Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Good evening Campfire,

I have a RCBS press and loading for 308 and 7mm-08. Using shell holder #3, I am running the ram touching the die to get the headspace to work.

Question: Does RCBS or an equivalent manufacturer make a shell holder that is (lack of a better description) shorter to allow more of the shell for resizing?

Thanks in advance

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Good evening Campfire,

I have a RCBS press and loading for 308 and 7mm-08. Using shell holder #3, I am running the ram touching the die to get the headspace to work.

Question: Does RCBS or an equivalent manufacturer make a shell holder that is (lack of a better description) shorter to allow more of the shell for resizing?

Thanks in advance

If its working, why change it? If you want "more of the shell" to be resized, you should think about buying a small base die set. The standard FL die set should be all you need and then a partial FL sizing should be adequate. Bumping the shoulder back .002-.003 is all you need.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm getting random shells that won't cycle due to headspace, and I'd like to get a shell holder that provides more area of the shell for resizing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm getting random shells that won't cycle due to headspace, and I'd like to get a shell holder that provides more area of the shell for resizing.

You have the die set so that it cams over when re-sizing?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You can take a shell holder and grind or sand down just a bit to achieve what you want. Edk

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
BSA,

Thanks,

The level cams over (fully), and I have the die either touching or a hair off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I'm thinking your problem might be elsewhere

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Big Sky I'll check with Redding.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The small base dies are generally used for non bolt action guns....what guns are you having problems with ?

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Maybe those cases are work hardened and could use annealing. If they are harder they may be springing back on you. Or if the cases are different brands they may size different based on the thickness of the brass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Futura

Maybe those cases are work hardened and could use annealing. If they are harder they may be springing back on you. Or if the cases are different brands they may size different based on the thickness of the brass.

I was thinking the same thing. If he is FL sizing correctly there should be no problem with chambering the brass.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks everyone

I am shooting Nosler brass with only 2 firings max. I full length size and trim the cases when needed. The two 7mm-08s I am using are Sako 85 and a Browning X-Bolt.

I have gone back and forth with the Nosler manual double checking my FL sizing. I have to run the cam all the way up and then adjust the die so it just kisses top.

I'll check on the Redding shell holders and go from there.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Buy the Redding competition shellholder set. Use die +.010 first. Turn resizing die 1/4-1/2 turn clockwise after shellholder touches the die for cam-over. Then Progressively us +.010 then +.008 then +.006 and so on down to .002. After each progression test the resized case in the rifle (assuming bolt action) until the bolt closes without resistance and your good. You get a perfect fit.

Adams

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks everyone

I am shooting Nosler brass with only 2 firings max. I full length size and trim the cases when needed. The two 7mm-08s I am using are Sako 85 and a Browning X-Bolt.

I have gone back and forth with the Nosler manual double checking my FL sizing. I have to run the cam all the way up and then adjust the die so it just kisses top.

If the ram is just kissing the bottom of the die you are not FL sizing, and probably not pushing the shoulders of the brass back enough.

Run the ram all the to the top, screw the die down until it's touching the shell holder, lower the ram, and turn the die down another 1/8 of a turn. Now run the ram up and push the handle of the press ALL the way down, and you will feel the handle "snap" over. That's called "cam over".

Now try it with lubed brass, wipe the lube off, and see if the brass chambers easily in your rifle. If not, turn the die down another 1/8 of a turn and repeat the process.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ERK
You can take a shell holder and grind or sand down just a bit to achieve what you want. Edk

I have done this for a rifle that had a tight chamber. Body die screwed all the way down and press camming over, still could not get the case to size down enough to fit. Sanded the top of the shell holder a bit and never had an issue again. Only ever had the issue with this one rifle though and it was a cheap solution to test before buying the Redding set.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Keep the brass separated for each rifle sounds like 1 has max spec chamber.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Thanks everyone

If the ram is just kissing the bottom of the die you are not FL sizing, and probably not pushing the shoulders of the brass back enough.

Run the ram all the to the top, screw the die down until it's touching the shell holder, lower the ram, and turn the die down another 1/8 of a turn. Now run the ram up and push the handle of the press ALL the way down, and you will feel the handle "snap" over. That's called "cam over".

Now try it with lubed brass, wipe the lube off, and see if the brass chambers easily in your rifle. If not, turn the die down another 1/8 of a turn and repeat the process.

^^^^This^^^^
Dollars to doughnuts just screwing the die down a little more will fix the problem. It might not even need the full 1/8 turn, but it sounds like it does need at least some more than it has now. If you try this and it still doesn't fix it, then you can hone a couple thou off the shell holder on a very flat surface. But I bet you won't need to.

Good luck,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the Redding competition shell holders all give a longer base to shoulder length than a standard shell holder, so you can minimize shoulder bumping.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I think the Redding competition shell holders all give a longer base to shoulder length than a standard shell holder, so you can minimize shoulder bumping.

Excellent point since the OP doesn't want to minimize shoulder bumping. As currently adjusted, his dies are not giving him enough shoulder bump. He wants more bump.
Rex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.