Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Got a chance to pick up a nice rifle in 7mm WSM.

Anybody own one? Just looking for somebody with some experience with the cartridge. It seems like it would be a good all-around antelope/deer/elk and even moose cartridge with the right bullets.

Thanks

BP-B6

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got one. Darned near the exact same thing as a 7 Rem Mag in performance. Great cartridge and mines been a piece of cake to load for.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve got one. Darned near the exact same thing as a 7 Rem Mag in performance. Great cartridge and mines been a piece of cake to load for.

Kind of what I expected to hear. I like the fact that it is a little shorter over rifle wise in the same length barrels (looking at a 24" barrel)

I assume recoil would be about the same too.

Last edited by Termin8r; 10/14/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My father used to shoot one in F-Class, so the potential for accuracy is certainly there.

If you like the rifle and the price is right, then I'd get it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one that I never shot as well. What I need is some brass!!

SLAP
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by okie john
My father used to shoot one in F-Class, so the potential for accuracy is certainly there.

If you like the rifle and the price is right, then I'd get it.

Okie John

Nice. I am checking into ammo online. It is annoying these days to have rifles you can't shoot. I mean pre-pandemic we burned up a lot of 30-06 practing and now I wish I had all those rounds back as I am dangerously low and not wanting to pay $50 a box for Rem Corloks

I never dreamed there would be day when I could not walk into any sporting goods store anywhere and pick up 30-06 Rem Corlok or Win Powerpoint as much as I want for under $30 a box. I didn't even bother reloading because most of our Whitetail are killed inside 150 and the old classics killed them dead and were plenty accurate enough for that. So I shot as much as I wanted whenever I felt like it. Now it is one shot to verify zero before the hunt and 2-4 a year on deer. And praying I don't have to sight in. I wouldn't dream of buying a new scope because I would have to burn ammo to sight it in. Luckily I like the one I have

Last edited by Termin8r; 10/14/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slaptrigger

Hmmmmm, I know where you can find some!

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

+1

I've had several, and they've all been eager to please in terms of velocity and precision.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you're a reloader great cartridge.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yup problem with the younger generations they think they can buy whatever they want whenever they want for how much they want to spend. Maybe to much low grade dope or just having to much money that came to easy.damned if I know still makes me laugh. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was the one WSM that I really thought would really stand the test of time after they all first came out. I was clearly wrong.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slaptrigger

Here you go. LIsted this morning: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...mber/16248458/gonew/1/7-wsm-brass#UNREAD

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Kimber 7WSM. I used it for an elk rifle for several years. It shoots well with the 175 Weldcore. I tried to get it to shoot the 175 A-Frame without much luck, but I need to come back and try a powder with a different progressivity, because I believe barrel timing was likely the issue.

I ended up using Hornady cases. Norma cases are better, but have to be formed from 300 WSM and it's a fireforming PITA because they moved the shoulder.

I think it's the best of the 7mms. I've switched most of my elk hunting over to larger cartridges after a guide in one of the areas I hunt was killed at at elk carcass by a bear a couple years ago. Another was killed not that far away fishing earlier this year, which is a good reminder... but where there's elk and no big bears the 7mm is good. I also have a .300 WSM and I think I slightly prefer the 200gr terminal ascent to any 7mm bullet available now so I'm using that quite a bit.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/15/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I have a Kimber 7WSM. I used it for an elk rifle for several years. It shoots well with the 175 Weldcore. I tried to get it to shoot the 175 A-Frame without much luck, but I need to come back and try a powder with a different progressivity, because I believe barrel timing was likely the issue.

I ended up using Hornady cases. Norma cases are better, but have to be formed from 300 WSM and it's a fireforming PITA because they moved the shoulder.

I think it's the best of the 7mms. I've switched most of my elk hunting over to larger cartridges after a guide in one of the areas I hunt was killed at at elk carcass by a bear a couple years ago. Another was killed not that far away fishing earlier this year, which is a good reminder... but where there's elk and no big bears the 7mm is good. I also have a .300 WSM and I think I slightly prefer the 200gr terminal ascent to any 7mm bullet available now so I'm using that quite a bit.

Supposed to be a 175/180 Terminal Ascent coming out. The whole supply thing has slowed down the release of it but that and the 200 TA would make for a good bullet for my uses. Mid .600’s BC with some integrity.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If they can make it stabilize in a 1:9.5" barrel, that would be very exciting and the 7mm would immediately come out of mothballs. If it's fast twist only, I might re-barrel for that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Termin8r

Got a chance to pick up a nice rifle in 7mm WSM.

Anybody own one? Just looking for somebody with some experience with the cartridge. It seems like it would be a good all-around antelope/deer/elk and even moose cartridge with the right bullets.

Thanks

No experience with the 7 but it would be my 1st choice in a WSM. I have worked with the 270, 300 and 325 WSM's. The 325 is currently being rebarreled to 7 SAUM and should be finished any day now. I went back and forth between WSM and SAUM and settled on SAUM due to availability of ADG brass.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
That was the one WSM that I really thought would really stand the test of time after they all first came out. I was clearly wrong.

Of the WSM’s I thought the 7 made the most sense too.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never bought any of the high dollar 7 SAUM brass, reworked some 300 SAUM and now have enough factory loads and brass for longer than I will need it. Prolly the same for the 7 wissum nothing to see here go buy a 7 mm rem and load it down to those levels. It will allways sell when you get tired of chasing hard to find brass and factory ammo. Hey you asked

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one. Though have yet to shoot it. Performance wise basically the same velocity as a 7mm Remington mag, belt less brass, and available in a short action.
Seems to be a good cartridge.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If rightly twisted, a great LR rifle. Which means it will do well at short range, too.
7 WSM and the Berger VLD 180 = peas and carrots.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
326 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.