Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hello writers!

I wanted to run this one past the experts and see what you fellows think of it. I just received a 1948 Winchester Model 70 standard rifle in 30-06. It looked very good, bore looks great, etc. But I didn't look at the bolt face.

While I was shooting it today I noticed the primers had a little bit of material that was proud, which had to be from the cup flowing into pits on the bolt face under pressure. Sure enough there are two small pits.

But there are also some imprinted circles on the bolt face. The inner looks like its the outline of a primer pocket, but I don't know what the outer one is. Could that be the case head, because of strong rearward thrust? Has this old timer been fed some hot suppers, and should I be worried about setback, headspace issues etc?

I don't happen to have 30-06 gauges or else I would check. Rifle seems to shoot well though. The cases shown here were either a 130gr Barnes TTSX with 50.5gr IMR3031 or a Speer 130gr JHP with 48.5gr 3031. One of them is rather flattened, but I know my scale is accurate and these are both according to reloading data not heavy loads.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Actually, taking a look at the rear lugs, it looks like one had an attempt at lapping it, this top one here with the finish that goes from dark to light? The other lug has some kind of shallow gouge/trench across it's face.

Can't really say I am digging that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could have been from a bad lot of primers, obscenely hot handloads and/or loose primer pockets from bad brass or hot loads.

I’ll be interested to hear more informed opinions.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Could have been from a bad lot of primers, obscenely hot handloads and/or loose primer pockets from bad brass or hot loads.

Me too, Brad!

To be honest, having seen the faces of the locking lugs and the apparent lapping they went through makes me a bit more concerned than the bolt face. The seller is an honorable guy and is offering to pay to have it inspected by a gunsmith, but not too stoked to have the rifle out of action that long either.

If he says the lugs make enough contact and the headspace is okay, cool. If not...Well.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Igloo

Me too, Brad!

To be honest, having seen the faces of the locking lugs and the apparent lapping they went through makes me a bit more concerned than the bolt face. The seller is an honorable guy and is offering to pay to have it inspected by a gunsmith, but not too stoked to have the rifle out of action that long either.

If he says the lugs make enough contact and the headspace is okay, cool. If not...Well.

Yea Winchester primers a few years (6-8?) Ago . Had issues

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ask him if he used WLR primers?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Igloo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

He hasn't shot it and i have no reason not to believe him. He said he had picked it up as trade bait for the same rifle in 270 Win and never got around to it. Could well be the previous owner used Winchester primers though!

Last edited by Igloo; 10/15/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blown primer would be my guess.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

These caused the same issue with one of my rifles.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Remington primers had issues and a recall some years back also. Same thing happened to the bolt face on a Kimber, Model 7 Rem., Ruger Ultralight. Remington paid to all 3 of them fixed.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton

Yea Winchester primers a few years (6-8?) Ago . Had issues

Yep, had WLRs do that to a M700 bolt a few years ago.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
etching of the bolt face in not too uncommon in a rifle that has been shot with hot loads that caused gas leakage, or brass with primer pockets no longer seal properly (even with “regular” loads).

The etching can deepen with continued misuse, which will exacerbate the problem. I have in the past repaired bolt faces like this by filling the pits with TIG welding, and refacing the bolt in the lathe. This is not work for the average hobbyist, or even average gunsmith.

Lapping the lugs on a factory rifle (that you aren’t planning to rebarrel) that is already probably on the “generous” side of the headspace range is not recommended. If you lap until you get to 100% contact, you will likely now have excess headspace. If you stop lapping at max H.S. you haven’t really accomplished anything, but enlongated your chamber. Setting back the barrel is an option, but is time consuming.

Post script: it’s worth adding that the degree of lug contact you see is about normal for a factory rifle. As long as the headspace is within specs, there’s nothing preventing you from shooting it in that shape. The bolt face might/might not be a problem for you.

Last edited by John0313; 10/15/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeah...the bolt face has some pits in it. But other than cosmetics, it's a non-issue when it comes to safety or function. The bolt face can be repaired and when done by a qualified 'smith, the case head to datum will be within a few thou of factory, if not dead on.

On the lugs...again, a non-issue. When you close the bolt, the trigger levers the back of the bolt upward. On a factory action or one that has a generous amount of clearance between the bolt diameter and the raceway in the action, it's not unusual to see the back of one lug showing more contact than the other...normally it's the lower lug when the bolt is in the closed position. The locking lug abuttments in the receiver will show the same pattern.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg Tannel for the win. He will make the bolt face better than new. The firing pin hole looks oversized. He will bush the bolt face and turn down a firing pin for the new smaller hole. His work is flawless and very reasonably priced. Call him: 970 878-5421

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Al said. Shoot it and enjoy. Keep a little grease on the lugs

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Listen to Al.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree with Sakoluvr on Greg. Great guy and gunsmith.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I know Greg wasn't taking on any new bolt work recently. He does great work, as do several others. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP, I have found that calling Greg directly is the best way to see what he will do and not do. Very nice fellow.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
OP, I have found that calling Greg directly is the best way to see what he will do and not do. Very nice fellow.

Yep! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,220
Posts18,466,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.