Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Pugs,
how does that martini action remove the brass from the chamber? Is there an extractor included in the mechanisim or an ejector?

I'm not sure about the centerfires but the rimfire have a very robust extractor. It throws the brass 4-5' on ejection. Kinda have to be careful of folks a couple of benches down to be polite.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The International has a standard Martini-style extractor which initially levers the empty out partway and then a robust spring takes over and kicks it out. Pretty slick. Previous models of BSA Martinis simply extracted without ejection.

Mine kicks the empties to-hell-and-gone also, so I've taken to cupping my "spare hand" over the action as I open it to deflect them down onto the bench. Problem is that sometimes now they deflect back into the open action and have to be fished out. Gotta cook up a little screen to set up beside me to keep the empties under control. Or not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
Well crap. It could have been the guy shooting the F class .284 two benches down who was either breaking in a barrel or trying to wear it out. Even wearing double hearing protection it was loud. Hard to say at the rate he was shooting that braked thing so pulled the last shot and put another down there to show it was possible. I'll try again later.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rifle was the 1955 Martini International MK II with a Weaver T36 and the Midas plus.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great shooting pugs. Very nice. That rifle is a little different too. Thanks for posting your results. Nicely done!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't have any new rifles, so I grabbed this 130 year old rifle. This was a fun way to spend some of the afternoon, maybe I could have found a better day since the wind was playing a few tricks on me but it turned out OK for an old man and an old rifle.

I can't figure out how you guys got the big pictures on here. Sorry these are small, but if you click on them, they will get somewhat bigger.
Phil

Attached Images
X4PUInH.jpg (66.83 KB, 226 downloads)
x9VWCfa.jpg (32.51 KB, 225 downloads)
k3pwn5P.jpg (19.81 KB, 224 downloads)
tWfIv9j.jpg (16.72 KB, 222 downloads)
7HQR7i1.jpg (79.11 KB, 221 downloads)
Last edited by TenX; 10/13/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice shooting, and with what may be the classiest rifle yet!! Gotta love a Ballard.

Whose barrel is on it? The Ballard .22 barrel I got from you will be going onto a #2 action this winter.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TenX
Don't have any new rifles, so I grabbed this 130 year old rifle. This was a fun way to spend some of the afternoon, maybe I could have found a better day since the wind was playing a few tricks on me but it turned out OK for an old man and an old rifle.

I can't figure out how you guys got the big pictures on here. Sorry these are small, but if you click on them, they will get somewhat bigger.
Phil

That sure is a sexy rifle. Great shooting too!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a A W Peterson barrel. I've another one also, both shoot very well certainly better than me. I've shot much smaller groups with this rifle than the shots on this target would indicate. Do you think the difference is due to the moving from one aiming point to another rather than leaving it stationary is the fly in the ointment?
Phil

Last edited by TenX; 10/13/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its a A W Peterson barrel. I've another one also, both shoot very well certainly better than me. I've shot much smaller groups with this rifle than the shots on this target would indicate. Do you think the difference is due to the moving from one aiming point to another rather than leaving it stationary is the fly in the ointment?
Phil

I believe that is definitely not helping us. Ha ha. Or me anyway. I thought maybe my eyes, parallax, etc???

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Phil

That seems to be the problem I see. Shooting at the same POA yields smaller groups than if I were to shoot at 20 different POA’s and overlap the targets.

Ideally the front and rear rest are perfectly in line, however each time you move up/down or left/right- you’re disrupting that, although not my much.

Unfortunately I’m not good enough of a shot to prove that, but it’s a theory I happen to believe in.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by robertham1
Phil

That seems to be the problem I see. Shooting at the same POA yields smaller groups than if I were to shoot at 20 different POA’s and overlap the targets.

Ideally the front and rear rest are perfectly in line, however each time you move up/down or left/right- you’re disrupting that, although not my much.

Unfortunately I’m not good enough of a shot to prove that, but it’s a theory I happen to believe in.

I call bs on the statement about your shooting ability. You are very good, from what I've seen.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nice shooting, and with what may be the classiest rifle yet!! Gotta love a Ballard.

Whose barrel is on it? The Ballard .22 barrel I got from you will be going onto a #2 action this winter.

Yep that is something to behold there! Great shooter too!

PennDog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TenX
that is noe good looking rifle and it shoots. Thanks for posting. The pictures were fine when you click on them.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I was establishing my 50 yard zero for LAPUA Center-X in the Ruger Precision Rimfire this morning at a nearby public range, and got this five shot group after some adjustment:

So then, I figured I was ready to try The Precision Rimfire Shoot:

Seems I was not quite as ready as I had figured:

Do you think the soft padded bench top, covered in shag carpet, could have played some role?

Every day’s an adventure.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don’t sell yourself short.. that’s excellent shooting from a “budget” rifle!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TenX..
I firmly believe moving the rifle after every shot plays a big factor in consistency.

That’s why these types of shoots are so interesting. When holding the shooter more accountable, results change.

I was actually disappointed in my Vudoo results... but I keep looking at it from the overlaying all 20 shots perspective

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
There is some really fine shooting going on this thread.
I still think that for the most part if you were to look closely at those 10 round and up targets that have been posted, then lay them over the top of the single 1/2 dot target we are shooting you will find that the single rounds fired at each dot would lay within those 10rd. targets. Maybe not all, but the majority would.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin

Last edited by K22; 10/14/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certifiable
Thats what I think and thats my excuse (until I come up with a better one) that all are not dead center. Like you said, this was a very interesting and fun shoot and I thank bsa1917hunter for coming up with the idea. It was a great break in the week for me.
Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
There is some really fine shooting going on this thread.
I still think that for the most part if you were to look closely at those 10 round and up targets that have been posted, then lay them over the top of the single 1/2 dot target we are shooting you will find that the single rounds fired at each dot would lay within those 10rd. targets. Maybe not all, but the majority would.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin

Ha ha.. I love it.. I mainly posted targets of my iron sight 10 shot groups, but those don't count. A couple of my iron sighted rifles will never wear scopes, but that's just how it goes. I love looking at all the fine shooting rifles in this thread. Great shooters with like minds here. Glad to see everyone having fun in this event.. The other day when I was at my clubs KYL shoot, I had a guy offer to buy my 10-22. I said you haven't even shot it, how do you know you want to buy it. He said, "I just saw how you shot it". That was worth a laugh. That damn 10-22 ran all the targets 3 times in a row and you guys saw how I missed the 1/2" red dots. The KYL targets go down to 1/4" for the smallest one, as most of you know that have shot those events. So last Saturday, I gave up my 10-22 to let my buddy shoot it and I used my single shot savage FVT. I got my azz whipped with my own rifle!!! The way we shoot it is head to head. The first one to clear all targets, without missing, wins. While the damn Eley target rounds were sticking to my fingers and I was on my 6th target, they called out "winner"!!! He not only kicked my azz once, but I shot against him twice that day and he won both times. Running a single shot rifle against a damn accurate 10-22 does not work. Had it been my magazine fed MKII FVT target rifle, I may of had a chance, but it's one of those that I probably won't scope. My buddy offered me $700.00 for that 10-22 so I can buy the new left hand competition model. I'm still not sure If I'll take him up on his offer. That kidd barrel is shooting son of a gun...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Don’t sell yourself short.. that’s excellent shooting from a “budget” rifle!

I appreciate your encouraging words. But, I believe this rifle will do better from a more consistent bench surface. The comfort of the unevenly cushioned, 1970s shag rug bench top must seem very attractive to most of its users. While that “deluxe” bench doesn’t cause a problem when using sand bags, it has previously given my bipods trouble I don’t get on smooth, flat, hard top benches elsewhere.

And, I must confess, that’s not Ruger’s barrel on the rifle.

Every day’s an adventure.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is an enjoyable "match" concept. The thing that I have learned from it is that my Cooper appears to be competitive with most of the other rifles out there and that I need to find higher grade match ammo. I should also give it a try from my solid benchrest before getting too wrapped up in the ammo search.
The biggest problem now is that it is too cold in the morning to get the best performance from 22 ammo and then by the time it warms up in the afternoon the wind is up.

I really need to try this with my Tikka T1X 22 LR also.

Keep the results coming in.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.