Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone handled/used a CZ Upland Ultralight?

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-upland-ultralight/

I've not handled any CZ shotguns but would like to pick up a light OU for occasional use. I'm not a shotgun guy but would like to have an O/U to play with.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a CZ Sportsman and it is a great gun for the money. I would grab it if the price is good.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one in 20 ga. It carries nice and feels pretty good but I don’t shoot it all that well. Have only shot 7.5 & 8 shot dove loads. Stout duck or pheasant loads would get your attention.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
... would like to pick up a light OU for occasional use.

What is your budget?

Life Member: NRA, GOA, PF, QF
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not really set on a budget.

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
While many people will tout the reliability of the lower tiers of O/U's, I've found that the risk of poor barrel alignment goes way up w/ the cheaper guns. I say this after patterning nearly all of mine and several of my friends' shotguns over the last 20 years. By "poor barrel alignment" I mean different points of impact btwn the two barrels. Ideally, the POI difference btwn the two bbls should be within ~1", but I've seen POI's be off by 12" or more at 40 yards on some guns. Unfortunately, the only way to determine this is on the patterning board, after you've purchased the gun.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have you patterned one of the CZ Upland Ultralights...or any of the CZ O/U's?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Have you patterned one of the CZ Upland Ultralights...or any of the CZ O/U's?

I have not. As far as O/U's, I've patterned Fabarm, Beretta, Browning, Remington, Baikal, Yildiz... maybe one or two others, but I don't remember any CZ's in that mix. Browning and Fabarm patterned the best out of all of that mess. Some of the Berettas were good; some left a lot to be desired, unfortunately. None of the others I listed were guns I'd keep, based on the patterning board.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks. I don't really have a budget, but honestly it will be an occasional use gun so I don't have a desire to drop a lot of $ on it. Still I'd rather put a bit more $ in if that results in better performance. I'm open to suggestions.

It doesn't have to be an O/U as a SxS would likely work for me...but I assume a SxS of would be susceptible to the same problems.

I guess I could consider a single barrel trap gun but it would get used less in the field.....suggestions are open there as well. Thanks again.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Suggestions can turn into opinions pretty quick, lol, so I'll try to avoid pushing you in any specific direction...

Conventional wisdom says that real quality starts w/ Beretta and Browning, which I've found to be mostly true from a patterning standpoint. However, you can buy two CZ's for the price of a new Beretta Silver Pigeon or Browning Cynergy. To be fair, I know lots of people who've killed lots of birds with lower-priced guns. My advice would be to find a local shotgun club that offers loaner guns and/or used guns and shoot as many as you can to see what fits, what you like, etc. I would rather have a nice used Beretta than a brand new CZ, but that's just me. Even a used Beretta is going to cost more than a new CZ... the last two Silver Pigeon 20ga's I've sold have both brought ~$1500.

It's hard to beat a Browning BT-99 for a single-bbl Trap gun. I've seen used models as cheap as $800-$900. However, I wouldn't take one hunting.

Is your intended use hunting, clays, or both? If hunting, what kind? The problem with an ultra-light gun is that while they're a joy to carry, they can be punishing to shoot. That's OK when you're hunting sharptails in the Sandhills, where you're 98% walking and 2% shooting... not so good for rounds of clays where you shoot a lot. If I'm looking for a bird hunting O/U, I'm usually looking at a light-to-midweight 20ga w/ 28" bbls. If I'm looking for a dedicated clays gun, I want a heavier, longer 12 ga.

My current O/U stable consists of Berettas and Fabarms. Any future purchases will likely be Fabarm. However, I don't consider my O/U's as "occasional use guns," as I hunt as many days during the season as I possibly can.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Both hunting and clays. Hunting use would be occasional quail, dove, rabbit, squirrel, called crows...doubt I'd ever use it for turkey, might possibly use it while calling coyotes. I have M2's in 20 and 12 that I use now and I'm happy with.

The desire to try an over/under was really just something new to try and learn a little from. Losing that desire as it sounds like O/U's are subpar for most any use and require a high price tag to hopefully get one that's almost as functionally sound as an auto, which seems like insult to injury.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by IANative
Suggestions can turn into opinions pretty quick, lol, so I'll try to avoid pushing you in any specific direction...

Conventional wisdom says that real quality starts w/ Beretta and Browning, which I've found to be mostly true from a patterning standpoint. However, you can buy two CZ's for the price of a new Beretta Silver Pigeon or Browning Cynergy. To be fair, I know lots of people who've killed lots of birds with lower-priced guns. My advice would be to find a local shotgun club that offers loaner guns and/or used guns and shoot as many as you can to see what fits, what you like, etc. I would rather have a nice used Beretta than a brand new CZ, but that's just me. Even a used Beretta is going to cost more than a new CZ... the last two Silver Pigeon 20ga's I've sold have both brought ~$1500.

It's hard to beat a Browning BT-99 for a single-bbl Trap gun. I've seen used models as cheap as $800-$900. However, I wouldn't take one hunting.

Is your intended use hunting, clays, or both? If hunting, what kind? The problem with an ultra-light gun is that while they're a joy to carry, they can be punishing to shoot. That's OK when you're hunting sharptails in the Sandhills, where you're 98% walking and 2% shooting... not so good for rounds of clays where you shoot a lot. If I'm looking for a bird hunting O/U, I'm usually looking at a light-to-midweight 20ga w/ 28" bbls. If I'm looking for a dedicated clays gun, I want a heavier, longer 12 ga.

I agree 100%
My stable has a couple of K80's, Browning, Winchester 101, Franchi, Ruger, and something else I am forgetting.
The other thing about a cheaper O/U (or any cheaper gun for that matter) is when they break (and they will break) who are you going to get to fix them. I coached SCTP for the kids in my county for many years and would see parents go out and buy a Mossberg O/U for $600 and it would break (never saw one that did not) and the only place that could find to work on it was the factory. They would send it off and it would be gone 3 or more months only to get it back and in a few weeks, it would break again. The old saying of "buy once, cry once" was never truer in my mind that on O/U shotguns.

Last edited by pullit; 10/27/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Both hunting and clays. Hunting use would be occasional quail, dove, rabbit, squirrel, called crows...doubt I'd ever use it for turkey, might possibly use it while calling coyotes. I have M2's in 20 and 12 that I use now and I'm happy with.

The desire to try an over/under was really just something new to try and learn a little from. Losing that desire as it sounds like O/U's are subpar for most any use and require a high price tag to hopefully get one that's almost as functionally sound as an auto, which seems like insult to injury.

"Subpar" is subjective in this context, I think. Granted, of the game you listed I would only use an O/U for quail, choosing my Montefeltro or SBE for the rest. For squirrel, I'd probably opt for my old 20ga J. Stevens Single-Gun, simply because that's how I grew up hunting them. But 90% of my hunting today is upland birds- pheasant, quail, grouse- and that's what I use my O/U's for. I also prefer an O/U for clays games.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
IANative,

Those CZ Kansas boys know their way around a viable, competitive over/under. You can take CZ off your list of lesser shotguns.

One fella has been keeping record of how many rounds his CZ has had through it. I lost track as the thread he started has gone on for years and many pages long. The round count is into the thousands of heavy field and target shells.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep a CZ Bobwhite 20ga around for high volume steel shooting. I've had it 20 years, always goes bang and it does well out in the marsh too. With two triggers there's not much to go bad. I prefer two triggers on my shotguns anyway.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Erich,
Our CZ woodcock 12 gauge is regulated so well, you can double tap a paper plate at 50 yds, with brenneke black magic 3in slugs. I prefer more weight to a shotgun for switching over to slugs, as we spook grizzlies up here occasionally while busting brush for birds in the uplands.

The CZ skeet choke patterns about the same as my browning invector+ improved cylinder choke. The CZ improved cylinder patterns tighter than the browning improved cylinder. Confusing, as the CZ chokes constrict to a smaller diameter over the browning chokes. I measured them with calipers.

Those bottom locking lugs, are as big as a k98 Mauser. You won't rattle that shot gun loose with even the most powerful shells.

I dunno about that aluminum receiver on the ultralight though. Does it have the same locking lugs system?

Turkish walnut, color case hardening, crisp trigger, ejectors, hand engraving, hand checkering, 5 choke tubes, a hard case, robust locking system: lotta scattergun for $500.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/28/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.