Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had them bounce off a raccoon's skull, so make sure you get a clean shot with them at a more or less right angle. I'm not a fan, but sometimes they're a "must have" item. The fragmenting type is much better at killing than the round-nosed version.

Even better are the Subsonic fragmented type, a little faster and kill a LOT better. They also hit much closer to standard velocity stuff.

The regular Quiet load will drop about six inches below High Velocity loads at 50 yards.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've got a couple boxes of the 40gr but I've only shot a handful. They definitely pack a bit more punch than the 29gr CB Long. They are pretty inaccurate out of my 9422 and my old my little Savage single shot, though. I've mostly gone to air rifles for quiet pest dispatch because I can consistently make headshots with them out to 20 yards, where I can't with the Quiets.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CB Longs will bounce off a raccoons head as well even at 10 ft.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by djb
Velocity is only 710 fps so it drops significantly more than SV. Basically, a 25 yd load and not as accurate as SV in my rifles. It is CB cap quiet. The fragmenting loads are good killers for dispatching vermin.

Pretty much agree with djb.

Except I had a Remington 580 that I sighted in for 50 yards with CCI Quiets. We shoot eggs at 50 yards offhand and despite the terrible trigger, I've done better than any other rimfire rifle/round with it.

Solids are good for head and chest shots, though on some chest shots ground squirrels will make it to a hole. I've gone to hollow points for DRT kills. Ground squirrels, which are completely out of control in our area, DRT does not matter, just that they are dead.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use them for shooting red squirrels around my barn. They work fine for that. I've never tried wring them for accuracy as most of my shots in the pines that the squirrels hide in are pretty short. I did do a little trajectory work with them, marking the dial on my scope out to 70 yards, but as I said, I never shoot that far with the Quiets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
they make the quiets in a semi auto quiet version, much closer to standard velocity.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20 yards from a T/C Contender, bag rest.

Same distance with real ammo.

There are better options IMHO

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to use CB longs to deal with my red skwerl problem and I still have a box or so on hand. I should try a side by side comparison between the Quiets and the CBs. The results I got the few times I shot paper with the Quiets must have been less than memorable, because I don't remember getting anything special.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been shooting the Quiets out of a CZ bolt action with a can and find them to come up a wee bit short on some of the larger tree squirrels we have here in Idaho. I've got many acrobatic responses and many run offs to try and make it up the next tree and fail but have lost a few with shots that I thought were in the chest. The head movements are constant and quick due to the closeness of the house so I have passed on those for now......but it looks like I need to revisit that decision.

The CZ with the Quiet load is .174" at 20 yards and most shots are 20-25 yards. Another shooting combo is a biathlon shooting PMC standard velocity HP with group size of .38"at 50 yards that is a definite anchor but louder than the CZ set up.

I thought CCI made a Quiet load around 850fps but it's almost impossible to be picky about .22lr ammo today and I've struck out trying to find it.

Any suggestions for a subsonic load that is around 850-900fps that is somewhat available ???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a couple of CCI Quiet boxes with the segmented bullet in them. The velocity is the same as the regular Quiet at 710fps and the bullet weight is the same at 40g.

I was hoping for more effectiveness on squirrels with the segmented round but would be interested in the experience with these segmented Quiets.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redhill
I just picked up a couple of CCI Quiet boxes with the segmented bullet in them. The velocity is the same as the regular Quiet at 710fps and the bullet weight is the same at 40g.

I was hoping for more effectiveness on squirrels with the segmented round but would be interested in the experience with these segmented Quiets.

I've shot a raccoon or two with the segmented Quiets, and they killed quickly enough, but using the same bullet in the Subsonic version works even better. I'm not a real big fan of the Quiets, as per my post above.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with you on the effectiveness of the Quiet round at 710 fps....even with the segmented bullet which should help the performance.

My situation is shooting squirrels in a urban setting where quiet is most important with tree huggers for neighbors. I think I upgraded my round by going to the segmented bullet but the test will be in shooting the tree rats and see how effective they are.

The round I've been trying to find is the CCI Quiet Semi Auto #975CC with the 45g bullet at 835 fps but it is impossible to find today!!!!! The additional 125 fps will hopefully increase the kill effect along with a slightly heavier bullet at 45g.

I'm shooting this new segmented Quiet out of a CZ scoped with a can and it is less noise footprint than a bb gun and very accurate out to about 25-30 yards. I do have another set up for standard velocity in an accurate rifle but there is a definite increase in sound which makes me careful as to when to be shooting that combo

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We've gone through a few bricks of the Quiet segs killing rats at night with NV on dairy farms. Most are larger than red squirrels I shoot off the feeder, and closer to grays in size. Zero to 20 yds we get quick kills to DRT. Beyond that can expect run-offs with body shots. We have no inclination to retrieve them. The farmers are more than happy to have us kill as many as we can. They don't disturb cows, and we shoot them inside barns, often right in the feed troughs. Vertical dispersion limits practical use to 25-30 yds.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My CZ455 doesnt like the CCI quiets

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a box of CCI “subsonic hollow points” the other day to try. So far they will cycle my 10/22 sported and seem to be accurate in it and a Ruger bolt rifle. I want to say velocity is 970 but that is trusting my old memory. I’m going back to buy more if there are any left.
Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickinTN
I bought a box of CCI “subsonic hollow points” the other day to try. So far they will cycle my 10/22 sported and seem to be accurate in it and a Ruger bolt rifle. I want to say velocity is 970 but that is trusting my old memory. I’m going back to buy more if there are any left.
Rick

My Mk IV 22/45 Tactical loves those things and spits the empties like a pickaninny spitting watermelon seeds. I believe the advertised velocity is 1050fps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My CZ455 does very poor with the Quiet rounds. I have two bricks and disappointed. My Finfire with Lilja barrel and Jewel trigger does not like them either.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have had them bounce off a raccoon's skull, so make sure you get a clean shot with them at a more or less right angle. I'm not a fan, but sometimes they're a "must have" item. The fragmenting type is much better at killing than the round-nosed version.

Even better are the Subsonic fragmented type, a little faster and kill a LOT better. They also hit much closer to standard velocity stuff.

The regular Quiet load will drop about six inches below High Velocity loads at 50 yards.

This on the nut same. Experience. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
None of my .22's like the Quiet rounds as well as they like the CCI Sub-Sonic 40gr HP @ 1050fps. They have the yellow band on the label with "Small Game" in black on it.

Sub-MOA capable in two rifles of mine out to 100 yards. My granddaughter was regularly whacking a 4" gong @ 200 yards with them a couple of months ago. She moved to the 2" gong and hit it three out of five shots before the wind kicked up and ended her run.

They work great on varmints, too!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.