24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife got me a little Stihl saw to put in the camper , we use it to cut campfire wood, wish I had one for the last 30 years, great little saw, very handy.

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a cousin in La. that is doing a lot of tree and limb clean-up after Hurricane Ida. He’s using his “way above it’s pay grade”.....he’s very impressed. He’s using the Dewalt 12”

After watching a bunch of You Tube videos comparing various saws.....we just bought the little Dewalt 20V Max XR. It seemed to be the best “bang for the buck”! I did so small limb removal.....it worked great. I will be testing it out on a 16” to 18” Russian Olive soon......that should be a real test for it! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/15/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 40v Ryobi and a pole saw attachment. Pretty happy with it for general use. I don't cut down big trees anymore but its more than adequate for 6 in branches.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
I have a cousin in La. that is doing a lot of tree and limb clean-up after Hurricane Ida. He’s using his “way above it’s pay grade”.....he’s very impressed. He’s using the Dewalt 12”

After watching a bunch of You Tube videos comparing various saws.....we just bought the little Dewalt 20V Max XR. It seemed to be the best “bang for the buck”! I did so small limb removal.....it worked great. I will be testing it out on a 16” to 18” Russian Olive soon......that should be a real test for it! memtb

A few years ago I took out a Russian olive that had been dead for a few years. That took some serious cutting. The chain quality is the issue there, more than the power source.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Milwaukee saw is great for what you described, I wouldn't want to try and cut firewood with it though

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Milwaukee is in a class all by itself when it comes to cordless tools.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

There is a part II to this video if interested.

I think this review (and part 2) is what I watched before buying mine. As I recall, the Dewalt 16" was rated the top saw until Echo came out with their 58v 16" which slightly outperformed the Dewalt. I bought the Echo and so far am happy with my choice...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dude270
The Milwaukee saw is great for what you described, I wouldn't want to try and cut firewood with it though

Thinking this ^^^^ good for what they are dont over expect..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't personally know about the cordless ones but the guy I use for tree work has a handful and speaks highly of them.

As for corded electric - Mrs. Geno wanted a chainsaw but couldn't crank one so I got her the cheapest 12" worx brand from one of the big box stores. My limb saw wouldn't crank one day so I started using that thing to see how long it would take to kill it. I had 20 tonnes of water oak on the ground at the time. It made all the small cuts for those 5 100' tall, 48 dba trees. I started buying good chains by the ten pack for it. Last summer I had another one of those massive water oaks put on the ground and a live oak about half that size. It's made all of those small cuts as well. I have no idea when it will die. I put my limb saw back in the dark corner of the shop and only use the husky rancher 455 when I need big cuts made. That 100 clam 12" worx handles stuff up to about 18" like it was made for it.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This'n been workin great for keepin our apple and sugar maples from gettin unruly. Never used any bigger tho.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I bought an electric pole saw for pruning the orchard (a dozen trees). For a 1 day/year deal, I didn't want to mess with batteries so I just got a cheaper corded one and roll the generator out when I do the work.

I watched that battery saw comparison video that was posted earlier. He didn't say much about the chain quality and that's one of the biggest issues. A saw with a junk Chinese chain just isn't going to get it done.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pahick
This'n been workin great for keepin our apple and sugar maples from gettin unruly. Never used any bigger tho.

That little Milwaukee "Hatchet" is handy for small limbs and roots. I use one volunteering on a local trail maintenance crew and have cut 8+" stuff in a pinch. It takes a while but gets through. With the 6ah battery it runs a long time. Wish they were 18 volt like their pole saw the extra power would be nice. The m18 pole saw is awesome for limbing! The 18v Hackzalls with carbide blades get called in for dirty root removal. The Milwaukee chainsaw works well but is on the heavy side for packing in a long way, the Husky's save some weight. One the lookout for a used Stihl to try, the cost of a new one is excessive for a volunteer job:).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tkinak
Originally Posted by pahick

That little Milwaukee "Hatchet" is handy for small limbs and roots. I use one volunteering on a local trail maintenance crew and have cut 8+" stuff in a pinch. It takes a while but gets through. With the 6ah battery it runs a long time. Wish they were 18 volt like their pole saw the extra power would be nice. The m18 pole saw is awesome for limbing! The 18v Hackzalls with carbide blades get called in for dirty root removal. The Milwaukee chainsaw works well but is on the heavy side for packing in a long way, the Husky's save some weight. One the lookout for a used Stihl to try, the cost of a new one is excessive for a volunteer job:).

I find it invaluable. Used to take a gas back in huntin, but last couple years just throw this in the truck and head back in. Ill be screwed if somethin big falls before I get back out but ive been lucky so far. The only time it struggled was on our one cherry tree. Bear got in and broke a bunch of limbs. Half way through cleanin it up I said screw it and took it down. 10" and still green but it didnt heat up, which surprised me. Good little unit.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 60v Dewalt and have been very impressed. Bought it to keep in the UTV to clear trails mostly. Lots of dead elm has fallen and its went through everything Ive tried it on. You can replace the chain with an Oregon if if wears out. Great tool for its purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a place for battery chain saws, but they will never replace gas saws if you cut lots of wood, in my opinion. I generally do three to four cords per year for home use. Have another half cord of 16" dead locust to cut, haul home and split, then I'm done for this fall.

Going back to spring of 2020, the 12" DeWalt 20V has cut up over 3/4 cord of firewood at camp and plenty of other work at home. We use about a half cord each year at camp for fall/winter hunting seasons. A lot of the trees we cut at camp were dropped with a Stihl MS250 and my son helped trim them out with the DeWalt, while I trimmed with the Stihl. Went pretty quick with two saws doing the de-limbing.

Much of that camp wood was hauled back in 4' logs and eventually cut to 12" chunk stove length with the DeWalt.

Have two new Oregon chains for it that are still in the packs. Haven't yet touched the chain that came on it and it's still throwing chips after two seasons. Including trimming out the limbs from a big maple dropped at home this summer.. Also have a double sided hedge trimmer that runs on those 20V batteries and is a dandy.

I use ethanol free gas in all my 2 stroke stuff now and haven't had any more issues with bad fuel lines. Downside, that gas is now over $4 a gallon.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have no need for a chainsaw anymore (finally and thankfully), and not long ago I would never have considered getting an electric one if I again needed one. A while back, maybe a year and a half ago, I bought a a lawn mower, hedge trimmer and weed wacker, all Sthil and all battery operated. After having used the stuff for a year and a half or so, I would never go back to gas for that kind of stuff. I have since decided that if I needed a saw, just for homeowner-type use, I would probably get an electric.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two gas chainsaws but when we go Turkey hunting I use an ego electric to not spook the birds if we have to clear a limb or small tree. Also use one of the mini electric if it a small piece for removal or cutting brush out of the road for the side by side. Love them but not as much s the gas ones but they do have a place.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We have an Ego which works great for our modest needs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're heating with wood, I'd recommend gas. For most other people, electrics are the way to go. No gas to haul around, no winter maintenance, capable of cutting anything that most guys need cut.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought an electric pole saw for pruning the orchard (a dozen trees). For a 1 day/year deal, I didn't want to mess with batteries so I just got a cheaper corded one and roll the generator out when I do the work.

I watched that battery saw comparison video that was posted earlier. He didn't say much about the chain quality and that's one of the biggest issues. A saw with a junk Chinese chain just isn't going to get it done.

my local shop will make up a chain for any size you want. he has a couple of spools H-50 and some others..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
773 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.