Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Somewhere in the last couple of days I read a short couple of sentences about the backup of cargo in the shipping ports in California, it had to do with supposedly a California law that prohibited owner/operator trucks from loading out at the ports, thereby contributing to the problem. Anyone know anything about this, maybe a link to a news article or some other detailed info on this? Find it hard to believe, but then, it IS California.

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is no shortage, it is all a fabricated "crisis". There are ships full of goods circling off both coasts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The politicians kramed threw a law that made Uber, and lyft drivers become employees. As usual there was tons of crap in that bill. I don't know the details, but that is the cause.

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Somewhere in the last couple of days I read a short couple of sentences about the backup of cargo in the shipping ports in California, it had to do with supposedly a California law that prohibited owner/operator trucks from loading out at the ports, thereby contributing to the problem. Anyone know anything about this, maybe a link to a news article or some other detailed info on this? Find it hard to believe, but then, it IS California.

I don't know the name of the bill , but my understanding is they have outlawed independent contractors, that are kept track of with a 1099 every year.
They are forcing companies to hire them as employees and pay benefits and payroll tax's. So as you can guess they said fugg it and left the state

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF). Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.

Second, AB5, which prohibits owner operators. This is a common legal construct in trucking where the driver owns the truck, but "leases on" his truck to a corporation who handles registration, insurance, dispatch, billing, etc. Doing the union's bidding, AB5 outlawed this arrangement, and many, many truck owners simply "moved" to Nevada, Oregon, Arizona, etc, and continued driving outside of CA.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by reivertom
There is no shortage, it is all a fabricated "crisis". There are ships full of goods circling off both coasts.

Watched a video taken. a couple days ago. Docks in California are stacked full of containers.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF).
Yep - a OTR driver friend told me that too..
Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.
You're late - it was ready eight years ago, and they sold it to someone else.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
You're late - it was ready eight years ago, and they sold it to someone else.. laugh laugh

Doh!

sure sign I'm getting OLD....... !!!!!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Twopatch
The politicians kramed threw a law that made Uber, and lyft drivers become employees. As usual there was tons of crap in that bill. I don't know the details, but that is the cause.

Your truck has to be inspected and brought up to the 2020 standards or you cannot operate in California. The biggest issue seems to be that there is no such thing as an independent trucker in California. You must be an employee and not a contractor. It seems that many of the drivers that hauls out of the ports at one time were independents who contracted with the likes of Walmart, Target and Home Depot to carry containers from the docks to distribution warehouses across California. Since so many folks have moved out of California there are not enough truck drivers for the big corporations to hire. It's not that the truck drivers seem to be lazy but they no longer live in California.

Go to page 7 for the abbreviated version of the rules. Trucks built before 2006 are not allowed and anything after 2007 has to have the modifications that comply with the 2020 California law. It seems the California Supreme Court has upheld these laws and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review them.

https://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-s...lmington/handouts-may9-2019.pdf?sfvrsn=8

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before people start blaming truckers for our current supply chain problems coming out of California ports. Yes, some news reports say the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.

Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.

Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.

Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.

And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”

BUSINESS
CARB ( California Air Resources Board) has started to blocking certain trucks’ DMV registrations in 2020

Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020 or their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV, the state has said.

The new “health-based requirements” will need to be met before a driver is allowed to register his or her truck through the Department of Motor Vehicles, CARB says. A new enforcement tool used by the DMV beginning in 2020 will automatically block 2010 and older trucks from registration.

Then there's the $5+ a gallon diesel prices in California. Many truckers simply aren't going there and paying those prices.

Wake up people your $20 gallon of milk is coming with your $10 loaf of bread.

Copied from Jake Rogers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Morewood

Please read^^^^^

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Quit bitching when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... 2007 trucks and newer have no restrictions until after Jan 2023, at that time they will need a 2010 or newer engine. Older trucks have until this year been able to operate with installed exhaust scrubbers.

The law has been in effect since 2008, NOTHING NEW HERE... and has been challenged many times... Also it effects all trucks entering California.

After 2023, all trucks must have a 2010 or newer engine. That's it.

Now for those of you that haven't been in the trucking industry, most insurance companies have far stricter requirements as to the age of the trucks that they will insure for interstate transport.

So go fly a kite, you'd have better luck, just do it during an electrical storm, a big one!

Phil

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hell, if you want to talk about rules and regulations that effect commercial drivers and the shortage of. The 3 biggest and all of them are more than 20 years old are (and I might be slightly off about the dates)...

1983 B.A.C was changed from 0.08 to 0.04 for commercial drivers.

1992 federal government standardized rules and regulations, and a drivers record followed you from state to state.

2001 point system was changed, and commercial drivers were no longer allowed points even in their personal car without it counting against their commercial license.

Combined, experienced drivers were hard to keep.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Quit bitching when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... 2007 trucks and newer have no restrictions until after Jan 2023, at that time they will need a 2010 or newer engine. Older trucks have until this year been able to operate with installed exhaust scrubbers.

The law has been in effect since 2008, NOTHING NEW HERE... and has been challenged many times... Also it effects all trucks entering California.

After 2023, all trucks must have a 2010 or newer engine. That's it.

Now for those of you that haven't been in the trucking industry, most insurance companies have far stricter requirements as to the age of the trucks that they will insure for interstate transport.

So go fly a kite, you'd have better luck, just do it during an electrical storm, a big one!

Phil

A little knowledge is a frightful thing.

Trucks entering the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach must comply with the “clean truck program”,

https://polb.com/environment/clean-trucks/#program-details

From the horses mouth:

“Commencing on Oct. 1, 2018, any new trucks registered in the Port Drayage Truck Registry (PDTR) must be model year 2014 or newer. Drayage trucks registered in the PDTR prior to Oct. 1, 2018, that are current on their annual registration fees as of Sept. 30, 2018 and are compliant with state law may continue to operate at the Port of Long Beach.”

So, Mr. Greyghost, you are relegated to irrelevance, once again. Please refrain from talking about trucking, your ignorance is irritating.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Hell, if you want to talk about rules and regulations that effect commercial drivers and the shortage of. The 3 biggest and all of them are more than 20 years old are (and I might be slightly off about the dates)...

1992 federal government standardized rules and regulations, and a drivers record followed you from state to state.

2001 point system was changed, and commercial drivers were no longer allowed points even in their personal car without it counting against their commercial license.

Phil
So not having drunks drive semis and only allowing them to have one driver license so they can't spread their points around to multiple states is a bad thing?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil

[bleep] off.

As a former driver who ran 48 plus Canada, lots of local stuff and still maintains his license. Your examples suck donkey balls.

#1. Anyone who can't stay away from driving drunk sure as hell
isn't worth much to the profession.

#2. If your driving habits are so bad you need licences in multiple states
to keep a good one? Again. POS driver.
Got a bunch of T shirts. Never came close on my license.

#3. Car incidents shouldn't cou t against the CDL . But they do. So any
decent driver drives a car like his truck.

#4. My hypocrisy illustrates this one.
5/07, 4am, going to work in a car. Pulled over for 70+mph in a 45 construction zone.
On seeing my CDL, and learning of my gasolene hauling job, i was
given the gift of a "Failure to heed highway warning signs" fine.
$100. No points.

Cops are hesitant to put point on CDL holders licenses.

As to Cali and trucking, their crap goes back many decades.
Their truck inspection and fines were so bad that many drivers and
small companies wouldn't go there. And that goes back to the 80's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Gayghost at least you’re consistent. You are constantly stupid and wrong every time. Fugking dumbass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

[bleep] off.

As a former driver who ran 48 plus Canada, lots of local stuff and still maintains his license. Your examples suck donkey balls.

#1. Anyone who can't stay away from driving drunk sure as hell
isn't worth much to the profession.

#2. If your driving habits are so bad you need licences in multiple states
to keep a good one? Again. POS driver.
Got a bunch of T shirts. Never came close on my license.

#3. Car incidents shouldn't cou t against the CDL . But they do. So any
decent driver drives a car like his truck.

#4. My hypocrisy illustrates this one.
5/07, 4am, going to work in a car. Pulled over for 70+mph in a 45 construction zone.
On seeing my CDL, and learning of my gasolene hauling job, i was
given the gift of a "Failure to heed highway warning signs" fine.
$100. No points.

Cops are hesitant to put point on CDL holders licenses.

As to Cali and trucking, their crap goes back many decades.
Their truck inspection and fines were so bad that many drivers and
small companies wouldn't go there. And that goes back to the 80's.

As a fellow former driver and current trucking company owner, I agree with all your points.

To expand a little on the NATIONAL problem with capacity, it is in part related to a couple of changes in regulations.

One, the whole Diesel engine “after treatment” disaster. Due to the stupidly short timeline that the engine manufacturers had to come up with something that worked, essentially ALL diesel trucks built between 2007 and 2016 were frightfully unreliable. Average longevity of the engines went from close to a million miles to barely more than half that. Overhaul costs, at the same time nearly doubled due to the added complexity and additional parts. Many trucking companies went broke, many resorted to rebuilding older trucks over and over again. New truck sales plummeted. International Truck would have gone out of business if they had not been bought by VW.

All that to say that we had a hardware shortage coming into this boom, and it was due to .GOV.

Second, the requirement of electronic log books on commercial vehicles. This cut driver productivity by as much as 25% in the name of safety, but the numbers, incidentally show an increase in accidents after the mandate.

Third, last year’s requirement that drivers must register with the federal Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse, and companies must check their drivers records every year. This pushed an estimated 50,000 drivers out of the industry. I’m not going to say that the industry should tolerate potheads or drunks, but there probably should be an expiration date on offenses, like with points on a driving record.

All this supply side reduction by the government, together with record freight offered is resulting in today’s sky high rates and capacity issues seen nationwide. Stack the additional government idiocy unique to Ca (CARB and AB5) on top of that and you have the perfect storm.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.