Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With more and more pressure coming down the pike regarding the use of lead-free bullets for hunting or outright ban on lead projects, do you think this would kill off the 22lr? Perhaps "kill off "is too strong a term, but I can see the lead-free bullet requirement impact the 22lr and other rimfires more negatively than the other cartridges. Your thoughts?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nah. They will just cost more

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by leomort
With more and more pressure coming down the pike regarding the use of lead-free bullets for hunting or outright ban on lead projects, do you think this would kill off the 22lr? Perhaps "kill off "is too strong a term, but I can see the lead-free bullet requirement impact the 22lr and other rimfires more negatively than the other cartridges. Your thoughts?

Not a chance - the number of 22 LR produced each year is in the billions, not to mention how many 22 rifles there are.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not in my lifetime.
My son will inherit quite a stash.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now, if the liberals get their way and succeed in outright banning all lead bullets/ammo and not just for hunting......which I think is their true agenda, then each of us to decide whether we want to become criminals by shooting our lead 22lr ammo. I'm sure the liberals will include hefty fines and jail time to give their new law some teeth.

While it's true that billions of 22lr rounds are produced each year that is lead bullets, that may not translate equally when force to move to lead free bullets. Just a thought to consider

Yes, the cost of lead free 22lr is going to cost more and from I've research this ammo general isn't very accurate and the range is reduced due to bullets lighter weight. But here's the question, are you willing to pay Lapua Midas + prices for ammo that shoots like [bleep]?

I don't know maybe these anti-gun liberals combined with this covid shortages got me feeling cynical. I need to speed some time in front of my reloading bench this week!

Last edited by leomort; 10/15/21. Reason: spelling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone required lead free except the weirdos in California? I hope not. Besides we don't have any condors around here.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
Has anyone required lead free except the weirdos in California? I hope not. Besides we don't have any condors around here.

Yes. The Feds required lead free shot shells for Ducks & Goose hunting years ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why would they fuss with any of that when there litterally a hop, skip, and jump away from being able to take the guns away? Defund the police, drive them to quiting which is happening nationwide, crime is now thru the roof, create shortages nationwide, and lastly take away fuel and food and the perfect storm to achieve there agenda is in place. Not all but Most of these things I have mentioned have already happened on an alarming scale. Enjoy this forum fellas because it to is going to disappear in a very short period of time

Last edited by Trystan; 10/15/21.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Bugger

Yes. The Feds required lead free shot shells for Ducks & Goose hunting years ago.

I was referring to rifle/pistol ammo.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There was some research released earlier this year relating to eagles and lead in their blood levels. It’s only a matter of time until state agencies are sued into banning lead projectiles for hunting. Plenty of time to prepare for that outcome.

IC B3

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trystan
Why would they fuss with any of that when there litterally a hop, skip, and jump away from being able to take the guns away? Defund the police, drive them to quiting which is happening nationwide, crime is now thru the roof, create shortages nationwide, and lastly take away fuel and food and the perfect storm to achieve there agenda is in place. Not all but Most of these things I have mentioned have already happened on an alarming scale. Enjoy this forum fellas because it to is going to disappear in a very short period of time

Why? Because according to various liberal reports there are around 300 million firearms already owned. Without a national database to register all those firearms it's going to be difficult, not to mention expensive and slow, for the liberals to go door to door to confiscate everyone's firearms.

If liberals can restrict or make it so difficult and/or expensive to acquire ammunition, your firearm is nothing but a heavy paper weight. Liberals have learned after decades of fail frontal assaults on 2nd amendment, that they need to diversify their attacks and try back door tactics.

But I agree with you regarding today's environment is very scary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ccd
There was some research released earlier this year relating to eagles and lead in their blood levels. It’s only a matter of time until state agencies are sued into banning lead projectiles for hunting. Plenty of time to prepare for that outcome.

Yep. Only a matter of time.

Same thing that came about on steel shot only requirements for Ducks and Geese. Some researchers found one or two ducks or geese that supposedly died of lead poisoning from some lead supposedly ingested from a lake or stream. 😡

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/15/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So I can use lead weights for fishing that will fall into ponds but not shoot BBs that weight 1/100th as much. Typical retard government

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So I can use lead weights for fishing that will fall into ponds but not shoot BBs that weight 1/100th as much. Typical retard government

Can you still buy lead fishing weights ???

Haven’t bought in in years. I’ve got a life times supply.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah we still stock a lot of lead stuff. Haven't seen many that were otherwise

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wal-Mart in Pa does not sell lead sinkers anymore

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I forget when they started taking lead out of fishing terminal.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The ammo makers have been spectacular at answering consumer demand with new and innovative products. The cartridge will remain available with lead free alternatives at commensurate cost.

The real threat is impending regulations for shooting ranges.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We shouldn't put up with this crap

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I published an article in RIFLE magazine maybe 3 years ago about non-lead bullets. My research included shooting quite a few animals with CCI's .17 HMR, .22 Long Rifle and .22 Magnum ammo. All worked fine--and they aren't all that expensive. If lead-free regulations become more common, the price will go down, because they can make larger manufacturing runs.

With a few minor touch-ups due to other advances in non-lead bullets, also appeared as a chapter in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK III.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.