Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have 4 boxes of the old Winchester / Western 200 Grain Silvertips in .358 Win. I own a .BLR in ..358 Win Been shooting the 200 Grain Hornady loads and really like them. Problem is that I am getting low and can't find replacements in ammo or bullets/primers without paying through the ass, so I was wondering how the old 200 Silvertips compare for use on Deer and Elk.

Are they harder or softer? Will they open up on deer or are they too hard? Will they do the job on Elk?

Just trying to figure out if they are a decent replacement for the 200 grain Hornady's in .358 for now.

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From my limited experience the Winchester Silvertips are very fragile bullets with a reputation of coming apart and failing to penatrate. My experience with these is limited though. Having killed 38 elk myself and being around over 100 killed, there are a few givens. Hit anywhere but square in the boiler room or spine, and elk can take a tremendous beating and long tracking. There is few opportunities to shoot an elk. Often you get one chance per season only. There have been several seasons of hard hunting with zero opportunities. I would not take any chances. Silvertips may work well on deer. I have little experience with Hornady's on elk either. Lots of elk are shot every season with cup and core bullets but what is not told is the number that are shot and lost. It does not matter what you have to pay for a handful of premium bullets for the one chance a year to take an elk.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They work fine for deer. Expand well and seem to behave well in the few I’ve used in water jugs. We’ve used them on a few deer and never caught one yet.

I’m sure they’d work okay for elk, but there are better options.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
From my limited experience the Winchester Silvertips are very fragile bullets with a reputation of coming apart and failing to penatrate. My experience with these is limited though. Having killed 38 elk myself and being around over 100 killed, there are a few givens. Hit anywhere but square in the boiler room or spine, and elk can take a tremendous beating and long tracking. There is few opportunities to shoot an elk. Often you get one chance per season only. There have been several seasons of hard hunting with zero opportunities. I would not take any chances. Silvertips may work well on deer. I have little experience with Hornady's on elk either. Lots of elk are shot every season with cup and core bullets but what is not told is the number that are shot and lost. It does not matter what you have to pay for a handful of premium bullets for the one chance a year to take an elk.

Thanks for sharing. I probably wouldn't use it on Elk anyway as I have other options (.300 Wby and 30-06) but was more just trying to get the complete picture.

I will probably use them on whitetail.

I would love to find a premium bullet for the 358 Win assuming we can ever by primers again LOL Nosler makes a 225 grain Partition in .358 bullets but the reloading manuals shot it to be only moving in the 2300-2450 fts range at the muzzle. Doesn't take very far before it is under 1800 FPS they call their minimum for reliable expansoin.

Funny thing is I have the Nosler manuals Vol 1-5 and they all had the load data for the .358 Win. Then I skipped buying them until I just picked up the 9th Edition and they still show the 225 grain bullets but don't even list the .358 Win instead just skipping right the the .350 Win Mag. I guess they felt nobody was loading their bullet in the .358 Win anymore???

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
They work fine for deer. Expand well and seem to behave well in the few I’ve used in water jugs. We’ve used them on a few deer and never caught one yet.

I’m sure they’d work okay for elk, but there are better options.

Yea, I think I will use them up on Whitetails until I can get my Hornady 200 grain bullets/ammo again.

Thank you for sharing your experience

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Silvertips! She say socko!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Near video, it has been a few years ago though. 1940's Silvertips are far different than the modern bullets made since 1960.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Near video, it has been a few years ago though. 1940's Silvertips are far different than the modern bullets made since 1960.

Yes they are! I have to watch this video every year about this time. Unfortunately, ol’ Claude Parmalee met a gristly demise.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yes they are! I have to watch this video every year about this time. Unfortunately, ol’ Claude Parmalee met a gristly demise.

What happened to him KW?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if kaywoddle is jesting or not but they are totally different construction. The original silver tip on Silvertip bullets were made of a much harder nickle silver compound and the cap extended all the way to the base of the bullet. Depending on caliber @1955 the Silvertip was redesigned using a simple cup and core design with a thin aluminum cap that can easily be pried off with a pocket knife. The International Ammunition Association had pictures of the different Silvertip in the progression of their manufacture. There actually was a third version that lasted only a few years in which the nickle silver tip was shortened to about half the length of the bullet. The last time I tried to access their archives I was unsuccessful.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Silvertips were all I used in my .358 in the '80s. Shot several UP bucks with them and only caught one from a hard quartering shot. It was such a pretty mushroom I glued it to the board I mounted his horns to.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 2 boxes of 200 grain and 2 boxes of 250 grain silvertips. Going to use the 200 grain this year for deer. Will let you know results.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
Silvertips were all I used in my .358 in the '80s. Shot several UP bucks with them and only caught one from a hard quartering shot. It was such a pretty mushroom I glued it to the board I mounted his horns to.

Nice. What area in the UP do you live/hunt? I live in Grand Rapids but hunted the UP several times out of Escanaba.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Can't read the details. What caused the explosion?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you can make sense of the article in the link (they compare two explosions and hard to figure witch one they're talking about) it was apparently gas.

From the article;

Possible Cause

Fire Marshal George Cook of Royal Oak and Consumers Power Company launched an investigation into the cause of the explosion the next morning. It was established that an excavating contractor tore up five to six feet of two-inch gas main late in the afternoon on the day of the explosion, according to Arthur H. Lee, Royal Oak district manager of Consumers Power company.

Charter Member

szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Termin8r

Nice. What area in the UP do you live/hunt? I live in Grand Rapids but hunted the UP several times out of Escanaba.

Live in Genesee county but have hunted the UP since the late '60s and have a cabin near Munising since '79. Haven't really hunted much there in several years since most all the deer camp guys have gone on to the happy hunting grounds.

Charter Member

szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Not sure if kaywoddle is jesting or not but they are totally different construction. The original silver tip on Silvertip bullets were made of a much harder nickle silver compound and the cap extended all the way to the base of the bullet. Depending on caliber @1955 the Silvertip was redesigned using a simple cup and core design with a thin aluminum cap that can easily be pried off with a pocket knife. The International Ammunition Association had pictures of the different Silvertip in the progression of their manufacture. There actually was a third version that lasted only a few years in which the nickle silver tip was shortened to about half the length of the bullet. The last time I tried to access their archives I was unsuccessful.

No I was agreeing with you! Totally different bullet later on than the originals.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If you can make sense of the article in the link (they compare two explosions and hard to figure witch one they're talking about) it was apparently gas.

From the article;

Possible Cause

Fire Marshal George Cook of Royal Oak and Consumers Power Company launched an investigation into the cause of the explosion the next morning. It was established that an excavating contractor tore up five to six feet of two-inch gas main late in the afternoon on the day of the explosion, according to Arthur H. Lee, Royal Oak district manager of Consumers Power company.

I found a better story year ago. I can’t seem to locate it now. And in that version there were more deaths. One more. The Daughter of the customer was allegedly also killed.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

From the article;

Possible Cause

Thanks...my bad I was looking at the pic and didn't see the link.

Thanks

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Termin8r

Live in Genesee county but have hunted the UP since the late '60s and have a cabin near Munising since '79. Haven't really hunted much there in several years since most all the deer camp guys have gone on to the happy hunting grounds.

Sorry to hear about your buddies. Sounds like a nice place though. We have a cabin in Wexford Co. It is mainly my son and I

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well good luck using the .358 Silvertips, My experience, (a few out of a BLR too) even this version of them put the "soko!" on whitetails. If I had some Hornady ammo I'd happily swap you for the Silvertips, but the only factory loads I've been able to find are 200gr WW Power Points.

Charter Member

szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,108
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.