Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought two sequentially numbered Ithaca Model 37s directly from Ithaca a few years ago. Serial numbers ####44 and ####45. This is the "new" Ithaca in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. One of them has a 24" rifled slug barrel (and a spare 28" vent rib barrel) and is my primary deer shotgun. The other sports a 26" vent rib barrel. I've shot them quite a bit and have been pleased with them. Both are chambered for 3" rounds.

The M37 with the slug barrel developed a timing issue, which was particularly apparent when cycling Hornady SST slug rounds through it. Occasionally, I would fire a round, cycle the action, and the next round would come out of the magazine and fall to the ground, not having been picked up by the carrier. On a couple of occasions, it would double feed a round into the receiver and jam the gun, and I would have to push the second round back into the magazine.

This isn't necessarily a quality issue. It's an issue inherent in the design. I've owned several M37s made by different Ithaca companies and occasionally it happened with those, too. Depending on the ammo. Other's have reported similar issues. And many of the Hornady shotgun shells I have are out of round, have wonky rims, and are different lengths than Federal and Remington 2 3/4" shells.

So I called Ithaca in Upper Sandusky. A live person answered and it was precisely the person I needed to speak to. No call transfers. I was greeted warmly and the service rep referred to me by name. He asked how my M37s that I bought on ##/##/20## were doing. Told them what was happening. He asked me to send both guns in to be checked by their gunsmith, though I only experienced the issue in one of them. They sent me a prepaid shipping label. I boxed them up and sent them in. They were there less than one week before I got a notice that the work was complete. The gunsmith not only fixed the timing, put in new shell stop springs, and honed some parts, Ithaca installed a rear sling swivel stud on my slug gun at no charge (I requested the stud at my expense). I told them I appreciated the quick turn around and was told in return that Ithaca immediately moves any warranty issue to the front of the service line, that they take pride in their product and stand by them. I got my shotguns back in factory boxes, along with a note from the gunsmith explaining exactly what he did and how to minimize timing issues. They also work on previous Model 37s not made by them. Two M37, there and back in right about 10 days.

That's how you run a gun company. And now I've added a new sling that isn't a butt cradle type.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/15/21.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds like great service by them. I bought one of the new 16 ga guns of theirs. Nice looking, functioned perfectly but was heavy. I ended up selling it.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had the same type of response with a 37 28 Gauge that had a timing issue. At first we thought it was a bolt issue, so they sent me a new one. When that didn't work, I sent it back and they fixed it. They said to keep the new bolt and no need to pay for it.

Great service...but it is much easier when the company is small and few people get involved in the process.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great to hear.

I've had the same experience with Weatherby as well.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the report. We always hear about bad service but far too often don't get the good reports.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wow, just wow.

Almost unheard of in this day and age.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great to hear!

Made in the USA!

Read a lot about the Company,and how they got started, a few yrs back, about an hour North West of me.

They are truly keeping a great old name in Fire Arms alive!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Great. Guns. Not cheap, but well worth the dollars

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll throw in a plug for Marble Arms. The sights on my Ithaca are Marbles. The rear windage and elevation screws are tiny and are very easily boogered. Marbles apparently doesn't sell direct to the public, so I sent them an e-mail asking where I could buy spare windage and elevation screws. The man wrote back and said if I gave them my address they would just send me some at no charge. I did. Yesterday, I got a half dozen of each in the mail.

Marble Arms. Another outstanding all-American company.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Great. Guns. Not cheap, but well worth the dollars

Yep.

The problem the OP described isn't that uncommon with the 37. I'm glad to hear about their stellar CS.

I have a 28 ga Ohio 37 and like it a lot.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bottom ejection is a nice feature but making the carrier accommodate that brings its own issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does the Browning BPS suffer from the same issue?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'll throw in a plug for Marble Arms. The sights on my Ithaca are Marbles. The rear windage and elevation screws are tiny and are very easily boogered. Marbles apparently doesn't sell direct to the public, so I sent them an e-mail asking where I could buy spare windage and elevation screws. The man wrote back and said if I gave them my address they would just send me some at no charge. I did. Yesterday, I got a half dozen of each in the mail.

Marble Arms. Another outstanding all-American company.

I've dealt with Marble Arms as well; great to deal with.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC

No.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by MOGC

No.

StudDuck is right. I've owned a couple of BPS and never had that issue. BPSs are very reliable and fine pumps.

The 37 is a somewhat complex gun IMO. A John Browning design. According to Ithaca's gunsmith, there are mainly two ways the 37 can get out of timing. One is for the shell stop spring to wear and not hold shells until the right time. This can be fixed with a new spring. The other way is to shuck unfired shells through it, which I, admittedly, did do. That timing can be reset, according to him, by firing a round and then cycling the action fully. I did have an issue firing a round and cycling the action, so I don't know. It seems to be doing okay, now. Apparently, the preferred method of getting rounds out of the tube on a 37 is to manually depress the shell stop. I tend to cycle them and saw the majority of my issues.

I do think the Hornady shells were partly to blame. Not only were many of the plastic hulls out of round, the rim diameter seems a hair smaller than Federal and Remington. The rim seems thinner, and the top of the rim has a steeper angle than the Feds or Rems. I was cussing the gun until I started having feeding problems with the same shells in my Savage 212. That Savage was having a hard time chambering and extracting Hornadys, though it would cycle Feds and Rems just fine. The dual extractors were just not holding onto the rim consistently.

Anyways, all fixed now.

Oh, and by the way. New Ithaca M37 barrels aren't like 37 barrels in the past. They are no longer "Roto Forged." Now, the barrel and the vent rib posts are made out of one piece of steel and the rib is slid onto dovetails then screwed into place, so if you ever damage the rib, you can slide it off and put a new one on. The part that the end cap tightens into is also once piece with the barrel. On the Deerslayer barrel in the picture, the part that the end cap tightens against, and the block ahead of it that the sling stud screws into, is also one piece with the barrel. None of these pieces are soldered on. The barrel and all those protuberances are all made out of one piece of steel. It's pretty impressive. I suppose that contributes to the cost of their barrels. I also like that the vent rib barrels aren't back-bored.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/22/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good information, thanks. I have been keeping an eye out locally for a M37 20 gauge. Hoping for an older corn cob forearm era. There is a BPS 20 in a local shop but it seems heavier and bulky compared to a M37.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BPS is gonna be bulkier and heavier than the original Ithaca 37. Newer Ohio guns may be heavier than the older ones.

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My M37s both have 3" chambers. My previous ones had 2 3/4" receivers and chambers. The new ones aren't heavy, but you're right, they are heavier than the older ones.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got this one around 10 yrs ago from Collectors Firearms in Houston. It's a first year 20 with solid rib. The barrel was rust blued, the receiver hot blued. You can look closely and tell the difference. The metal was as is, the wood was a mess. Paid $275.

I reworked the wood, recut the checkering. Interestingly discovered that the forearm was 18 lpi, the stock 20 lpi. The only explanation I could find was the concept of a cottage industry like in Spain, where piece work was farmed out. So, I guess different workers checkered the forearm and stock.

It has a Deluxe Polychoke, which at first was a turn off. Even thought about cutting it and installing choke tubes. But the gun is light and I was concerned that it may be too "whippy" without the Polychoke. Besides Polychokes were vintage and the gun is vintage. It has grown on me.

I changed the pitch of the butt plate, not liking the original as much as my Browning Superlight. So the Ithaca now mimics the Superlight. I was criticized on another forum for altering a first year 20 ga. stock. I replied if the gun was valuable, it wouldn't have sold for $275 from a major dealer. I sorta see his point, as these original stocks are hard to find. But, the gun suits me and altering it didn't bother me nearly as much as it bothered him.

DF

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANOGWim.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/l1qqzfd.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rCWt44T.jpg?1[/img]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a picture of my first Ithaca. But I got it at Wilcox Bait and Tackle around 1979. It was the first firearm of ever owned. It had a 26" fixed improved cylinder choke. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use buckshot in an IC choke back then. Neither did any deer I took. But then I discovered it would fire foster slugs like no ones business. I could break bottles with it at 75 paces. Just aim down the rib like a rifle. I had that gun for a lot of years and ended up trading it for something "cooler." Didn't take long to regret it. Picked up another used one years later, but it wasn't the same. Sold that. And was Ithaca-less until I got my current Ithacas some years ago. Still not the same, but the wear and tear is mine.

My first Ithaca M37 Featherlight looked like this with a 26" barrel and no sling attachment.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/26/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.