Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Jim_Conrad] #16529125 10/14/21
Lonny Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Does that burn well?

I believe there is lodgepole south of me. Fir and white pine(?) too maybe?

They say you can't burn pine...only hard wood....but not cottonwood.....ha!

Lodgepole is widely used here too. Right behind red fir for being common and burns well. I used to sell bug killed lodgepole firewood and nobody complained. Like MM said, it splits like easy when dry and has thin bark. Lodgepole is superior to ponderosa pine.

BP-B2

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: MontanaMarine] #16529129 10/14/21
L
logger Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
L
We have 6 cords of madrone in our wood room, with another 2 cords on pallets outside. We heat solely with wood and burn about 5 cords. I'll start falling madrone in November and December and will use either the tractor and Farmi winch or the bulldozer to pull logs to the limbing area. I did find out last year that it is possible to tip the tractor over on its side when trying to winch in a large madrone log - with slightly too much angle on the drag.

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: logger] #16529140 10/14/21
M
MontanaMarine Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by logger
We have 6 cords of madrone in our wood room, with another 2 cords on pallets outside. We heat solely with wood and burn about 5 cords. I'll start falling madrone in November and December and will use either the tractor and Farmi winch or the bulldozer to pull logs to the limbing area. I did find out last year that it is possible to tip the tractor over on its side when trying to winch in a large madrone log - with slightly too much angle on the drag.

I've heard madrone is good stuff for burning. I don't think it grows around here.

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: MontanaMarine] #16529790 10/15/21
10at6 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Little know fact, Within a few percent all wood has the same BTU content per pound, Or course a cord of larch is quite a heavier than lodgepole

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: MontanaMarine] #16529834 10/15/21
R
Raeford Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
While out bush=hogging earlier I noticed a big straight red oak at the woods edge all chewed up at the bottom, after a closer look it's a standing dead oak about 50' tall.
Coming down this evening and once cut/split/stacked should just about finish my firewood up for the year.

Lets Go Brandon!
IC-A

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Jim_Conrad] #16530199 10/15/21
B
BillyGoatGruff Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Does that burn well?

Jimbo,
When I was over in your hood I bought wood off a guy that bought it from some folks in Rocky Boy that had enough initiative to work to augment their welfare checks. In fact there was a gal halfway out of town that bought it by the truck delivered like Shane. I bought a permit and drove down to Zortman to cut my own exactly 1 time. Wasn’t worth it. But I’d bet there’s still some to be had from the methy cuzzins on Rocky Boy.

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Raeford] #16530329 10/15/21
slumlord Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Raeford
While out bush=hogging earlier I noticed a big straight red oak at the woods edge all chewed up at the bottom, after a closer look it's a standing dead oak about 50' tall.
Coming down this evening and once cut/split/stacked should just about finish my firewood up for the year.

Wouldn’t you rather saw up some shîtty pitchy pine or hemlock?

haha

You backwoods dumb shît

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: slumlord] #16530344 10/15/21
R
Raeford Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bout half of this is cherry....free to a good home!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lets Go Brandon!
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: MontanaMarine] #16530358 10/15/21
J
Jim_Conrad Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Does that burn well?

Jimbo,
When I was over in your hood I bought wood off a guy that bought it from some folks in Rocky Boy that had enough initiative to work to augment their welfare checks. In fact there was a gal halfway out of town that bought it by the truck delivered like Shane. I bought a permit and drove down to Zortman to cut my own exactly 1 time. Wasn’t worth it. But I’d bet there’s still some to be had from the methy cuzzins on Rocky Boy.

There was a big grant to the Rocky Boy tribe so that the members could go out and put up firewood for the old people.

They wouldn't do it...and embezzled the money.

So...the last local saw mill operator shut down and now only produces fire wood for rez.

At great cost!

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Raeford] #16530366 10/15/21
slumlord Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ya screw that

You need pine, be a hero

Save a horse ride a cowboy

Ya know the old iron men rather have rather used pine anything to fire their pig iron furnaces back in the 1830s

IC-B

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: slumlord] #16530375 10/15/21
slumlord Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cherry free to a good home?

I’d burn hella cherry in Heatmor furnace.

Wish I had a big cock like the pine burners. They’re awesome

All the same btu ya know. Samey Samey. Btus smee-tus

😂

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: slumlord] #16530376 10/15/21
R
Raeford Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
My fav-o-rite is 4 years on the ground gum.
So easy to cut.

Lets Go Brandon!
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Raeford] #16530382 10/15/21
slumlord Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lol

GFY

gum still not as good as some pine

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: Raeford] #16530430 10/15/21
ironbender Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Raeford
My fav-o-rite is 4 years on the ground gum.
So easy to cut.

So easy, a battery chainsaw can cut it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: ironbender] #16530483 10/15/21
R
Raeford Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep IB, battery would be the ticket!
Unless one is cutting standing dead locust.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lets Go Brandon!
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: MontanaMarine] #16530806 10/15/21
dubePA Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
Had a tri axle load of hardwood logs delivered one year. Guy set three black gum 6" logs on the ground, unloaded the hardwood logs on top of them so the logs weren't on the ground. Told me in case I hadn't noticed, they were black gum. Yep, noticed. So had the entire load cut/split/stacked and the gum was still laying there weeks later.

Dad came out one day, cut some of it and tried to split it. Had him pretty pizzed off. Solved that problem: Cut 'em up into 2" "hockey pucks" and once they'd dried out, would throw several in the stove at night. Suckers burned like a wad of oil soaked rags, but lasted thru the night.

Here in PA it's mostly hardwoods for the stove. Although have some friends with outdoor burners that burn pine in them.

Dead ash abounds. Locust, red and white oak are my primary choices. Been lucky the past few years to have ample supplies of the last three, tipped over from storms. Found a huge downed red oak this past spring that I haven't even gotten to yet. Over 24" at the base. Started making a trail to it back in July with the track loader and stirred up the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever encountered. Banner year in these parts for yellow jackets in the ground. It can wait until freezing weather.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: dubePA] #16530978 10/15/21
ironbender Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dubePA
Had a tri axle load of hardwood logs delivered one year. Guy set three black gum 6" logs on the ground, unloaded the hardwood logs on top of them so the logs weren't on the ground. Told me in case I hadn't noticed, they were black gum. Yep, noticed. So had the entire load cut/split/stacked and the gum was still laying there weeks later.

Dad came out one day, cut some of it and tried to split it. Had him pretty pizzed off. Solved that problem: Cut 'em up into 2" "hockey pucks" and once they'd dried out, would throw several in the stove at night. Suckers burned like a wad of oil soaked rags, but lasted thru the night.

Here in PA it's mostly hardwoods for the stove. Although have some friends with outdoor burners that burn pine in them.

Dead ash abounds. Locust, red and white oak are my primary choices. Been lucky the past few years to have ample supplies of the last three, tipped over from storms. Found a huge downed red oak this past spring that I haven't even gotten to yet. Over 24" at the base. Started making a trail to it back in July with the track loader and stirred up the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever encountered. Banner year in these parts for yellow jackets in the ground. It can wait until freezing weather.

Did you call the 2" pucks,,,dadgum?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: logger] #16531111 10/15/21
B
bbassi Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logger

6 cords or 6 FACE cords? Around here it's mostly measured in face cords, which is 1/3 of a full cord. This is about 15 face, and about a years worth for us. I try to stay at least a year ahead also. Mostly hard maple, cherry, Hickory, some red and white oak and recently a LOT of ash. Fuggen beatles.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
Die with memories, not dreams.

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: slumlord] #16531279 10/15/21
W
WhopperStopper Offline
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by WhopperStopper
I am always 2 years ahead on firewood. It takes me 7 cords in a normal heating season. I do have natural gas for a backup but the furnace hasn't kicked on for 4 years.

I have access to red and white oak so that's all I burn.

WS

I’d like to be but I’m considering my reserve to be a 1-year supply.

Although I have many logs ready to be cut into roundies and split. All close by. I have a staging area outside our driveway.

Lightning or wind is always toppling or killing something around here. I just take my backhoe and go snatch it and drag it home like a redneck caveman

We used to have a neighbor that would go out after milking the cows and dig around in the snow for a load of wood. Some night it was -10 and he would be scratching around. You talk about a cave man lol

WS

Re: Firewood. I'm caught up for this winter [Re: goalie] #16531309 10/15/21
Morewood Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by slumlord
Maybe if you’d smoke your pall malls under a white oak, you might kill a deer

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣

I dropped a doe smoking a cigar with an ipod in one ear listening to 80's metal.

😉

I'd have a hard time shooting a cigar smoking doe that was rocking to Pantera.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
739 registered members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1911a1, 12344mag, 100grNP, 68 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 928 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.