Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Here is my take on it. I use Lapua, ADG, Alpha and RWS wherever possible.

My quick example of cost savings is I bought 100 pieces of RWS 300 Win Mag brass that I used to reform into 7mm Mashburn Super in 2016, I have only done 50 of them, as I figured I would do the other 50 when I started wearing them out. As of right now, I have at least 12 firings on those original's and I am about to load them all again. I have had exactly one case that developed a split neck probably from not annealing it or it got skipped, but they were FF'ed back in the day with 4350 and a 140 grain bullet and have withstood ALOT of firings with RL33, Retumbo and now N570 with 175's between 3050 and 3100 over and over. Pockets are still tight as new and they just keep working. After the first firing I have to cut the donut out of the neck which is a pain in the butt, so the less I have to do of that, the better.

When I started with the Mashburn I was lucky to get 5 solid firings before pockets would open. To me, I saved money by not having to monkey around with the lesser expensive stuff up front cause I'd have likely be on my 3rd batch of Hornady or Nosler.

Not saying Hornady and Nosler are bad, cause they aren't, at all, they just don't last like Lapua or RWS or ADG does so it is a time and cost savings when and where the better brass is available. I still use WW, some RP, Hornady, etc. Works fine as well, just usually requires a bit more prep.

Great post and experience. Top tier to me is Lapua, as that is the most expensive brass I buy. I've checked that out every time I buy it and it always looks great. Just like if I had prepped it myself. Flash holes are drilled and very uniform and smooth, unlike other commercial brass you get. WW is about the worst I've seen. A lot of guys love PPU, but my swedish mauser doesn't like it. I've had cases split after 4 firings and never had an issue like that with any other brass I've used in that particular rifle. I generally just use Lapua in it to save the trouble. Although R-P has worked very well too. Lapua is also great in that it's always nicely annealed. It's always trimmed perfectly as well. I've measured and checked and it's always spot on, something you don't always find with WW brass. R-P has been good, just not as refined when you get it. Another good brand of brass I've found is Sig Sauer. I use that in my 308's and 22-250's. It holds up well and is pretty uniform when you get it. I've also use a bunch of Hornady brass and it's not bad, not nearly as good as Starline though, when comparing tit for tat with what I load for my Creedmoors. The starline seems to last longer and is more uniform out of the box. What I do find is the case capacity is almost exactly the same, so I use both brands with the same loading and get the same accuracy/precision. This makes it very convenient, but I just come to expect the Hornady will give up before the Starline does. For the most part, the beauty in upper tier brass is the quality out of the box and the longevity you get with it. In the end, it will save you money over other brands because it lasts longer. The catch is finding other brands that last almost as long, for a lot less money and then properly prepping your brass. After firing a lower tier brass in your chamber, it is then up to you to check it for uniformity and prep it correctly. Trim it to exact lengths, chamfer case necks, deburr the flash hole, uniform the primer pocket etc. etc. If the R-P, Hornady, WW, Norma or other commercial brass you load doesn't check out, toss it and find a brand that works for you...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Well I have the 100 pcs...may as well use them up... I am a hunter, under 1moa @ 100 is fine for me. I do like to shoot my hunting rifles 100-200 x a year, so I figure worst case scenario is I shoot them 2-4 yrs and need to buy again.

You’ll be fine. I am limited to pretty much Nosler or Norma for my .300 WSMs. I’ve not had any issues with them. Of course at one time Norma made Nosler brass, at least for certain ones.

Yes, Norma did make some of the Nosler brass.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used pretty much all types of brass. But have not bought spendy brass until lately when I couldn't find run of the mill brass. Back when I had more time than money I used to measure neck thickness and turned necks to uniform thickness, marking brass that had necks that were thick on one side and thin on the other figuring the whole case would be like that.

My 35 Whelen had a tight chamber cut by a very good smith. I messed around with different 30-06 brass necked up. Finally I bought some Nosler brass and it was way better in that 35. I'm not sure if it makes as much difference in factory chambers that are not so cut.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ever since I started reloading 45 yrs. ago Winchester brass has always worked fine for me, the one exception is full power .44 Magnum hunting loads are assembled in Starline brass.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I spent as much time cleaning up a bag of Winchester brass that it would have been nicer to just get Lapua for the same price and probably more reloads... problem is Lapua doesn't make brass in 325 WSM! Nosler had some prepped stuff and that was nice... ready to go after visual inspection. I figure cost + time were about 1.25 : 1 nosler to win in terms of dollars and time. YMMV as they say.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, my experience with good quality brass, is it lasts longer and I don’t spend much time cleaning it up. While I am limited here compared to many, Laupua and Sig brass have become my two top brands of brass. I’ve had decent luck with Nosler and Hornady, though I have to clean up Hornady more than the other 3. I started reloading with once fired factory brass. I’ve got some older Winchester brass that works pretty good, but some new Winchester brass I bought as I needed some .270 Win brass this summer is trash. I’d say I got what I paid for, but I paid less for Sig and Starline brass and got a lot better quality. My go to brass is quickly becoming Sig brass. The price is right, and to me, the quality is just under Lapua quality.

Well I just bought a hundred pieces of Sig brass from Cabelas just because you said it is good stuff. They only have it in 308 but I can use it for my 7-08 or 260 easily enough. $28. for 50 and I had 50 bucks worth of reward bucks so I got 100 pieces for $10.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Quality brass typically lasts longer, usually due to the base/web of the case being beefier. Consistency in thickness/volume/weight should be characteristics of top shelf brass. I’ve really only checked volume consistency on three brands: Hornady, Nosler and Alpha. The Nosler and Hornady were very similar, but Alpha is simply stellar.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rickt300

Well I just bought a hundred pieces of Sig brass from Cabelas just because you said it is good stuff. They only have it in 308 but I can use it for my 7-08 or 260 easily enough. $28. for 50 and I had 50 bucks worth of reward bucks so I got 100 pieces for $10.

I have found SIG brass in 243 and 308 Winchester to be a good value with its reasonable price and very uniform neck walls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well, my experience with good quality brass, is it lasts longer and I don’t spend much time cleaning it up. While I am limited here compared to many, Laupua and Sig brass have become my two top brands of brass. I’ve had decent luck with Nosler and Hornady, though I have to clean up Hornady more than the other 3. I started reloading with once fired factory brass. I’ve got some older Winchester brass that works pretty good, but some new Winchester brass I bought as I needed some .270 Win brass this summer is trash. I’d say I got what I paid for, but I paid less for Sig and Starline brass and got a lot better quality. My go to brass is quickly becoming Sig brass. The price is right, and to me, the quality is just under Lapua quality.

I think you will like it. I am using it in .30-06, .308, 6.5 CM, and .300 WM. I forgot I had the bag of .300WM as I found it under my lading bench. LOL! I knew I had bought, but couldn’t locate it all summer.

Last edited by Hudge; 10/16/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I may save it for when I order my Criterion 308 barrel. I actually have a good amount of brass, trouble is most of it is Federal GMM brass that I saved from fired factory ammo. It does work and I have yet to have a neck crack. But it has thick necks and necking it down to .264 leaves me in the fitted neck brass category.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Here is my take on it. I use Lapua, ADG, Alpha and RWS wherever possible.

My quick example of cost savings is I bought 100 pieces of RWS 300 Win Mag brass that I used to reform into 7mm Mashburn Super in 2016, I have only done 50 of them, as I figured I would do the other 50 when I started wearing them out. As of right now, I have at least 12 firings on those original's and I am about to load them all again. I have had exactly one case that developed a split neck probably from not annealing it or it got skipped, but they were FF'ed back in the day with 4350 and a 140 grain bullet and have withstood ALOT of firings with RL33, Retumbo and now N570 with 175's between 3050 and 3100 over and over. Pockets are still tight as new and they just keep working. After the first firing I have to cut the donut out of the neck which is a pain in the butt, so the less I have to do of that, the better.

When I started with the Mashburn I was lucky to get 5 solid firings before pockets would open. To me, I saved money by not having to monkey around with the lesser expensive stuff up front cause I'd have likely be on my 3rd batch of Hornady or Nosler.

Not saying Hornady and Nosler are bad, cause they aren't, at all, they just don't last like Lapua or RWS or ADG does so it is a time and cost savings when and where the better brass is available. I still use WW, some RP, Hornady, etc. Works fine as well, just usually requires a bit more prep.

Good comparison, thanks for the info

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Stay away from any Federal if you like hot handloads! to me, they are the softest! Love their factory ammo, but have had pockets opwn up with one firing, split sides, necks, just a waste. Have always had good luck with /winchester, but you have t prep them a one time job. I too "prefer" RWs, Lapua, Nosler, Norma, etc. But will use Remington and winchester all day lone, but prepped/sorted. I'm just now stuck with Horanay in my 338 RCM, so time will tell! Have a ball pard!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/18/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.