description, SN and my personal info before they could tell me what they would offer me. I told them no thanks. I was not interested in helping them build a national firearms registry and left. Never had that happen before and will never do that again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry Browning will sell your gun for 10%.

http://shootinginvestments.com/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MAC
I sold a few through Cabelas a couple years back. I came into them unexpectedly and wanted to move them fast. I could have gotten more selling them privately but the difference in the time that would take compared to the $$$ pretty much made it a wash. I had no emotional attachment to the guns and no financial stake so it was pure profit and this was the easiest way to send them on the way.

My experience is a little like this. About 4 years ago I had a Browning bolt rifle (60's vintage) that I'd inherited years earlier and had never used. Researched its value (which was kind of all over the place) and briefly tried selling it. Tire kickers but no real interest. I wanted a Tikka T3 CTR. So I went to the local Cabela's Gun Library and ended up working a deal. Essentially, I traded my rifle, which they valued at $1,000, for the new Tikka. Didn't have to pay sales tax as it was a trade. I was happy as I didn't have to mess anymore with trying to sell and the possibility of shipping the rifle. Got the rifle I wanted. A couple months later I was back in that Cabela's and they had my former rifle for sale at around $1,400, if I recall correctly. As I said, I was pleased with how it worked out and I'm sure Cabela's was as well. So there are times that it can work out, depending on the owner's situation.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed with Crusader since I had a similar experience. I was in the Boise Cabelas and they had a rifle I "needed" and was priced fairly IMO but I didn't want to lay out cash for. I had a NIB Remington 12 gauge 870 Express, the one with the really rough finish and laminated stock, that I had purchased from Cabelas for $225 when they had it on sale a few months earlier, they gave me $325 credit trade towards the rifle I purchasing. So sometimes it does work, likely other times it doesn't. Just like trading cars - expect to get low-balled and if you don't like the deal walk away.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cabelas is all over the place with pricing. Depends on the geezer running the gun room. Or used to anyway, when they had a gun room.

I’ve seen some screaming deals and some that elicit a chuckle. I’d likely try there before a local gun counter if I was selling. Most gun shops make Rick from PawnStars look generous.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.