Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Jeff- care to expound on "forgetting the suppressor"?

Not sure if he's using the suppressor for recoil purposes on his magnums...if so, the 6.5 PRC does not need a suppressor for that reason (recoil), and the 6.5 PRC will kill elk with no worries.

If he wants a suppressor for other reasons...a shorter barrel would probably be better for hunting.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've often thought that a 20" 300 SAUM makes sense with one of the shorter/fatter cans they are making these days. Some of the modern midsize suppressors only add about 6-6.5" and 10-13oz when going direct thread attachment. For hunting, I'd not need it to be "hearing safe" like a 308 bolt gun, but it would be nice to get it down a fair bit in DB and knock off the edge when in the field. There are even 5" suppressor options out there that can tame things a good bit.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only other thing I'd throw in on the can stuff is the realities of mounting these things to barrels. I've found that if you are using a mount, rather than direct threat, you can go a bit under the generally recommended .100 of barrel shoulder engagement. The thread pitch I use on most of my guns is 9/16x24. The threads themselves are about .560 so to get to .100 of barrel shoulder you'd be at .660 which is bigger than most sporter barrels.

On a direct thread, I think that in the long run you'd have issues beating the shoulder up if you went much skinner than .100, but if you use a mount and red loctite, I have used a muzzle diameter as small as .620, which is what a lot of #2 barrels finish at at around 20-21". Basically because the mount stays on forever and any abuse of attaching and reattaching the can is taken by the mount itself, rather than the skinny barrel shoulder. Dunno if that makes sense or not. But for that reason I've drifted away from direct threads. If you run heavier barrels it's a toss up on that issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TX35W - have you noticed any accuracy drop off in using a QD mount vs. the direct thread?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Absolutely none, with the qualification that I'm only talking about the Thunderbeast CB mounts, which use big triangular shoulder--huge amount of surface area compared to a flat barrel shoulder. Wipe the carbon off the mating surfaces and they go back to the same POI every time. A few other companies use this design, too, I think.

I've noticed that mounts that lock or ratchet do not seem to be consistent enough for serious shooting; probably better off using direct thread on those styles.

The group on paper is a 20.5" #2 7-08 with a 5" can (100yards); the group on steel is a 20" Remington sporter profile 35 Whelen with a 7" can (730 yards). Both are benchmark barrels. Point of the pictures is that fairly light barrels with suppressors can still shoot lights out. At least for shorter strings.

Attached Images
7mm-08 162 eldm groupsmall.jpg (23.79 KB, 282 downloads)
35 whelen at 730 yardssmall.jpg (47 KB, 282 downloads)
Last edited by TX35W; 10/14/21.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is maybe a little better; this group is from a 23" 300 WSM with a sporter weight Krieger (.650 at muzzle) and 5" can. This gun has more of a target stock; the others have sporter stocks.

This is a 300 yard group (I think technically it was 290 yards) that I didn't mean to be a group; I wanted to see if taping the suppressor would change POI, even if only a little. I broke my position after every shot, put fresh duct tape over the suppressor, then re-established my position again. But once again, these lighter weight barrels will shoot with cans.

Attached Images
300 wsm 300 yard group.jpg (24.37 KB, 277 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TX35W
Absolutely none, with the qualification that I'm only talking about the Thunderbeast CB mounts, which use big triangular shoulder--huge amount of surface area compared to a flat barrel shoulder. Wipe the carbon off the mating surfaces and they go back to the same POI every time. A few other companies use this design, too, I think.

I've noticed that mounts that lock or ratchet do not seem to be consistent enough for serious shooting; probably better off using direct thread on those styles.

Good info. Appreciate it.

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with age you get wisdom , so in the past when i was younger i killed a few elk bulls with my bow and i had to track these great animals on a blood trail, the last bull i killed was with a 270 W.mag. and had a small blood tracking job to get that bull , but now as my age is now 68 years old i know longer want to track a wounded bull elk , so i will be up in a tree stand with a 338 Lapua with a 28 inch barrel or what i call a no track`em rifle. wish you and myself both good luck , Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/15/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
with age you get wisdom ..........
...........so i will be up in a tree stand with a 338 Lapua with a 28 inch barrel or what i call a no track`em rifle. wish you and myself both good luck , Pete53

This kinda contradicts traditional logic in the age/wisdom context. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, I have something similar to what you're asking about.

Rem 700 LA, with long Wyatt box and Hawkins BDL BM. Timney 532, straight shoe, 2-stage trigger. Proof Research Light Weight Mountain Hunter stock. Barrel is a 24" Bartlein, 8 twist, "green" carbon wrapped by my friend and gunsmith, Travis Bennett of Spanish Fork, Utah. The guys at Carbon 6 saw his work and called to send kudos to him. His carbon wrapping is phenomenal. He's wrapped 3 barrels for me and it won't stop there. The NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x42 with Velocity 600 reticle is mounted in Talley LW's. We at Barnes Bullets recently announced or new 208 LRX bullet. I've been shooting it since last Fall, when I had the rifle built. I run a Thunderbeast 9" Ultra.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I ran a few 5-shot groups at 1k yesterday, truing up my Kestrel 5700 Elite bluetoothed to my Leica 3200.com's.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well that...is beautiful. How is that 8 twist on thinner bullet jackets? Guessing a 10 twist won't cut it for the 208?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The group on paper is a 20.5" #2 7-08 with a 5" can (100yards); the group on steel is a 20" Remington sporter profile 35 Whelen with a 7" can (730 yards). Both are benchmark barrels. Point of the pictures is that fairly light barrels with suppressors can still shoot lights out. At least for shorter strings.

Interesting thread and great information. What can are you running with the Whelen? I’m putting together my Whelen right now and I’m setting it up with the Hybrid. At least that way I can swap it out on the .338WM.

If you are running the Hybrid (not a lot of bigger bore choices in 7”) how do you like it?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great set up GSSP!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well that...is beautiful. How is that 8 twist on thinner bullet jackets? Guessing a 10 twist won't cut it for the 208?

I'm guessing you are referring to my post and if so.....

One can use a 8.5 twist with our 208 LRX. Have not shot any cup n core 208's so I don't have an answer for you. The Hornady website suggest a minimum of 1:10 for their 208 ELD Match.

Alan

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Aces: interested to hear how yours turns out. A while back I asked TB if they would make a .358 ultra 7 and they said yes. The shop foreman had already written the program and I guess he was looking for an excuse to run one. Baffles and end cap will pass a .419 pin gauge. They have the program written so they might do more if you asked.

I think the hybrid has more volume; will probably be quieter. Maybe a little more recoil reduction.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks TX35W. I’m likely going to be waiting awhile before I can get a decent report out, it’s just a matter of the Beijing Biden jackboots approving another one for me. 😁

I’ve wanted a Whelen ever since I read about it as a young kid. I don’t know why I waited so long but I guess I “needed” all the other rifles that are in my rack a little more. I’ve never been needing for medium or big bores but this is my niche rifle. 20” 700 suppressed 35 Whelen for my all around SE AK rifle. I’m looking forward to seeing what the Hybrid will do but it’s “rated” up to an 18” .338 Lapua so I’m not worried about stressing it too much. I won’t be rapid firing….I hope. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I very much dislike detachable magazines unless it’s a M14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As others have stated, as much as I like the 7mm RM ( I have two), I wouldn't do a 7mm RM with a short barrel, 24" is my minimum for the 7. Based on your specs, I'd choose the 308 Win for this build.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks TX35W. I’m likely going to be waiting awhile before I can get a decent report out, it’s just a matter of the Beijing Biden jackboots approving another one for me. 😁

I’ve wanted a Whelen ever since I read about it as a young kid. I don’t know why I waited so long but I guess I “needed” all the other rifles that are in my rack a little more. I’ve never been needing for medium or big bores but this is my niche rifle. 20” 700 suppressed 35 Whelen for my all around SE AK rifle. I’m looking forward to seeing what the Hybrid will do but it’s “rated” up to an 18” .338 Lapua so I’m not worried about stressing it too much. I won’t be rapid firing….I hope. 😁

You will place zero stress on that can, for sure. 58-60 grains of powder at the end of a fat 20" tube...prob has the same muzzle pressure as a 24-26" 30-06.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you.

I've got 3 suppressed .358 bore rifles, used 9/16x24 threads for all of them. If you go this route instead of 5/8x24 (which requires a bigger muzzle diameter) definitely ask whoever cuts the threads to make the depth of the undercut as shallow as possible, not any deeper than the min thread diameter.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 257Bob
As others have stated, as much as I like the 7mm RM ( I have two), I wouldn't do a 7mm RM with a short barrel, 24" is my minimum for the 7. Based on your specs, I'd choose the 308 Win for this build.

If he weren't running a suppressor, a 20" magnum anything wouldn't make that much sense, but with a suppressor, a 24" barrel makes equally little sense. Short barrels are the standard for people who run cans. You lose *some* velocity but 70 grains of powder in barrel length X still pushes a bullet much faster than 45 grains of powder in the same barrel.

When I chopped my 7WSM I lost 75-80 fps. It is still 400 fps faster than my 7-08 shooting the same bullets at the same (close to max) pressure from a similar barrel length.

I happen to dislike short unsuppressed barrels but that isn't what we're talking about.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.