24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I spent my first day squirrel hunting here in SE Va. Pretty much a rotten day for squirrel hunting. It rained early this morning so everything was slopping wet. It was in the mid to high 70s and humidity made it like a sauna. All the leaves here are still green and the trees are full. There was heavy overcast so the woods were dark. The mosquitoes were relentless. I walked through exactly 10,798 spiderwebs, most of them with a big red orb weaver in the middle, and most a face level. Only saw four squirrels and only got a shot at one of them, which I got. I heard several calling in the tree tops but you can't see up into the trees since the foliage is so thick. So, not an ideal day for squirrel hunting. Yet, somehow, infinitely better than work.

Lots of hickory mast falling, but very little oak. The acorns are still mostly holding on up in the trees. There are some acorns, but they are mostly red oak and it looks like the squirrels are cutting them down in bunches and feeding on them on the ground. Only a very few white oak acorns were seen.

All of my yard squirrels have warbles. So I knew what to expect out in the woods, and my only squirrel of the day did not disappoint. One of the reasons I prefer squirrel hunting after a freeze or two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/11/21.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one is better than down here , the tree rats have 8 or 10 on them now . Nov. it will get better

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not to sound stupid, but Do the Warbles hurt the meat?

It it safe to eat the Squirrel?

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They only get in the skin. Doesn't hurt the meat at all. In fact, they don't even really hurt the squirrel. They're just ugly. But this is the time of year for them.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What kind of bug causes them?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Warble flys. Aka heel flys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Botflies. Like cattle botflies, but a slightly different species. Disgusting looking things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuterebra_emasculator

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I appreciate the info, as I didn't know that, yrs. ago my son shot a squirrel, and we found one of those under the skin,
and not knowing, I buried the whole darn thing!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very familiar with the cattle version. I remember popping them out of a cow's hide like an enormous blackhead.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When younger,we raised meat rabbits. Always found some during the summer. We treated with hydrogen peroxide. Popped them right out

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This one had a healing warble hole but no larvae in it. I think the larvae are starting drop out. Good. Now if the temperatures and dew points would also drop a bit. It's been like a sauna in the woods over the last few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's still warm here in Alabama too, but surprisingly I haven't seen any of the icky little devils so far.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
This one had a healing warble hole but no larvae in it. I think the larvae are starting drop out. Good. Now if the temperatures and dew points would also drop a bit. It's been like a sauna in the woods over the last few days.

Very nice photo 10Glocks. Bushnell scopes are still high on my list, probably an age thingy, but I still like them as they are generally very clear. Even with all the high end scopes I have, there is just something about Bushnell scopes.
I've used that same ring and base adapter setup you're using for many years without a hitch.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
We had one here on our back yard that had three or four around his shoulders and between his shoulder blades and he looked pretty gross. We nicknamed him Quasimodo 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.