Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Does that burn well?

I believe there is lodgepole south of me. Fir and white pine(?) too maybe?

They say you can't burn pine...only hard wood....but not cottonwood.....ha!

Lodgepole is widely used here too. Right behind red fir for being common and burns well. I used to sell bug killed lodgepole firewood and nobody complained. Like MM said, it splits like easy when dry and has thin bark. Lodgepole is superior to ponderosa pine.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We have 6 cords of madrone in our wood room, with another 2 cords on pallets outside. We heat solely with wood and burn about 5 cords. I'll start falling madrone in November and December and will use either the tractor and Farmi winch or the bulldozer to pull logs to the limbing area. I did find out last year that it is possible to tip the tractor over on its side when trying to winch in a large madrone log - with slightly too much angle on the drag.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by logger
We have 6 cords of madrone in our wood room, with another 2 cords on pallets outside. We heat solely with wood and burn about 5 cords. I'll start falling madrone in November and December and will use either the tractor and Farmi winch or the bulldozer to pull logs to the limbing area. I did find out last year that it is possible to tip the tractor over on its side when trying to winch in a large madrone log - with slightly too much angle on the drag.

I've heard madrone is good stuff for burning. I don't think it grows around here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Little know fact, Within a few percent all wood has the same BTU content per pound, Or course a cord of larch is quite a heavier than lodgepole

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
While out bush=hogging earlier I noticed a big straight red oak at the woods edge all chewed up at the bottom, after a closer look it's a standing dead oak about 50' tall.
Coming down this evening and once cut/split/stacked should just about finish my firewood up for the year.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does that burn well?

Jimbo,
When I was over in your hood I bought wood off a guy that bought it from some folks in Rocky Boy that had enough initiative to work to augment their welfare checks. In fact there was a gal halfway out of town that bought it by the truck delivered like Shane. I bought a permit and drove down to Zortman to cut my own exactly 1 time. Wasn’t worth it. But I’d bet there’s still some to be had from the methy cuzzins on Rocky Boy.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
While out bush=hogging earlier I noticed a big straight red oak at the woods edge all chewed up at the bottom, after a closer look it's a standing dead oak about 50' tall.
Coming down this evening and once cut/split/stacked should just about finish my firewood up for the year.

Wouldn’t you rather saw up some shîtty pitchy pine or hemlock?

haha

You backwoods dumb shît

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bout half of this is cherry....free to a good home!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Does that burn well?

Jimbo,
When I was over in your hood I bought wood off a guy that bought it from some folks in Rocky Boy that had enough initiative to work to augment their welfare checks. In fact there was a gal halfway out of town that bought it by the truck delivered like Shane. I bought a permit and drove down to Zortman to cut my own exactly 1 time. Wasn’t worth it. But I’d bet there’s still some to be had from the methy cuzzins on Rocky Boy.

There was a big grant to the Rocky Boy tribe so that the members could go out and put up firewood for the old people.

They wouldn't do it...and embezzled the money.

So...the last local saw mill operator shut down and now only produces fire wood for rez.

At great cost!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya screw that

You need pine, be a hero

Save a horse ride a cowboy

Ya know the old iron men rather have rather used pine anything to fire their pig iron furnaces back in the 1830s

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cherry free to a good home?

I’d burn hella cherry in Heatmor furnace.

Wish I had a big cock like the pine burners. They’re awesome

All the same btu ya know. Samey Samey. Btus smee-tus

😂

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My fav-o-rite is 4 years on the ground gum.
So easy to cut.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol

GFY

gum still not as good as some pine

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Raeford
My fav-o-rite is 4 years on the ground gum.
So easy to cut.

So easy, a battery chainsaw can cut it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep IB, battery would be the ticket!
Unless one is cutting standing dead locust.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a tri axle load of hardwood logs delivered one year. Guy set three black gum 6" logs on the ground, unloaded the hardwood logs on top of them so the logs weren't on the ground. Told me in case I hadn't noticed, they were black gum. Yep, noticed. So had the entire load cut/split/stacked and the gum was still laying there weeks later.

Dad came out one day, cut some of it and tried to split it. Had him pretty pizzed off. Solved that problem: Cut 'em up into 2" "hockey pucks" and once they'd dried out, would throw several in the stove at night. Suckers burned like a wad of oil soaked rags, but lasted thru the night.

Here in PA it's mostly hardwoods for the stove. Although have some friends with outdoor burners that burn pine in them.

Dead ash abounds. Locust, red and white oak are my primary choices. Been lucky the past few years to have ample supplies of the last three, tipped over from storms. Found a huge downed red oak this past spring that I haven't even gotten to yet. Over 24" at the base. Started making a trail to it back in July with the track loader and stirred up the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever encountered. Banner year in these parts for yellow jackets in the ground. It can wait until freezing weather.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dubePA
Had a tri axle load of hardwood logs delivered one year. Guy set three black gum 6" logs on the ground, unloaded the hardwood logs on top of them so the logs weren't on the ground. Told me in case I hadn't noticed, they were black gum. Yep, noticed. So had the entire load cut/split/stacked and the gum was still laying there weeks later.

Dad came out one day, cut some of it and tried to split it. Had him pretty pizzed off. Solved that problem: Cut 'em up into 2" "hockey pucks" and once they'd dried out, would throw several in the stove at night. Suckers burned like a wad of oil soaked rags, but lasted thru the night.

Here in PA it's mostly hardwoods for the stove. Although have some friends with outdoor burners that burn pine in them.

Dead ash abounds. Locust, red and white oak are my primary choices. Been lucky the past few years to have ample supplies of the last three, tipped over from storms. Found a huge downed red oak this past spring that I haven't even gotten to yet. Over 24" at the base. Started making a trail to it back in July with the track loader and stirred up the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever encountered. Banner year in these parts for yellow jackets in the ground. It can wait until freezing weather.

Did you call the 2" pucks,,,dadgum?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logger

6 cords or 6 FACE cords? Around here it's mostly measured in face cords, which is 1/3 of a full cord. This is about 15 face, and about a years worth for us. I try to stay at least a year ahead also. Mostly hard maple, cherry, Hickory, some red and white oak and recently a LOT of ash. Fuggen beatles.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by WhopperStopper
I am always 2 years ahead on firewood. It takes me 7 cords in a normal heating season. I do have natural gas for a backup but the furnace hasn't kicked on for 4 years.

I have access to red and white oak so that's all I burn.

WS

I’d like to be but I’m considering my reserve to be a 1-year supply.

Although I have many logs ready to be cut into roundies and split. All close by. I have a staging area outside our driveway.

Lightning or wind is always toppling or killing something around here. I just take my backhoe and go snatch it and drag it home like a redneck caveman

We used to have a neighbor that would go out after milking the cows and dig around in the snow for a load of wood. Some night it was -10 and he would be scratching around. You talk about a cave man lol

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by slumlord
Maybe if you’d smoke your pall malls under a white oak, you might kill a deer

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣

I dropped a doe smoking a cigar with an ipod in one ear listening to 80's metal.

😉

I'd have a hard time shooting a cigar smoking doe that was rocking to Pantera.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.